U r sckd: worker fired by text message

1. LONDON (AFP) - A company has defended its decision to sack one of its staff by text message, claiming it was keeping in touch with youth culture.

Katy Tanner, a 21-year-old sales assistant, received the message while she was off work with a migraine, the South Wales Echo newspaper said Friday.

The text message said: "We will not require your services anymore...Thank you for your time with us."

"I don't think it's right to just text someone. At least they should have talked to me face to face," Tanner said.

"You're not allowed to text in sick, you have to phone. The fact that they texted me is a bit of double standards."

Several senior staff members at Blue Banana, a body-piercing and jewellery shop based in Cardiff, defended the decision.

But company director Jon Taylor added that an internal investigation was underway to see if "the ultimate action was ideal".

The retailer claims it tried to reach Tanner directly "five or six times" and passed on a message through her boyfriend before the text was sent.

And store director Ian Besbie added that the dismissal method was fair because texting was a part of "youth culture".

"We are a youth business and our staff are all part of the youth culture that uses SMS (text) messaging as a major means of communication," he said.

The company employs about 120 people in Britain, many of them aged under 21
  2. LOL How much would that suck!

I don't think its right. It really needs to be done in person, people deserve that respect. Although on second thought...maybe it would be easier to get "sacked" that way!! haha then they wouldn't have to watch me cry!!! *kidding.
  3. LOL, how is that professional? It's also in youth culture to send out emails in with stuff like: i need 2 c u 2day, but that doesn't mean businesses should send emails like that to clients.
  4. Wow. Never thought I would hear about that happening.
  5. That is outrageous! Technology is depreiving us of human contact!
  6. lol... never thoiught that would happen either~
  7. IF you're not allowed to text-in sick, I can't imagine how they convince themselves that it's ok to fire via text-message. That's definitely a double standard in my opinion.
  8. I think that is completely inappropriate. Especially since you have to pay for the text that fires yr ass.
  9. LOL! Oh yeah! That would suck. Not all services charge for receiving text messages but if hers did I would be pissed. I get fired AND have to pay for the text that told me I was fired? Wow.
  10. Lol aghh that must really suck!
  11. At the very least, they should have at least CALLED her!
  12. i think if i was firing anyone or vice versa, i want a face to face contact..... so at least if there are questions, i can respond accordingly or what not..
  13. flashbacks of sex in the city... "he broke up with me on a post it note!"

but seriously.. that's highly unprofessional.
  14. that is sooo unprofessional~!
  15. Wow ... unbelievable! That's so unprofessional! It's like breaking up with someone via a text message or sticky note ...