tPF 8-week Summer Challenge!

1. Guess what's coming up? That's right, it's swimsuit season! Is that a good thing, or a bad thing? That decision is up to you :biggrin:

If you're looking for a support group to help you look better for summer, look no further! This 8-week challenge is meant to help tPF members jump on the healthy lifestyle bandwagon, just in time for summer.

The challenge runs from Tuesday, April 25, 2006, to Friday, June 23, 2006. The reward? A smokin' summer body :p Or maybe a new bag, shopping trip or a day at the spa. It's up to you!

Here's how it works. Anyone who signs on for the challenge must check in at least once a week after your initial post. In your first post, tell us about yourself. What are your goals for the next eight weeks? How do you plan to achieve them? If you're comfortable with posting your weight and/or measurements, do so. You can keep us updated as often as you'd like, as long as it's at least once a week. Post your menus, your workouts, how you're feeling - especially when you need motivation. At the end of the eight weeks, see how much progress you've made. This is a great way to hold yourself accountable :biggrin:

I'll start! I'm 23 and I've been working out regularly for about 4.5 years. Two years ago I made a big lifestyle change and lost 20 pounds. I gained the weight when I moved to Orlando to finish college, and was partying heavily, lots of drinking and late-night trips to Arby's and Steak & Shake :shame: I put my foot down and started counting calories and trying new things at the gym. It took 5-6 months, but it eventually came off.

When I graduated school and started working full time, I gained about 5 pounds that I'm really wanting to lose. It's hard, because I don't want my life to revolve around food and what I can and cannot eat. But I've been doing worse than normal lately when it comes to my eating habits, and it's time to get motivated again.

Here is my plan:

Food: Eat 1,800-2,000 calories of clean, unprocessed food per day, 100-150 calories of that being a "treat" (chocolate, small cookie, etc.). Alcohol limit 3 to 4 drinks (I can't give this up! :shame: ) - wine or light beer only, no sugary mixed drinks.

Exercise: 5 to 6 days a week at the gym or running outside. Here's what my current schedule is.

Monday - weights (chest/triceps), 25 minutes intense interval cardio on the elliptical
    Tuesday - 25 minutes elliptical moderate pace, 20 minute stairmaster, 15 minutes abs
    Wednesday - weights (shoulders/legs)
    Thursday - 4 to 5 mile run, abs
    Friday - weights (biceps/back), 2.5 mile run
    Saturday - Off
    Sunday - 3.5 to 4 mile run outside, or Spinning class

That's how it works. If you'd like to join, please tell us about yourself, and what you're looking to get from joining the challenge.

Also, what day is good for weekly check-ins? Or, if you all prefer, you can check in whenever you'd like :biggrin:

Looking forward to kicking butt, woohoo :nuts:
  2. cristina this is a great idea i'm really gonna try to stick by your plan :shame:.......i have my first full time job this summer so i'm not sure how it's gonna go, but i'm determined to get back in shape.....

i'm 21 and in my first year of law school (which means lotsa stress eating for me)......i lost like 45-50 pounds in high school by pretty much starving myself which was extremely healthy, and in college i gained it all back so i'm determined to treat my body better and work out.....hopefully the support of the ladies will be the kick in the pants i need :p

even if i don't lose that much weight i just wanna build up my endurance and get my body back in decent shape (and eat healthier of course)
  3. Yay, jc! I'm glad you're joining :biggrin: Make sure you have a plan that's good for you. As long as you're eating enough and getting in some good workouts, you should do great! :nuts:

Oh, I was going to mention my stats, but I forgot. Here they are.
    Height: 5'5"
    Weight: 135

I'll have to take my measurements later, I'm at work and I don't have a measuring tape. I'd like to be around 130, and get my legs and tummy looking better :nuts:
  4. i'm 5'1 and my weight is waaaay over what i'd like it to be :shame:.......but hopefully that'll change i'll be sure to keep you ladies updated.....although i won't be able to start this until the end of may after exams
  5. It would seem impossible but I always put on weight in the summer and lose it in the winter. How is this possible???

