Togo or Swift?

Based on two conversations with my boutique I would go with togo. I felt like I was being directed away from Swift in the most professional way. The colors are gorgeous in Swift, but for some quiet reason I was moved in another direction.

Interestingly, I felt the same done by my SA in Paris! She wasn't very encouraging about the swifts somehow.

it depends on how many birkin u want in the future. If this is ur first birkin ,than go for togo!! Swift is more like soft BOX leather(so of course scratch more),but colors on swift are very nice(and the weight is lighter than togo), both for 30cm are not slouch much!!!For me birkins are like accesories, need diffrent colors and leather for matching clothes.

ITA. I'd also like to add that you're probably better off w/ togo if this would be either your only Birkin or the only one you'll have for several years.

In a 30, I like swift, it really depends on whether you like the grain of the leather or not.

I agree with GF - I like 30cm in swift or mysore/chevre - because of its fine- grained texture for everyday use. I actually have 30cm in swift, togo, clemence, chevre/mysore, croc and ostrich. (What can I say? I am obsessed about birkins!) :graucho:

As for wear, I think it really depends of how you use it - will you be using it everyday? How sensitive are you to wear? What's more important to you - how color will show or wear on the bag? The answers to these questions should help you decide which bag is THE one for you.

I've gotten to a point where I don't break down evertime I see a scratch on my bags anymore so I have been using my swift/ostrich/mysore more often. What's the use of buying these bags if you constantly worry about "wearing" them, right?

Plus, believe me, once you've bitten the H bug - there is no turning back. The DARK SIDE (where most of us on the H forum are) will compel you to expand your H collection! :nuts:

I'm not rough with my bags, but I do hate scratches. I'm going to listen to all you H experts and go with a togo. I also do not like slouchy bags and batwings are definitely a big no no, so swift is out.

M_Butterfly, feel free to hijack this thread at any time. ;)

I can't believe I'm heading into the DARK SIDE...this is scary

Nafnaf, that's a good decision. I had wanted to get one in Swift too, especially since the colors come out looking so gorgeous, but after seeing some photos of the Birkins in swift, in which all of them slouched to kingdom come, I was finally persuaded not to waste my money on a swift Birkin :sad: I like my Birkins to slouch in an elegant and classy way, not every which way KWIM?

And not the DARK side, the ORANGE side!! May the Hermes force be with you.

Not the DARK side Nafnaf, but the ORANGE side

I agree that Togo is a good first choice for a Birkin. I now own a Birkin and a Kelly in Togo and I just love the grains. My birkin is a 35 and when it's really loaded up, it can get heavy, but I am getting used to it. I have only had it for two days. ;)

Ozzysmom, Congrats! How long did you wait for your special birkin? How did you know that color was the right color for you? I'm assuming you brought yours from the local H boutique?

If you are very worried abt scratches - Togo

If you love colours that show up beautifully - Swift

I've been told that Togo and Swift will slouch the same over time if it's a 30cm.

And agree....once u start, it won't be your only birkin for sure. it's addictive!!! :nuts: So I would just go with whatever tickles your fancy once you see it.

My very first Birkin is 35 in togo and I was very happy with this choice.
It's still absolutely perfect after a few years. The second one was 30 in clemence and I love it best. What surprised me the most was how much lighter it is than my togo. Also, it seemed tiny at first, specially when fully closed, but it tourned out to be so spacious, and I never wear it fully closed anyway...:yes:I think that I am going off the topic here.
I just received the 30 in gold swift, the same as Jasanna has, and it's gorgeous.
The color is very rich and the leather is wonderful to the touch - soft and luscious; but I think that it's much more delicate than togo. I am not sure if I'll keep it yet, since it may not work for me - I have a very active toddler and it's not the right time for me to baby the bag...
Also, if you live in the area with rainy weather, I would definitely go with togo.
Basically, for the first bag that you want to use everybody and take everywhere I would choose Togo (or clemence - my favorite casual leather) over the swift. It also depends on the color you want, with darker colors being more practical in both leathers, but specially in swift.
Good luck to make a right - for you - choice, and enjoy!

Elena

Hello,

The Togo leather is much softer than the Swift, and does tend to 'slouch' with time. However, if you take care of your treasure, you will be able to keep the shape on your togo. (some tips are available from me on that) The Swift leather will maintian the shape of the bag beautifully. I think it would also help if you had a particular colour in mind.

At the end of the day, look for your dream colour and size, as the leathers from Hermes are all SUPERB. Each have their own character that develop with wear.

Either way, your first Birkin should be a purchase of fun and great excitement!

I hope this helps you.