TPF Book Club! Help us get started by giving your ideas, tips, and recs!

1. So after getting the feedback of quite a few members in the Feedback forum, I thought it was time to go ahead with this.

Here are the ideas that I've got so far:

• A new book every 2 or 3 months. This way, even those who do not get a chance to read everyday or don't have the opportunity to read for longer periods of time could participate.
    • Throughout the 2 months, we could have suggestions on the next book and then take a vote a few weeks before the next cycle.
    • Nobody has to participate or sign up...Everyone is welcome!
    The next book that I will be starting is Au Paris, which seems to be similar to The Nanny Diaries from the description. We could start out with that book, if you all like.

Throw some suggestions at me! Book recommendations, how it should work, etc. I'm more than happy to hear them :biggrin:
  2. The Pact - Jodi Picoult

I didn't want to put it down. It also raises some interesting questions on how well you know your kids.
  3. ^oooooh anything by jodi. I haven't read the pact yet, I'm up for that one.
  4. The Pact is very good. And My Sister's Keeper! I love Jodi, I have two other books of hers on my to-read list.

I Know This Much is True, by Wally Lamb, will be my first real book suggestion. I've been wanting to reread it, actually. It is amazing. It deals with a character name Dominick, and his life dealing with his schizophrenic twin brother, Tom. There is so much more to it, but it's one of the best books I have ever read.

My next suggestion will be All But My Life, by Gerda Weissmann Klein. It is a holocaust memoir, and it is so beautiful and hopeful that reading it just grips you from within. It's hard to put down, though at times you have to because it is so poignant and, at times, infuriating. But sooooo good.

The only worry I would have is the time frame. 2-3 months is a long time for one book, which would mean only 4-6 books a year. Maybe 1-2 months would be better? It could, of course, depend on the length of the book.

Another suggestion would be to have a new thread for each book (with the current book as a sticky), so discussions could continue on older books without interfering with new discussions. This could make the time frame a little easier; if you want to spend more time on one book, you could skip the next, etc.
  5. wordbox, I thought the same thing - that it was a long period of time...But then I thought about those who don't read very often. IDK...I can finish a book in a few days, but I dunno how fast others can :s
  6. lamistella, I love to read and would love to discuss different books. I just followed your link to Au Paris and it looks like a good one to start with. Any book is fine with me....reading things that I wouldn't necessarily chose on my own would be an enriching experience.

This sounds like fun!
  7. Thousand Splendid Suns was great!
  8. I started Au Paris a few nights ago, and have only gotten to page 4 or 5, but so far it's pretty good! :smile:
  9. i just finished two AWESOME books:

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy

i read each book in a span of about two days each b/c i couldn't put them down.
  10. Glad to hear this because it just got chosen as the next book for my bookclub:tup:

Ladies, please keep me informed if we do decide to create a book club on TPF! I am pretty happy reading all sorts of genres. Currently, I'm reading The Piano Tuner by Daniel Mason, and Slow Man by JM Coetzee.
  11. I'm almost done with "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen- it's a great read!
  12. Great suggestions you guys!

I'm going to suggest Babyville from Jane Green :smile:

I guess I'll make up a list of the suggestions soon and we'll have a vote! :biggrin:
  13. Im currently reading Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster! I think everybody on this forum would enjoy this book!
  14. heheh fun book :nuts: i was going to recommend that too
  15. Thank you :tup:. I was about to ask for something similar . I'm in a phase that im desperate to have something fun to read