Oh, yes - it is all the trips to Dairy Queen in the summer!!!! :sick:

okay - so, I own a Precor Elliptical and already work out 7 days a week for 50 minutes a day on the machine, but, I do easy programs, LOL - I hate to sweat...:p

My gluteal area is my problem area and I would like to keep my outer thighs and buttock area tight and up. :amuse:

I must make a pack to NOT eat the Dairy Queen twice a week - and to do the lunges :sick: :push: :sick: :push:

I am 5'6" (and 1/2) and weigh 114.

Hip measurement: 34 (this is fine, matches up top)

BUT: (no pun intended)

Outer thigh/lower buttock measurement: 36" (this is not fine)

So: I need to get the thigh/lower buttock area to a 34" too. :push: :hrmm: :push:

I hate lunges...any other things I can do???
  6. I hate lunges, too, but I do them :suspiciou They have really helped my quads. What about (don't throw anything at me, please :shame: ) squats? They kill my butt when I do them. Straight-legged deadlifts are great for your rear and hamstrings, too. I have been doing step-ups and hitting the stairmaster more, and I really feel it in my glutes the next day.
  7. Ok, I'm joining too!!!

My name is Sandi and I'm a sweet-aholic. I can't stop myself.

I am currently 5'-2" and weigh 120. I would like to lose about 10 lbs before my wedding dress fittings (which start in June). I want a really tone body too!

I will need to rejoin a gym, but in this two month period I will be moving from NYC to OH and trying to find a new job, so it's going to be super-stressful! When I'm stressed I eat sweets (and I'm stressed most of the time). I will also be starting law school in the Fall.

My FH and I have started the running program that Cristina linked in another thread! We're already a day behind though (it rained ALL weekend here in NY). This is such a great idea!
  8. Where to begin....I have been on a diet my whole life. I have been a size 14 and I have been a 4. Right now Im a 12. I was an 8 for about 5 years and after my father died...I ate my way through my horrendous grief. I was a 14 at Xmas...A TIGHT 14! I am a 12 now as I joined Nutri Systems in January. I have been off the plan the last 3 weeks due to vacation and my after vacation laziness. I am back on now!! I plan to get back down into my 8's.

My workouts go like this.
    I do 45 minutes on the eliptical Monday- Saturday
    And 1 hr water aerobics Monday- Saturday
    I also use the kick board and swim working on my legs 3 times per week after class...30 to 40 minutes.
    I also do a pilates video 3 days a week (its only 20 minutes but I love it)

I started back on the meal plan today and have been to the gym this morning and going to my water aerobics at 5:30 today. Pilates after dinner.

SO I would like to reach my goal by July. Looking forward to supporting each other through our own personal journies!! I spend so much time on this damn forum I might as well do something besides find new things to buy! THIS IS GREAT!! Thanks Christina.
  9. Yay for you guys who have joined in :nuts: I look forward to us all meeting our goals and feeling healthier and better about ourselves!

Sanguar, isn't that Couch to 5k running program great? I love it :biggrin: The best part is that you can do it anywhere, gym or not.
  10. I'll join! i'm 5'6" and way over where i want to be, weight-wise. There's a better Amanda inside of me, and i want to find her! I went to weight watchers once a week last summer, lost almost 30 pounds, and put 10 back on over the winter when i did nothing but wear sweatpants and stuff my face.

I'm going to weight watchers again, and i've lost about 4 pounds in two weeks. Every week after i go weigh, i'll update y'all with how much i've lost or not lost. i'd like to lose 50 pounds by the end of the year and 30 before the end of summer, which is a completely feasible goal.

I also want to start excercising very regularly. like every day. it's not feasible for the next two weeks with papers and finals and working almost full time on top of it, but after that, i'm going to look around and see if i can find some good classes to go to or hire a personal trainer. yay!
  11. It's great so far (we're in week 1), but I'm horrendously out of shape!!!
  12. Hello, my name is Jill and I am a sugar-handbag-aholic as well!

