Tried & true hair products for wavy, thick, frizzy hair!

Mar 15, 2008
Help me solve my hair dilemma!

My hair is naturally wavy and incredibly thick (native american), and is prone to some serious frizz. I blow dry and flat iron every day, my hair isn't damaged, but even with a flat iron, it still looks poofy/frizzy at bottoms. I use Redken All-Soft and a Redken shine serum.

Ladies, if you have hair like mine, what are your HG products??

Hmmm, I'm partially Native American, is this where my very thick and wavy hair comes from!?

I swear by Brazilian Blowouts, but if you don't want to do that I like:

Kerastase Bain Oleo Relax Shampoo and Masque
Living Proof No Frizz shampoo and Conditioner

Phyto Defrisant Balm
Kerastase Elixir Ultime

Reactions: RachelWest
I have an amazing hair stylist who thins my hair out when he cuts it. He styles it in layers which last for months.

I wash it with a sulfate free shampoo and use conditioner.

After washing, I treat with Bain de Terre Recovery Complex, then I blow dry it smooth with a ceramic ionic blow dryer and ceramic ionic round brush (or something like that), then use a ceramic flat iron.

The haircut is the most important part. Before the haircut, there was too much hair to deal with, so I never got it all smooth. Now it takes 10 minutes to blow dry and 10 minutes to flat iron.

My hair is incredibly coarse, thick & wavy. I get mine thinned as well. Works wonders!

I agree with a high quality blowdryer & flat iron to help reduce frizz. I also really like Paul Mitchell Super Skinny serum.

I have very thick curly hair that I leave curly 99% of the time but will straighten once in a blue moon. Doing a weekly Moroccan Argan Oil deep conditioning treatment really tames my frizzies! I like the Organix brand.

Thinning it out is the way to go...I have thick indian (Southeast Asian) and Sicilian hair which is a hassle. I can't use argan oil bc then it makes my hair greasy. I do love Frederic Fekkai with the olive oil in it. Great products!

How do your stylists thin your hair? Whatever mine does leaves the ends wispy.

My stylist is super-skilled. It took me most of my adult life to find him. ;) I think he uses thinning scissors but he knows what he's doing. He also cuts my hair in layers which helps the thinning process. It's possible that he has a strategy for which parts of the hair to thin and how the other hair will lay over it maybe?

I would search for the best stylist you can find who has a lot of experience with thinning thick frizzy hair.

EDIT: There are some videos on youtube, but I would still search for an experienced expert to do it:

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+cut+hair+to+thin+it+out

I just started using Redkin all-soft shampoo and conditioner and I love it. Although the real reason my hair might be so nice and bouncy now is because I had it thinned out. Most stylist are reluctant to take out a lot, but believe me, my hair seriously needed it!

I try to only use organic or as close to organic/natural as I can for my thick/wavy hair such as Josie Maran Argon Oil, Alba Botanicals and Carol's Daughter. I avoid anything with sulfates, parabens, silicones, phthalates, propylene glycol, etc.

I use the oils and creams when my hair is wet and let it dry naturally. I wash my hair 2x a week and use a curling iron 1x a week to help came down my curls and give my hair a more polished look. My natural waves are pretty ugly. I try not to overdo it with heat. I never use a blowdryer.

Hii. I have super thick, frizzy (well not with these products) curly hair. I'm also a cosmetology student as well. First of all, one thing they stress to us in school is always use professional products only. They really make a difference in your hair. (Basically everything at the drugstore is a no no.) And professional products are amazing. (And this is coming from someone who used to swear by Herbal Essences, Aussie, Panteen, unprofessional products basically.) I now use Deva Curl products and I notice a complete difference in my hair. They also have Deva Care products for those with thick hair that isn't curly. Most of the Deva Curl products are all sulfate, paraben, and silicon free which is great. They're somewhat natural and make my bleached hair feel healthy. Whatever shampoo & conditioner you end up going with it, be it drugstore product or not, look for a shampoo that says either sulfate free on the front or a product with almost no silicons. Silicons eventually dry out thick hair.
Also, talk to your hairstylist. They can cut the hair a certain way that it thins out the hair and makes it seem more lightweight. Don't overdo the heat. Only use heat on your hair once every two weeks if you absolutely have to use heat on it. I even think that's a lot, but most people aren't a complete 100% healthy hair fan like I am. HTH :smile: