Truth to this MSN Article? (Machines not to use)

1. I just read this article on the front page of msn.com. It says what machines you shouldn't use, except it's focused more towards why guys shouldn't use it. Does anyone with a background in physiology know whether these same reasons pertain to women? The reasons why not to use mentioned in the article sounds logical even for women...
    http://health.msn.com/fitness/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100184337&GT1=10815

2. I read the first two or three things about the machines, I really can't see where you say it's aimed at men. Unless it's because they talk about muscle size and most women aren't into building muscles.

Or it could be that we have a different center of balance, therefor, they haven't studied if that alone would make it different from what men are doing?

I dunno. Personally I don't like machines that can hurt me. What little excersise I can do is mostly muscle toning and some resistant techiques with a rubber hose thingy my PT guy made for me.

3. Yeah, that's pretty spot on. I try to use free weights as much as possible as they mimic natural movements a bit more and bring in your stabilizer muscles. I used to only use machines cause that's all my work's gym had. As soon as I started going to the Y and using free weights, every little kink and injury I had, went away.
    A few notes..the lat pull down..the real problem is when people pull it down behind their necks. Instead, pull it down to your upper chest. Also, those hip flexor/inner thigh machines...waste of time. I see girls using these all the time hoping to get rid of their saddle bags, and it's an exercise in futility. Instead, use that time on the treadmill. Cardio is what's really gonna get rid of those bags.

4. I'm in a doctoral Physical Therapy program, and that article is spot on. You benefit more from using cable machines, free weights, etc. Instead of trying to "target" a specific muscle in a specific range you can functionally increase your strength which is much more beneficial. Also, by using free weights or cable machines you are forced to use core muscles (both abdominals and muscles in your back and sides) in order to stabilize as you do the exercises. Hope that helps!

5. Wow great article! I am definitely going to edit my workout routine now!

6. I'm going to have to ask my trainer about that because I do use some of those. He's got a master's in exercise physiology, so I do have a great level of trust in him. He does sit there and watch every little move I make and make sure I do it all exactly correctly, so at least I know I'm using the machines I use correctly.

7. Wow, thanks for the input everyone! When I had a trainer, he didnt have me use many of these machines and told me which ones were bad for you. The reason I had wondered about this article was because it was titled like it was geared towards getting men's attention, although I would have thought it would apply to women also.

8. Interesting article , thanks for posting!

9. Wow! I've used all those machines alot. I don't currently using them and it looks like I won't be going back.

10. Honestly, I'd try my best to stay away from any machine and stick to free weights.

11. I've been told about the shoulder machines, inner thigh machines, etc. at different times by chiropractor, physical therapist and trainer -- the only one my trainer uses with me (occasionally) is the leg press. I definitely prefer more functional, free weight training, and I have a totally different routine each time I train - I think that helps with not getting repetitive stress injuries which can occur with machine overuse.

12. thanks for the article :smile:

13. Those machines look pretty scary anyway. I usually stick to the reclining bikes- prop a book and an ipod on the handlebars and it's productive study time, though I'm not really "targeting" anything.

And they always seem to play baby deliveries muted on Discovery Health channel when I'm in the cardio room... which is highly disconcerting.

14. I asked my trainer about not using certain machines, some of which I think were on the list. He didn't have a reason why not to use them for me. He's been a trainer for years and has a master's degree and I get a good workout with him with no injury, so I'm not worrying about it. I think a lot of it depends on your technique and your body.

15. I definitely think it is especially important to engage your core and keep you spine in neutral/normal curve position on the leg press or else you can hurt your back! But if you do that and use the appropriate amount of weights I think it is fine, imo.

I use the hip adduction machine because my inner thigh muscles tend to be much weaker/less developed than my other thigh muscles.

I do think it is easier to be "sloppy" using machines.