For my 30th birthday present, I lost 16 pounds. I am 5'1" and a half and went from 132 to 116 and was a size 2/4 and looked and felt great! I did it the right way, diet and exercise. I managed to keep it off until I got pregnant last October (2005). Then I managed to put on almost 50 pounds during pregnancy (a lot was water and three cheese olgas). After giving birth, i lost 20 pounds within 14 days, and since then, it has been a struggle but have gotten down to 127 (can get back into a 4 but not all my clothes). I desperately want to get back down to 116 because that is where I look and feel my best. I am very muscular from being a competitive figure skater when I was younger, so I have to watch what type of exercise I do otherwise I bulk up quite easily. Pilates transformed my body before- and I know it will again! So, my goal is to get down to 116 (or lower) and be a size 2 or 4 again. I cannot even tell you how badly I want my old flat abs back! NO MORE LOVE HANDLES!

What I plan to do about it:
    1. Go back on my diet plan (Provida) which involves 5-6 small meals daily. No white sugar(fruit is ok), dairy, oil, bread, sodium until I am at my goal weight, and then I can reintregrate these foods back into my diet as I did before.
    2. Drink a TON of water
    3. Pilates 3 times per week (at least 2 times on the Reformer)
    4. Need to do more cardio.

I will be happy to report on Tuesdays as that is my normal weigh in day!

Thank you for starting this program, and letting me vent!
  13. Hi! I'm joining! Hi, my name is May, I'm 22, and starting a summer internship away from home, so I am hoping to avoid junk foods and going out to eat since I will have less time to cook. Since last year in May 2005, I have lost about 25 pounds (gained from newly turning 21 and just drinking/partying). So now I'm around 138 and my goal is 125, but since I want to fit all my clothes still, I'll say 130 STABILIZED is my goal.

My goal is is to continue to eat 1500-2000 calories a day, include at least three days of cardio/strength a week, and just really avoid big big meals, which is tempting for college students who want more their buck. We can do this! Plus, I'm gonna go to Hawaii in August, so this will be perfect! Thanks Christina! I'm excited and I hope I can keep up with this. Over this year, I have pretty much established a habit of watching wat I eat and incorporating exercise in everything I do, but I need extra push for that last stretch!
  14. Well everyone, here I am!! Might as well join right?!

So you all know me as the purseblog gal but I've also found laziness in the past few years. A little background, I grew up as a competitive athlete, went to college to be on the varsity team, but I got sick then had surgery and have really not been in a good work out regime in about 2 years. But I have drastically changed my eating (check out the before and after shot! haha)

I don't know my measurements, don't have a tape measurer, but I know my weight/size! I am 5'10 and weigh about 145. I had been a 140 for a while but Spring Break and Easter killed that a bit! I am happy with my weight being around 135-140 but I want to work on toning and getting back in an exercise pattern.

I have to take it week by week and start off slow so I don' kill myself, so my goals for this week before I check in next week are:

-swim 4 times this week. Get up to 1500 yds / workout and then add in kicking with it (500 yds).
    - do 300 abs and 50 squats everyday
    - start back with some arm band exercises (stil lcan't do weights because of my injury)
    - WALK somewhere if it is within walking distance. I've been driving EVERYWHERE lately

food wise
    - eat 5-6 meals a day
    - drink more water!!!
    - cut out all refined and processed foods!! I've been bad with this lately

I want to revise my plan each week as I start to build back my exericse habbits and get into shape again

15. I'm game!

I was a happy size 8 which went with my 5'8" proportions. It happened from walking 3 miles 5x a week.
    That changed when I pulled a ligament in my knee and sat around with the same diet as I did when I was burning all those calories. :shame:

My goals:

- 4x a week walking + yoga
    - cut out cheese, sweets, and coffee
    - only eat out as a treat 2wice a week
    - stay injury free and positive! :lol: (I can get negative about the lack of quick results. :shame:smile:

Good luck ladies (and guys if you're jumping on the bandwagon)!!