Trauma = Purse Depression?

1. Over the weekend I had to put my cat of over 17 years to sleep. (the one shown in my avatar). He was a faithful friend, a constant companion and part of my family. I'm very, very sad.

My birthday is on Friday, and a few weeks ago, my boyfriend offered to buy me a purse for the occasion, which many of my fellow TPF'ers were kind enough to help me with, offering suggestions and narrowing down my choices.
    However, none of them are looking good to me anymore. :push:

I told my boyfriend not to bother getting me a purse now, and I feel bad because he has to scramble to think of something on his own.
    I've been online the last three nights trying to find a purse I really like and everything is just...blah.
    Is this normal? Shouldn't it be the opposite, where I'm trying to make myself feel better by purchasing useless things I don't need? :sad:

2. I am very sorry to hear about your cat. Take time to grieve for your cat and postpone other things for now. All deaths are very difficult to deal with and we all have to find our own way to get through it. My thoughts and prayers are with you and I send lots of warm hugs your way.

3. Yes, this is totally normal. I'm feeling the same way...My birthday is next month and my husband has been asking me about handbags that I want and I have NO idea... I'm a shopaholic and retail therapy is what I use to relieve stress..but for some reason...I'm lost about handbags this season..I have NO idea! I found a Juicy Couture bag that I think I like, but not sure if I'm "In love" with it yet....

4. I'm so sorry to hear about your baby, I lost my very much loved Weimeraner a few months ago and I understand what you are feeling right now. You will both be in my thoughts and prayers.

5. I am deeply sorry for the loss of your kitty... (hugs for you)....:heart: Just take your time and let yourself heal from the loss. Your days will get bright once again!!!!:yes:

6. i am so sorry for the loss of your kitty and friend. rose said it best...take time and grieve. our pets are so much a part of our lives and i know how sad you are feeling.
    hugs.

7. My heart goes out to you from London. I stood a few months ago in our back garden with my children sobbing over the loss of 'Mattie' who was a prince amongst cats. . . .:crybaby: I think it is at times like this that everything else recedes in importance. Maybe frivolous handbag (sorry, British!) lust is what gets us through the day to day grind of daily living, but when the things that really floor us come along, a handbag becomes well, just a handbag. And probably that's as it should be - I'd take your indifference to bags at the moment as a sign of love, and what more could any of us want than relationships that mean more to us than anything material possibly could, be they with humans or others? Thinking of you.

8. like what others have said, you may just need time to grieve. losing a beloved pet is tough; maybe you can get a belated birthday gift, when you find something you really want.

9. Give it some time, hon. (((((HUG)))))
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

10. I am really sorry for the loss of your cat.
    I've been through the loss of a much loved dog, and it takes time to grieve - right now, I bet nothing else matters, does it?
    Thinking of you....wish there was something more I could say.

11. I am so sorry for your loss. (((hugs))) Like mahbag! said, maybe you can get a belated b-day gift.

12. I'm so sorry. :sad:

This is completely normal.

When my Mum died, I went off fashion, in general, for about three years; which was, considering I've loved clothes and accessories more or less from birth, indicative of the effect bereavement can have.

I hope you start to feel more like your old self, soon. :flowers:

13. a big heartfelt hug to you about your kitty. I've had to put cats down before and know exactly how you feel.
    what a wonderful, caring, GOOD mommy you were that she had 17 YEARS on this planet! that really speaks volumes about the care she was given.
    I believe its normal to not be interested in anything after being dealt such a blow. I've gone through the same thing. Nothing seems to matter. But the feeling is temporary and will pass. And don't ever feel bad about feeling normal again (some people do and think they have to be bummed for "x" amount of time). When your spirit starts to come back to the surface, let it! You will enjoy everything you enjoyed before. I still have one of my kitties ashes in a very special urn and used to never be able to look at it. Now when I see it, it only brings me feelings of warmth and love and the appreciation that I had him for so many years (and lots of smiles from some very funny memories of him!)
    Take your time. Pamper yourself. Maybe just have a romantic dinner with your BF and worry about gifts later.
    :flowers:

14. I'm sorry to hear about your kitty.

15. Oh sweetheart I'm really sorry :crybaby:I know how hard it is to lose a loved one, no matter if they are people or animals. I've moved out and miss my cat (he lives with my parents) more every day. My heart goes out to you! :heart:

I agree with the others, it's perfectly normal for you to be "turned off" things you usually enjoy for a little bit. It's part of the grieving process, sad as it is. Don't worry though.... your cat is probably in kitty heaven right now and he'll always live in your heart :heart:

When you're ready for another cat, you could always adopt one from a rescue organization, that way you can make a difference and save a life. I'm sure your cat would love to have you surrounded by another cat to be your confident, especially if it's one whose life you saved :smile:

On that note... stay strong :smile: and happy belated birthday :shame: