Travel purchases/information

funnyredhed

Yummy marron fonce!
O.G.
Jun 20, 2006
I have business travel coming up to London and Kuala Lumpur. I know that there are H boutiques in both places - and my hotel is directly connected to the KLCC mall where the boutique is located! So, my question - could I really save $$ by buying overseas? I know that I get VAT refunded, but then don't I just end up paying customs duty?

You may save a little in the UK, but with the bad exchange rate and the 2-3% extra charged by your cc, it's not really enough to make a difference unless you make a substantial purchase - then you run into the risk of paying for duty when you return (depending on if you are planning to declare your purchase or not). HTH!

In planning my itinerary to KL, my assistant has given me the "option" of connecting through Singapore, Frankfurt, or Dubai. Lilach????

Where might I get the best H buys??? That's what is really going to determine where I fly!!

definately frankfurt ! they do have two !!boutiques one at the airport and one at the posh goethestrasse. if you are a natural colour girl you might find something (neutrals seem to be german preferred colours )
ok then dubai. forget it. dubai is fab i love it to death and pieces and you have to visit for a few days (one is not enough) but as a tourist and unknown to hermès here and without the right last name the right jewelery and a known face forget it to even see a bag here.
(even i who lives there since more than a decade does not shop there as locals get serverd first and the bags never reach the shop the go directly to the homes of the royals and highly important locals . only refusals may hit the store but i do not buy these for personal cultural reasons i dont want something that was not good enough for the shaikha :shame: :lol: but the things that show up and are not taken are ugly anyways :lol: )
ah and about germany another plus the 16% vat and it is amongst the cheapest places in europe to shop for designer goods in general

lilach said:
definately frankfurt ! they do have two !!boutiques one at the airport and one at the posh goethestrasse. if you are a natural colour girl you might find something (neutrals seem to be german preferred colours )
ok then dubai. forget it. dubai is fab i love it to death and pieces and you have to visit for a few days (one is not enough) but as a tourist and unknown to hermès here and without the right last name the right jewelery and a known face forget it to even see a bag here.
(even i who lives there since more than a decade does not shop there as locals get serverd first and the bags never reach the shop the go directly to the homes of the royals and highly important locals . only refusals may hit the store but i do not buy these for personal cultural reasons i dont want something that was not good enough for the shaikha :shame: :lol: but the things that show up and are not taken are ugly anyways :lol: )
ah and about germany another plus the 16% vat and it is amongst the cheapest places in europe to shop for designer goods in general

Brilliant!! Absolutely the information I needed -- you are the best! Trip is being booked through Frankfurt first thing on Monday!

Yup, yup - Frankfurt airport! They had quite a selection of stuff while I was there a few weeks ago and the great thing is that you get your 16%VAT back right there and then at the store! (after a quick upstairs to get the forms stamped) Just make sure you give yourself enough connection time to shop around...

lilach said:
my pleasure if you want i can give the store a call on monday to see what they have in stock (if they tell me that is)
I'm not going over for about 10 days -- If you don't mind, I'll give you the "heads up" when I am booked so that I can get freshest intel!! Thanks so much - you are the best! :yahoo:

fopduck said:
Yup, yup - Frankfurt airport! They had quite a selection of stuff while I was there a few weeks ago and the great thing is that you get your 16%VAT back right there and then at the store! (after a quick upstairs to get the forms stamped) Just make sure you give yourself enough connection time to shop around...

Thanks - double confirmation! If I have to go that far on business, I might as well make it worth my while on a personal (fun) level!!