Transplant Update

1. So.....

I know of you lovely PF ladies know my fiance needs a kidney transplant and that we've started the process of getting on 'the list'.

Last Friday, he had an angiogram as part of the screening process. He was hugely nervous about this because he had bypass surgery a couple of years ago (the poor dear...he's had some tough breaks). I mean really, really nervous.

But I am delighted to report that his angio turned out great! His heart is in great shape and he passed with flying colors! :yahoo:

The next step is some routine bloodwork, a chest x-ray, and an appointment with the transplant team urologist.

So we are getting closer to getting on the list and we are thrilled and hopeful.

And a little nervous. Well....I am. It is becoming more and more 'real' to me. He has been on dialysis since before we met and so that life is "normal" to me. As the transplant becomes more and more of real possibility....I find myself having little bouts of nerves and fears. I have been trying to be very pro-active and it helps somewhat. I journal during procedures and I plan. We're not married yet and are looking into legal concerns surrounding that (I don't EVER want the hospital/medical community shunting me off the side because I am not an 'official' family member).....I am hoarding my vacation time so when the page comes, I can leave work and not return for a few weeks...we've laid plans for notifying family....taken care of the things we don't want to think about (advanced directives, etc)....making arrangements for me to stay close to the hospital immediately following the transplant....and.....I am thinking I better have a plan for a ride to the hospital because I think I am going to be a wee bit nervous when the time actually comes!

If anyone has been through a similar situation and has advice/tips for dealing with anything mentioned above or with things I haven't even thought of....I am always open to helpful hints!

Oh yeah.....a few prayers wouldn't hurt! :yes:

2. He's going to get his kidney Leah, I just know it. Hang in there! :heart:

3. I will def keep both you in my prayers!

How old is he? What happened to cause his kidneys to fail?

My grandpa goes to dialysis 3 times a week. He will be on it for the rest of his life. Very sad.

4. You will be in my thoughts and prayers for sure. my grandpa had a liver transplant a few years back, and grandma wasnt nearly as organized as you are for the whole thing. i think your in great shape and hes really lucky to have you by his side. keep us posted!

5. Oh...if you only knew how disorganized I usually am! LOL

I hope your grandpa is doing well. Transplants are an amazing thing.

I appreciate the kind words so much!

6. Thank you so much for the kind words!

He is 50 and it was due primarily to hypertension (which is completely under control now!).

Three times a week here, too....four hours each time. I am sure you are familiar with how it works, since your grandpa dialyzes as well. I wish him all the best and easy runs!

For anyone with a loved one or friend on dialysis, I encourage you to go visit them at dialysis from time to time. Dialysis can be discouraging, depressing, boring....and it takes a lot out of a person. I usually go hang out at dialysis with him on my days off and it means a lot to him.

7. You'll know for sure the day you receive an incoherent phone call from me! :p

8. Leah I am SO glad to hear this!!! Please do keep us posted and you will have many prayers coming from me!! :heart:

9. I will definitely keep the forum updated on the transplant journey. There are so many wonderful and supportive ladies here!

And it will be a great place to come and distract myself during some of the sleepless nights that are sure to come! :yes: Besides....whenever I am 'here', he asks me "So, what's new on the Purse Forum"? He actually wants to know! :roflmfao:

10. I just want to add my best thoughts for your DF too! I have an aunt in her 50s who got a kidney transplant about 3-4 years ago and she is doing so wonderfully - you'd never know that she had been ill! I hope your DF finds a kidney soon, from what she says, the difference is night and day and almost immediate.

11. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

12. This is what I've been told!

DF was on dialysis before we met, so I don't know what 'normal' looks like. I am told if you had a room full of transplant patients and dialysis patients, the difference is striking, with the transplant patients looking healthy and robust and the dialysis patients.....not so much.

Hmmm.....I wonder what my 'new' man will look like? :p

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts!

13. You & your SO are in my prayers!

14. Just found this thread! Prayers for you & fiancee that all will be well & he will get his kidney soon. I know someone who had a transplant after years of dialysis & she has a whole new lease of life! Soon!!!! :smile:

15. Wow! Sending good vibes your way! My grandmother was on dialysis for the last few years of her life. I'm not really sure what caused her kidneys to fail but she was quite elderly (mid-80s) when she started having it done. It was quite sad but her situation was very different from your fiance's. Please take good care of yourself and I'm sure the kidney will come!