traveling to NYC!!

1. Hey guys, I need help. I am traveling to NYC first time with the BF and family so I need some suggestions things to do there. Are hotels cheap/expensive?? and is renting a car an option or is there really NO PARKING there?? I am there for 5 days in August. How's the weather in August? I am from California so I don't really know what to expect.

What are some things that I should most def. see in NYC?
    and prices??

some things I am considering:
    World trade center Memorial
    Stat Liberty
    umpire state
    ellis island
    rockafella center
    get tickets for conan obrien
    shopping--- :roflmfao: I dont know where?
    eating places NYC is famous for
    china town
    Niagara falls flying to buffalo
    central park
    time square

what are the must see spots??
    thanks for your help guys:graucho:
  2. I would recommend the Roosevelt Hotel in midtown. It is moderately priced (for NYC anyway) and is walking distance to Fifth Avenue where you can shop till you drop. It is also one block from Grand Central Station where you can ride the subway anywhere. August will be hot and muggy, so bring skirts and comfortable sandals so you can walk. There are many great tours you can take with a hop on/hop off bus to see all the sights. You have a pretty good list of places- but try to just enjoy the 'energy' of New York and don't overschedule yourself. You might also want to take in a broadway musical like "Wicked" or "Phantom of the Opera" and you must have italian food in Greenwich Village or Little Italy too.

Here's the website for the hotel:
  3. The cheapest hotel I had there was $250/night at the Sheriton Hotel & Towers near Times Square. (ETA: The rooms were a little on the small side). Might want to check a site like for some hotel reviews and to get an idea of prices.

I'm seconding Roo's recommendations for maybe seeing some theater, and I'd also add that there are some great museums if you're into doing that stuff. August can get hot, so normal summer clothes and definitely comfortable shoes! I think you'd have more than enough to do in the city with out having to do a side trip to Buffalo to see Niagra Falls, but if you do go there, I think it is better to see it from the Canadian side. I don't know for sure as I've only seen it from Canada. I don't think you'd need to rent a car, seems like such a hassle, I always just take the subway or cabs.

Hope you have a fun trip:biggrin:
  4. it's kind of hard to find parking in manhattan. if u do, it's the parking lots and they're pretty $$. take the subway or cab. it'll be a nice new york experience. as for shopping, i can't miss out on 5th ave.
  5. Yea, I don't think you should do car rentals. There is No Parking, especially near 5th Ave. where most of the shopping is going to be (ie. Saks, Bergdorf Goodman, LV, Gucci, etc.) unless you plan to pay $$$. (like sadhunni said) and just the stress of driving in the city is going to drive you mad (TRAFFIC & JAYWALKERS) Buses, Subway, Cabs, or Just Plain Walking is the way to go.
  6. The last time I was there overnight we stayed at the W Hotel on 50th. Loved it! It's not too expensive, but it's beautiful!

There's no sense in renting a car. Subways and taxis (and of course walking!) will get you everywhere you need to go. Renting a car would be expensive & not worth the money. NYC is a terrific walking city.

Try to go to Serendipities III when you're there. It's famous and the frozen hot chocolates are out of this world! Be prepared for a 1-3 hour wait though (totally worth it!).

Go see something on Broadway! You have to if you're going to NYC!! It's a must.

My absolute favorite NYC restaurant is Churascaria Platform on 8th and 50s-something. It's a Brazilian restaurant that's out of this world. Everyone I've taken there has loved it!

Have a fantastic time. NYC is a great city no matter what you chose to see/do!
  7. I used to go to NYC for work quite often.

I always preferred to stay within a few blocks of Times Square. There are so many amazing restaurants within walking distance of TS including 'Restaurant Row', plus you are within a very short walking distance of the theater district, 5th avenue, 6 blocks from central park.

Don't rent a car (there's just nowhere to put it). You can walk safely around NYC, especially the TS area. It's lit up at night like DisneyLand and there are cops everywhere. It's not like the old square with the crime and adult theaters. There are a lot of tourists and families with strollers, etc. You'll feel very safe - just use common sense.

I recommend using the Red double-decker tour buses to get around. You can buy a two-day pass and get off and on all over Manhattan. They have evening tours which go over the Brooklyn bridge at night which is so much fun as the view is amazing returning to the city from Brooklyn and you meet a lot of interesting people on the busses. Because you can sit on the top deck you get great views of central park, united nations building, and yes the Wall street area where you can get off and back on at ground zero. You can also get off at the Staten Island ferry (which is free) and take the ferry across to see the statue of liberty from the bay. Get off at Staten Isl and get right back on the same boat (they make you get off, but you can just get right in line to get back on.)

