Treatment for -extremely- oily skin?

1. After 30 minutes my skin has a defined oily shine to it. Over an hour to an hour an a half, it is saturated. And I wear makeup like foundation and powder-- it doesn't matter if I'm wearing something on my face or not, but it looks TERRIBLE combined with my makeup.

I use Clean&Clear oil absorbing sheets, etc. In another 30 minutes my face looks terrible.

Does anyone know of anything that can be done about it? Do medications for it even exist? My mother has oily skin, but out of her and my siblings, mine is the WORST. So it's at least inherited and not some mysterious thing going on, though I know oily skin is common. But you know what? I have never seen someone with oily skin like mine. Ever.

Anyone know if I have any options to treat it other than deal with it like using oil absorbing sheets?

2. On the bright side, I'm willing to bet you don't have any wrinkles at all.:wlae:

3. I have been to the dermatologists all my life for oily skin and pimples. I really hate it during the summer. My skin would get oily almost as soon as I put on makeup. Several things are available. I have tried all of these below and accutane worked the best. I had clear skin while using it and for about 2 years afterward. This medication is very strong though and they use it as a last resort becuase of all the side effects

Creams lotions and gels -

Benzaclin gel - worked well but gave me stomach problems whenever I applied it.

Retin A - Irritated my face too much cleared my skin but constant peeling - helps with wrinkles also

Tazorac - almost the same as retin a

There was also a sulfu type soap that worked ok for me. I think that I bought this over the counter.

Pills

Doxycycline - mild antibiotic to help with acne did not work on me

Spirnolactone- pill taken to regulate hormonal acne and oily skin - works ok

I also got skin medica peels and refinity peels. This helped a lot controlling my oily skin.

4. I wish I had an easy cure for you, as I know how miserable your situation can be. I have suffered from oily skin all my life too. ItalianFashion had some really good suggestions.

In addition, you might want to see a medical esthetician (there's one at my dermatologist's office). I get regular chemical peels and micro-dermabrasion treatments that really cut down on the oil. (Especially the chemical peels.)

MD Forte has a really helpful line of products for oily skin. You can start with a low strength to get adjusted and then gradually increase to something stronger. I use their products in addition to some by Obagi and Skinceuticals.

I do think, though, that a great place to start is with chemical peels and micro-dermabrasion.

Oh, and I also suggest MD Forte's masque. I use it every other day.

5. Hey, you got the JLo Glow! Think of all the money people spend on products trying to get that!:p

My skin and hair are both so oily that Citgo calls me regularly, begging for drilling rights.

What I do is wash my face with soap - yes, soap, and not some fancy moisturizing cleansing bar - plain old Mysore sandalwood soap, made in government factories and available for about 50 cents a bar at your local South Asian grocery store. Sometimes I use the drugstore clone of that Cetaphil cleanser stuff.

I exfoliate every day in the shower with one of those textured nylon washcloth things from Korea or Japan, or whichever is cheaper, and every week I do major exfoliation with plain white cane sugar, and use Queen Helene Mint Julep mask, and sometimes I use pearl powder instead of Queen Helene.

This is the same skin care routine I have used for decades, and it has successfully kept the oil flowing so that I don't get that clogging-related "blackhead" problem, although I do get the occasional zit, which I zap with a drop of Benzoyl peroxide.

I mix my age-defying makeup with HIP oil-free, and though as the years have passed, I don't use much powder, when I do, and when I used it all the time, it was always rice powder, which has excellent absorbing properties.

These days, I am sort of damned if I do, damned if I don't, powder makes those tiny lines and wrinkles more noticeable, and not using it leaves me with a generous helping of JLO glow, but - hey! that's in style now - so at the moment I am less damned without the powder.

Palladio makes very nice rice powder, loose and also in little tissues for touch-ups, and I do use those, but only on the oiliest part, the nose, and nose-side cheek areas, and that keeps the glow down to a dull roar most of the time.

Look on the bright side. Oily skin will keep you looking waaaay younger than you really are.:wlae:

6. Accutane stops the production of oil. It's a pretty serious medication, but it might be something you want to consider. Good luck!

7. I have oil skin too. I have a lot of issues with makeup too since it runs down my skin - especially eye makeup.

I've seen dermatologists too. Here's what works for me.

I use Cetafil cleanser. It is about $6 at the drugstore and is a really mild cleanser for oily skin. It helps clean your skin without stipping too much out of it. Sometimes afterward I use a toner too when my skin has been really oily. I like Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner.

Oil of Olay Complete moisurizer. It's important to moisturize because if you don't your skin will produce extra oil. I also use an eye cream (L'oreal revita lift) because everyone I know (except me) has crow's feet. I don't want to get them.

Tazaroc/Retin-A - This is a perscription retinol cream derrived from Vitamin A. It helps keep all the pores clear so you don't break out. It helps dry the skin out too. It also helps with wrinkles.

There is another product that is like benzyl peroxide that they gave me via perscription. It was a white gel that I had to refridgerate. It is supposed to dry the skin and keep bacteria from growing in order to halt breakouts. I found this too drying for my skin but it may work for you. I don't know the name of it.

As for make up, I have the the best luck with MAC powder formulas (i.e., eye shadow, blush). They stay put for a long time.

1-2 time per day I use the oil blotting papers. I like the ones from the body shop, Sally beauty supply, and Nordstrom Rack. The ones at Sally and Nordstrom Rack are the same brand (Palladio).

Hope this helps...

8. I have extremely oily skin as well so I can relate. People always tell me at least I won't have to worry about wrinkles and I always tell them I'd like a compromise lol.

I have used everything under the sun since I was 14 (I'm almost 27 now). When I got an ulcer from acne medicine I took I stopped taking pills altogether.

I would suggest getting chemical peels done. A friend of my mother's who's a cosmotologist started doing them for me once every 2 weeks for the first 3 months and then once a month after that. My face really improved after that. I also, as per her suggestion, only dry my face with paper towels. I haven't used a regular towel to dry my face in about 3 years. And I only use Chanel powder for foundation. Over the last year I started getting facials with a glycolic peel. Be careful though because not all facials are great. I went to one place that my mother goes to and my face looked worse after the facial. It all depends on the brand of products they use for me I guess.

As for stuff at home I absolutely love Mario Badescu products. My face is less oily now and I don't break out as often as I used to plus his stuff is not super expensive. I also started used a daily resurfacer by Dermalogica which is great. If you want a list of products just send me a pm and I'll help you out.

9. I suggest chemical peels, sulfur masks, and visiting your dermatologist!! You have a very serious case...

10. u can try proactiv it would really control oily skin, i've been using it for over 5 years now, really works for me at least.

11. Shhhhhh.... the active ingredient in the ProActiv "refining mask" is benzoyl peroxide, available at your local drugstore for about $10 for a bottle that will expire before you can use it up. :devil:

12. Sulfur masks!!!

13. What moisturiser do you use and how old are you?

Have you tried Neutrogena? The cleansing bar is the best I've found that's for oily skin. Also, getting regular facials really helps.

And before you try a chemical peel, it's a better idea to see is microdermabrasons work for you as that's a "lighter" treatment.

14. I love SK-II Facial Treatment Solution. It goes right deep into the sebum glands and inhibit any over production of sebum. I swear that my skin is so much less oily! I do blot ONCE a day though...I used to blot almost 4 times a day! And this moisturizer is light enough to use in the day and night. It also moisturizes pretty well.

Also, double cleanse. I cleanse with Dermalogica Ultracalming Cleanser, and then Bliss Fabulous Facial Wash or Dermalogica Anti-Bac Cleanser.

15. Definitely go to a dermatologist. A lot of that over the counter stuff has harsh chemicals and fragrances that irritate the pores and make them over produce oil.