Travel bag dilemma

1. Tomorrow I leave for a well-deserved holiday in Munich, Vienna, Budapest. I've been to Munich and Vienna countless times but Budapest only once (my parents are from there).
    Here's my quandary- do I take:
    a) one of my beloved Balenciagas and worry about it the whole time? There is the image of me traipsing on a hiking tour of the Zugspitze mountain in the Alps with a Balenciaga bag that seems utterly ridiculous to me.
    b) my Gerard Darel bag just so I seem "in style"? Again- it's a holiday! Who cares what people think, right? But it's an annoying part of my personality that does make me want to seem hip wherever I go.
    c) my Melie Bianco pleather tote that looks like the Bulga large butterfly tote and has been my go-to bag for quite a few trips. Totally not designer, totally low-maintenance.

Help! I don't know what to pack and am paralyzed with indecision. What do you all take on holiday and if it's a designer bag, do you worry about it?
  2. Are you going to be activities that need more than one type of bag? Like dressing up and hiking? You might need more than one! Sorry if that only complicates it for you. But if you take only one - take the low maintenance one. I have a strong feeling that you might be getting additional bags on the trip! :yes:
  3. Holidays are great, if only we can travel in style without having to carry a rucksack/outdoor bag the whole time! Knowing the way I am, I would be out and about the whole day, not returning until dinner and probably going straight to dinner! It's nice that I can put it down wherever I want (rocks, grass, dirt) without worrying about it.

I've found that I don't have much use for a nice bag when I'm away unless I'm packing for a specific occasion or I'll have a small one just for essentials for the evening.
  4. Choice C and have a great time!
  5. I'd take option c, too. Enjoy your holiday without worrying about a bag.
    From my expeience it's always better to have a cheapo backpack for hiking.
  6. On holiday you should not have to worry about your bag, but enjoy yourself and have a good time.

I think option C would be best. You could also bring a pretty clutch or wristlet for nice dinners and evenings out.
  7. Think of it this way: take one that you wouldn't mind losing.

Bag snatching in crowded European tourist destinations is fairly common.
  8. C for sure.
  9. c - no contest. I never take anything I have to worry about on holiday.
  10. I would pick up a longchamp for the occasion.
  11. c definately, you don't want to be worrying about your bag all holiday!
  12. DEFINITELY TAKE C. And take a nice little clutch for evenings. That's what I do. You are still being your chic self, you just can't be your fashionable self. Travel is about ease and about paring down. Travel is about stuff getting scuffed up. Enjoy the vacation and don't spend your time worrying about your handbags and how good you look. You can do that when you get home.
  13. Great idea--stylish, lightweight and you won't have to worry. Enjoy your vacation!