DO go to the top of the Empire State Bldg. (I think it's better at night), and do all of those touristy things that the New Yorkers don't do. There's so much to do, to eat, to buy, to see!!! I love NY! (can you tell)

If you want to go to a show and aren't that fussy about which one to see, go to the "Tickets..Tickets.." counter with the red signs located outside at Times Square. Tickets sold here are about half price for several shows. They sell what's left at a huge discount on the same day of the show. I'm not sure of the time this place opens each day - 3pm? 4pm? Maybe someone else will know. I have done this about 10 times and never been dissappointed with the show or the seats.

As far as hotels, the company always paid, but an economical choice if you want to share a room is the DoubleTree. The rooms are all small suites so you can put two people in the bedroom and two people in the living room as the couch opens into a Queen and a door separates the two rooms affording privacy. You can ask for a view of TS and those rooms have a curved wall of windows when drapes are open you have an amazing view and you can look right down at the line for the show tickets to see if it's long/short etc. You have to shut those drapes at night to sleep because you're facing those bright lights.

Have fun.
  8. Tips from an NYC resident:

don't rent a car

NYC in the summer is extremely muggy and humid so dress comfortably

No reason to spend a fortune om hotels as it is doubtful you will be spending a lot of time in the room

I t think the Emabassy Suites in Battery Park City are great because you are in Lower Manhattan, on the water in Battery Park City which is beautiful in the summertime.

If you are familiar with priceline your best bet is to bid on a hotel there. Anything in Midtown or Lower Manahattan will be fine unless you prefer a certain type or standard of hotel

You must visit the Empire State, Rockefeller center, Times Square and see a Bway play.

WTC @ this point is kinda optional as it has just become a tourist trap but it is still worth it to go because Century 21 is right across the street and the other side has the World Financial Center which has the Winter Garden, gorgeous there @ sunset:love:

Whenever my friends visit I take them on the Circle Line dinner Cruise which goes around Manhattan

As for shopping, wow there's too much to list but you can walk down Fifth or Madison Ave and def go to SoHo and Union Square
  9. Wow I forgot all of the museums. You def wanna visit some our lovely museums and take the cute boatride in Central Park. I've been here most of my life and am still very much a tourist :smile:
  10. You are so lucky!!! I love New York.

Definitely make your way to Greenwich Village for lunch or dinner.

Shopping on 5th Ave is a must. Henri Bendel is the most amazing store.

Consider renting a bike and riding through Central Park and then have lunch at Tavern on the Green.

If you have Auto Club membership use them to book your hotel room. They get amazing rates. Last time I was there we stayed at the Wellington, which wasn't anything fantastic, but it was really close to Times Square.

Sorry, I can't remember the name of the place that sells the discount tickets in Times Square (maybe Tix for Tonight) but anyway, the location in downtown is never as crowded as the one in Times Square so consider going there for Broadway tickets.

Be prepared for heat. It is really warm and humid in August.
  11. I agree, the hotels will be expensive, no doubt about that, so definitely follow the advice of the poster who said to go for a moderately priced room. You won't be spending a lot of time there, that's for sure.

I also second the idea that renting a car isn't a good option- the subway and bus system will take you anywhere you need to go. Plus, it's such a walking-friendly city and you can find a cab anywhere (outside of rush hour).

It will be really hot and muggy in August, and expect a heat wave or two. The humidity is actually worse than the heat. Everything starts to cool down in September. It's hottest between 10-4, so drink plenty of water.

As far as shopping, IMO, NYC is divided into informal "districts"- you'll find shopping along Broadway in SoHo, which starts at Houston St. and ends at Canal. You'll find a mix of designer, speciality and chain stores here. You'll also find chain stores (Gap, J.Crew, etc.) from 16-23rd along 5th Ave, along 34th St (Herald Square, including Macy's), and 5th Ave. from 38th to 57th, which is also where the designer stores are. South Street Seaport has chain stores and there are also random locations scattered around the city for chain stores like Ann Taylor, etc. You should find everything you need in these areas, from LV to H&M. The big department stores, like Saks and Lord & Taylor, are also from 38th-57th along 5th. Bloomingdale's is a must see and is at 59th and 3rd.

In Chinatown, please remember to BARGAIN. The vendor price is rarely the final one.

I've had about 15 people come and visit me in the last 4 years, and here are their favorite places to see:

Dylan's Candy Bar
    Empire State Building ($12 per adult)
    The U.N.
    Wall Street/Financial District/The bull statue
    Central Park
    The Met
    American Museum of Natural History
    Union Square (people watching)
    NYU/Washington Square Park (good, cheap eats b/c of all the students)
    Little Italy
    Rockefeller Center/Radio City Music Hall
    South St. Seaport (unparalleled views of the Brooklyn Bridge)
    Times Square
    Flatiron Building (Madison Square Park is really nice, too- check out the Shake Shack)
    Statue of Liberty (accessible via the Circle Line, which docks at Clinton Castle in Battery Park, and you can hit Ellis Island in the same trip)
    Staten Island Ferry (completely free! the terminal is at the S. end of Manhattan).

