tokidoki & vegetarianism.

1. okay so, for eight months tomorrow i will have been a vegetarian, or at least i thought i was.
    i know this seems to be a bit of a stretch to be posting here, but i promise it has relevance!

i was doing some research today on raising vegetarian children and such (no, i'm not planning on having children anytime soon, maybe not even at all) and i stumbled upon some things that really upset me.
    i have been eating a lot of things that aren't really vegetarian (containing gelatin,mostly... and i didn't realize mcdonald's fries contained beef extract -_- so yeah. big uh-oh!) and i'm feeling pretty low right now.

i have never considered becoming a vegan, though, because of my love for cheese and ice cream...
    but i did, however, turn to vegetarianism for ethical reasons as opposed to medical reasons, and i'm considering at the very least cutting down on eggs/dairy.
    eating animals hasn't been an extreme issue for me, but my real problem seems to be wearing them.

i don't wear fur or anything.
    but the problem for me is wool and leather.
    obviously, tokidoki bags have the little pieces of vachetta leather and for awhile i've been trying to use the fact that i am only vegetarian and not vegan as justification for toting them around.
    i'm not so sure anymore.

i want to continue collecting these bags and i really don't want to let them go, but my heart/conscience is telling me i shouldn't be using leather products.
    part of me is wanting to just sell off my small collection and make no further purchases.
    but i reaaally don't want to!:crybaby:
    it's a struggle for me.

so, i was just wondering if there were any other vegetarian toki-fans... and if so, how they are dealing with this!
    i have a feeling no one will reply with the answer i'm wanting to hear and that i'll realize i'm in the wrong here... i don't know!
    any input is welcomed, as long as it isn't going to be hateful or insulting (though i wouldn't expect it to be)
    i wouldn't push my ethics upon anyone else, i'm just seeking advice.
  2. Hi Ashley,

I totally understand how you feel. I attempted to be a vegetarian about 8 years ago. I only lasted about 8 months. It is really a commitment and I commend you. I think you should mull it over and if your gut is telling you that it is not in accordiance with what you feel is right than you need to do what will make you feel comfortable.
  3. If you feel strongly abut this issue, which it sounds like you do, then maybe you should sell your collection of bags that have leather. Maybe you can get some carmella's I don't think they have any leather. Also you could collect other Tokidoki items that do not have leather. These are just my thoughts on the subject...
  4. I don't know what I'd do if I was in your situation because I can't imagine it... A lot of people think I'm vegetarian, though, because I hardly eat meat or chicken or fish... I'm just not a big fan of it and don't care for the way most of it is prepared. I'm definitely a fruit and veggie (and salty snacks) girl.

I guess you just really need to look deep down inside and think about how you're going to feel in the long run. Is this going to eat away at you? I feel no cute thing is worth throwing your conscience out the window.
  5. They still have the leather loops for the qee.

6. all tokidoki has leather
    think of the little loops for qees
  7. Umm, harm reduction? :sad:
  8. I think if you feel really strong about it and won't feel comfortable carrying them around, maybe you should get rid of them.
  9. Hiya,

I think you have a clear conscience when it comes to wearing leather. A justification such as I am a vegetarian and not a vegan is simply a mask to hide your uneasiness with wearing leather.

Truth be told, you will most likely be happier not toting around a bag with leather trimmings, as you have so eloquently mentioned in your post, that the reason of your becoming a vegetarian in the first place is because of ethical reasons.

I know it will be hard but there are sacrifices that has to be made when you first choose to become a vegetarian.

Here's a quote I would like to share with you;

"You cannot run away from awareness; you must some time fight it out or perish. And if you be so, why not now and where you stand?"
    --Robert Louis Stevenson
  10. I wish you luck with your vegetarianism if that's the choice you make. But I know from experience that a lot of young people will be vegetarians temporarily and it will not stick. (I'm not diminishing your belief/goal) I'm just saying, at 37 I've been around, known a lot of people and seen many people go through a vegetarian *phase*. - Maybe put the bags away for 6 months to a year, and see if you're still a vegetarian and make a decision then.
  11. I've had had similar discussion with friends about expanding the politics of vegetarianism in all walks of life. I'm an ex-vegetarian myself, so I've had the problem you're currently experiencing

In regards to buying fur & leather - If you're buying the goods secondhand, you're doing good to animals & the environment by reusing the goods, instead of just throwing it away which is wasteful. If you're trying to come up with a compromise, keep the bags that you've bought second-hand or traded with other people. That way you can still enjoy the bags because you know you're reusing them. Another great compromise would be to keep all the merchandise you have now which contain fur or leather and just make a promise to yourself never to buy them again unless you're receiving them second-hand

It's an extremely difficult moral decision to make when trying to be politically correct in following whatever tenets you make of vegetarianism. Just don't get too disillusioned with it for now, because that's what drove me crazy. If it starts interfering with your life's routine, then it becomes a problem of prioritizing yourself over the general "good" of everyone else
  12. If it really bothers you then I say sell the baggies... but QueenLouis is being realistic by saying that most people do not stay vegetarian. Personally I was a vegetarian because of my parents from about 7-8ish until 13-14ish so I was basically raised as a vegetarian (it took me only until recently to really be able to eat mainly meat for meals) and my church was practically all vegetarian but somewhere down the line I know everyone broke it for a month or so at least :lol: so think of how you'll feel in the long run. If you keep thinking about it and it keeps bothering you I say let them go. But also remember how you'll feel down the line.

BTW... why do you have a problem with wool? Just curious since wool isn't really taking away or killing the animal. It's shaving them and then they grow a new coat or so I thought anyways. someone correct me if I'm wrong :smile:

Oh one question I'm kinda wondering about... what type of leather (animal) is vachetta leather?
  13. Wiki says: Vachetta leather is used in the trimmings of luggage and handbags, popularized by Louis Vuitton. The leather is left untreated and is therefore susceptible to water and stains. Sunlight will cause the natural leather to darken in shade, called a patina.
  14. haha thanks vikitty. I actually looked at wikipedia too... still doesn't let me know what kinda animal it tis :hrmm: I hope it's an edible animal or I'd feel guilty
  15. It's not referring to an animal -- it's referring to a style. So it could be any kind of animal hide, treated a specific way to get a specific look.