Top Chef Season 3

I was wondering about her scar too! What's up with that??

I do not envy those judges at all with some of those ingredients. That Clay guy had to go.

I was wondering about her scar too! What's up with that??

I do not envy those judges at all with some of those ingredients. That Clay guy had to go.

Padma told the ladies of the View that she got that scar when she was in a car accident with her family when she was younger, (a teenager or before I think). She was always told to hide it at modelling shoots, but one day she let it out and every one loved it!

I like Padma, being from a East Indian heritage, I think shes a beautiful and sucessful role model... I do find her a little robotic and without emotion sometimes when she talks... sometimes she talks so slow and without passion it seems like shes been programmed or something.. maybe its just me :okay:

WHAT IS WITH PADMA'S SCAR?? I can't find the answer anywhere on Google either!!!:shrugs:
This is from an article in Vogue-2001:

I was fourteen years old and on my way back with my parents from a Hindu temple in Malibu. We were in the air for what seemed like a very long time, flying off the freeway and 40 feet down an embankment. We hit a tree dead-on and it stopped our fall. Blood, glass, dirt, and leaves were everywhere. We seemed to have been buried alive.

An ambulance carried me to the hospital. I finally passed out. When Iwoke up hours later, I had tubes coming out of several places in my body. My right arm had been shattered and my right hip had been fractured. After surgery, I regained the use of both of them but was left with a long scar on my arm. It was half an inch wide and seven inches long. I wished I’d had a conversation with the doctor and asked him to cut on the underside of the arm instead, where the scar would have been hidden. Now it was too late. But my parents and I had been fortunate. We all survived.

I went to college on the East Coast. I had always stood out for my height, my skin color, my very long hair. But now, all people noticed was the scar. "It's such a shame," they would say. "She's so pretty, she could have modeled." It angered me that people saw me as a ruined beauty. Inside, I felt I was pretty. But while I loved fashion—I knew about everything from Elsa Schiaparelli and Chanel to Halston andJohn Galliano—I never thought I was pretty enough to model, even without my scar.

In my career as an actress, the scar is no longer an issue. I cover it when necessary, but I prefer not to, especially in my private life. I love my scar. It is so much a part of me. I’m not sure I would remove it even if a doctor could wave a magic wand and delete it from my arm. The scar has singled me out and made me who I am. “Everyone knows that Padma has a scar."

The scar does make me special. I've started seeing my body as a map of my life. I can tell a story about every imprint life has made on my skin: the mosquito bites on my back from when I slept under the Sardinian sun the summer I first fell in love, the scrapes on my leg from the rocks in the Cuban sea during the filming of my first movie.

People have told me that my scar makes me seem more approachable, more vulnerable; that it inspires a certain tenderness. Ironically, the greatest gift fashion has given me is the courage to expose what is most vulnerable, to be proud of my body. Including my scar.

I find Padma to be a little odd. She's certainly striking, but there's something cold and contrived about her. Someone else used the word robotic and I totally agree! Plus, she must have been botoxed to the hilt because her face does NOT move nor does it have a single smile line anywhere! She irks me.

Aside from her, I totally got into the season opener!!! I felt bad for Clay, but yes it was clear he was out of his league. In the words Rachel Ray used to describe herself, he's probaby "a cook, not a chef."

That Hung guy was clearly positioning himself to be the cocky yet talented character. They do get the most airtime! His geoduck ("gooey duck??") dish looked really, REALLY gross....very beige and unidentifiable. But I guess if Bourdain liked it, it must've been good.

Can't wait to see more!

^^^
I know what you mean, Kristy. She does seem a bit robotic, but a bit less stiff than the first host, Billy Joel's wife...I forgot her name :confused1:.
I found this from the NY Times:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Satanic Verses author Salman Rushdie 56-year-old wed his fiancee, Indian actress Padma Lakshmi 32-year-old, in a ceremony in Manhattan in the US on 17th April 2004. [/FONT]

fc-rushdie_padma.jpg

OMG. She's married to Rushdie??????? Geez - it's like an inbred society - unbelievable!!!! They all just seem to marry each other - like no one can be a plain Joe. What a pair!
She is a bit strange. I watched reruns of Season 1 the other night and Billy Joel's wife was sweet - but maybe she didn't renew because she didn't want to. I dont know if Padma would have had Botox at such a young age? My daughter asked what was wrong with her mouth because it didn't move. I was just assuming it was like an "air" - you know, like an eflection of how she "is".
Eh. This is going to be a kick-butt season! Yay!!!! :wlae:

Padma and Rushdie split...anyway, love Top Chef and am glad Ted Allen is there this year. I see there is a chef from JeanGeorge...forget which one but must have had some connection to Collichio (sp). Should be an interesting season. Bourdain always makes me laugh.

I love this show too. The ingredients in the first show amazed me. I have never seen a black duck before.

I think Hung will win. One thing that bugs me is that I dont get to taste what they make :lol: judges are so lucky!

I LOVE this show!! I became addicted one day when they were running a Seasons 2 marathon. But I've been missing most of the 3rd season so far....I need to start watching it!

I read that Padma is back together w/Rushdie...anyone else think Sandy was voted off prematurely? I think the fat bald sweaty guy should have gone...looks like he can sweat into the food at any second. Gross.