The Empire St. Building is a better option that Top of the Rock, the observation deck that just opened at Rockefeller Center. They're really charging a racket there. The sightseeing buses are fine, too, and you can get those along 34th St. outside the Empire State Building (5th Avenue).

If you have the time, try and go off the beaten path a bit. It's a great way to discover those side neighborhoods that tourists don't often get to see.

With museums, you DO NOT have to pay the recommended price. You do have to, however, pay a penny or more, but definitely not the recommended price. I would rather support NYC museums by buying stuff from the gift shops, but that's just me. MOMA is the only museum that makes you pay full price, and if you have a student ID card, please bring it.

OH! TKTS is the kiosk that sells the discount broadway tickets, but ONLY do this if you do not care where you will be sitting. You only have a few minutes to make your selection and there's a lot of pressure, but the prices are good. You just have to have an idea of the shows you want to see and, if you can get a seating map of the theaters, find out where the partial viewing seats are. Partial views mean you're basically sitting in front of an obstruction like a pillar, that lower the price of the seat. Try Off-Broadway shows, too- they're more informal and just as good. Also, TKTS will eat up a significant portion of your day unless you get on line as soon as it opens. People will already be lined up, so don't be surprised at that.
    I've seen a lot of shows, so PM me if you want suggestions.

Um, let's see, as far as restaurants, go to and narrow it down by neighborhood and cuisine. Another good site to verify your choices is, where people rate restaurants and you can find menus (and prices) for each place. Depending on your budget, you can really do a lot without spending much. And street vendors are safe to eat from! But, avoid the Mr. Softee ice cream trucks, please. Those aren't clean at all.

Please PM me as you get closer if you need any help. I'd be happy to give you suggestions or any other trip assistance you might need. Enjoy your stay here! I love this place :cool:. Sorry for the super long post. I got carried away!

12. i live in nj so i never stay in hotels so i am no help with that... but i would definitely say no car... subway and walking is the only way to really see nyc. for shopping definitely have to check out fifth ave. even though i have been to the city countless time i am still a sucker for the tourist attractions... ellis island, museum of natural history, chinatown, little italy, you could even take one of those little cruises to the statue of liberty (thats one of my favs from when i was very little, like 5yo)
  13. Oh NYC.. you're making me sad, It reminds me of the ol' Plaza on 5th Ave, before it was condos I used to go there every year! :cry: But, Yeah no car and you should visit soho too! Make sure to also go to Times Square.
  14. i live in nj so i've never stayed in a hotel. don't rent a car, parking & driving is horrible there. you can get around on foot, taxi, subway. definitely go shopping on 5th ave and Madison ave. See a broadway play...for a big discount, go to the TKTS booth. they sell tickets for 50% off. you can google their website for more info. if you want to eat in chinaown, Hop Kee is the BEST. yummm. carmine's is also good (italian food). their servings are huge. there's a location in time's square. my bf and i went a few weeks ago, ordered one dish and we took home TWO TRAYS of leftovers. yes, two trays! lol...try to get to the museum of natural history or the metropolitan museum of art. plus, central park is right across from the museum of natural history.
  15. I live in New York City.

I highly recommend staying at the W Hotel on 50th and Lexington Ave. You can book online on the whotel site. You will find the best deals this way.

DO NOT rent a car. Period.
    Do not try to go to Niagra Falls. You have five days in New York. I have lived here 5 years and haven't taken advantage of one tenth of what this city has to offer.

You must take a walk in Central Park. Eat brunch at Sarabeth's on Central Park South in the morning. Shop up Madison Ave in the morning, hit the MET museum in the afternoon and then walk around Central Park in the late afternoon. This would be my ultimate day in NYC.

Also take some time to walk around the West Village. Get cupcakes at Magnolia Bakery (from Sex and the City) and shop at the Marc Jacobs store- both on Bleeker Street. Go to Pastis for lunch- in the Meatpacking District.

Some great places to shop:
    Calypso, Bloomingdales, Scoop NYC, Bergdorf Goodman, Barneys!
    These stores are all over the city.

The lower east side, rivington st. area, has the best nightlife for 20-somethings.

I second Carmine's for dinner. Tao on 58th and Madison is great. Light at the Hudson Hotel is also fun for a drink.