To what extent are you influenced by the forum?

This forum has influenced me into spending a small fortune. :smile: Seriously reading this forum every day (several times a day like an addict) it has at times worked me up into a buying frenzy. I find I "need" a lot more the more I read. The bags are all so gorgeous I see something posted on the ebay finds or inventory update and I start imaging why I need this bag or that one and end up snatching up more than I should.

Has this blog ever changed your opinion of a bag, a color, a leather?
It's helped me get over my fear of box. And now, I search for my box Kelly... and admire the gals on here who have one (thereby getting my partial fix!)

Led you either to like something or dislike something, buy or request something or take it off your shopping list?
It has made me completely swear off the JPG Birk... I was waitlisted for it, but when it came in, I thought about all I'd read, and while I ADORED it (it even came in with my 1st colour choice and leather!) I declined. So I consider it a mistake I did not have to make to understand!

Conversely, have you found yourself resistant to certain consensus views on the forum?
On a few leathers and colours, of course. I like pressed leathers, the structure and durability. Others would rather get a shawl instead. To each their own. I hardly get offended, it just means more for me! LoL

The forum has taught me a lot about different leathers and colors that I didn't know before. I'd seen different things on H bags, but didn't know what anything was called beyond my own thing. This has been really helpful as I'm launching into a new Birkin (Black Togo 35, gold hardware). Thanks everyone for helping me learn so much!

Conversely, have you found yourself resistant to certain consensus views on the forum?
Still not a fan of ostrich. I don't know what it is...the dots maybe? Knowing that there used to be feathers there? I don't know, it just isn't very appealling to me.
LOL! Wow, sometimes I reread my own posts and think, "Theses ladies must think I'm an egg short of a dozen!"

This is such a funny comment AuthentixLux! I feel the same way. There is something about the dots that kind-of weirds me out. I think, like you, it might be because I know an animal's feather used to be there.

This forum hasn't so much influenced me so much for or against something, but it has served as a wonderful resource in learning about the different leathers and colors and what looks best with what. It has given me the Hermes education I could not possibly get on my own (with no boutiques near me :crybaby:).

This forum has influenced me into spending a small fortune. :smile: Seriously reading this forum every day (several times a day like an addict) it has at times worked me up into a buying frenzy. I find I "need" a lot more the more I read. The bags are all so gorgeous I see something posted on the ebay finds or inventory update and I start imaging why I need this bag or that one and end up snatching up more than I should.

amen sister friend. which is why i'm trying to stay away. before posting here i had nada hermes. nada. then i saw japster's cadena and quitte ou. that was my first piece of hermes. within a week or so i was at the sale and bought 4 scarves. and then it's just spiraled. i went through my closet yesterday i have no joke about 40 hermes boxes! :Push::wtf:15 or so scarves, bracelets, stuff for my bag. and i wonder where my crushing debt came from :wtf: :crybaby:no mas.

but truly were in not for this forum i wouldnt know about the beauty that is hermes. so i am thankful for that. but not as thankful as i have for the wonderful friends i have made. that means more to me than anything. :love:

tPF has not changed my buying habits or influenced me pro or con regarding a particular style of bag. It has added to my knowledge regarding leathers and colors and I am certainly grateful for that! I have also made some fabulous friends here and that is the most important of all!

Jedimaster, that is a great question. I consider myself a handbag enthusiast. I enjoy collecting handbags of attractive designers. But when I seriously considered purchasing an Hermes handbag, I used this forum to acquire the knowledge that I needed as part of my research of the company and its products.
I have found so much information that I was looking for and additional information that I know was valuable.
I believe the opinions of many are patronizing the company, and many view points have encouraged the love and obsession with the brand. I find myself gradually obsessing over the fashion house as well. Most threads in this forum are positive, and they hold the company in high regards. Who would not be influenced by that?

1) This Forum has definitely influenced me towards the Birkin. Prior, I was happy with my Kelly collection and Chanel Classic Flaps--I never planned to expand, but have now sold off most of my Chanels. My diet is 90% Hermes! I also never would've thought twice about Etoupe and now it is my favorite color. Lastly, my love for scarves has grown.

2) I too, adored the JPG Birkin and originally thought I just HAD to have one--now, thanks to you gals, I see this is probably not the best bag for my size and/or lifestyle.

3) I still prefer textured leather to smooth--I don't think that will change anytime soon!

jedimaster, i won't answer your questions, per se, as everyone has pretty much summed up what i think, but i will say this:

It never fails to astound me the generosity, kindness, humour, passion and information that this blog generates amongst such a large contingent of women without a whiff of *****iness (that i have noticed anyway). I am addicted for life, I need this forum, it feeds my soul. I feel a part of your community, even though I have yet to purchase my first H item, that's how welcoming you are and inclusive.....

jedimaster, i won't answer your questions, per se, as everyone has pretty much summed up what i think, but i will say this:

It never fails to astound me the generosity, kindness, humour, passion and information that this blog generates amongst such a large contingent of women without a whiff of *****iness (that i have noticed anyway). ....

Well put! It makes me crazy when I hear that old stereotype about women being competitive and undermining toward other women. In actual fact, women by and large are really helpful. I think its the way we are raised by our moms (and/or dads) to take care of other people (that, and learning to settle disputes without resort to physical violence!) and its to be admired.

This is a really great thread! I can say that this forum has made me grow to like croc after seeing all the stunning photos.

This forum has made me much more educated about Hermes and helped me to appreciate the WHOLE brand...not just the purses.

Jedimaster: What a great thread!! I would say I'm with Rene about the forum influencing me into way more many bags than I ever dreamed of! And even a few scarves. And a cadena. And a wallet.

As for liking something I previously didn't, the answer is my avatar. After LicenseToCook posted her pics of the george V window, I became obsessed with the Kelly pochette. I think it was a mistake for my lifestyle, as I have yet to use it and I'm not sure when I will.

I have never found the consensuses (is that even a word?) expressed here to make me want to go the other way.

I still am a basic leather, neutral shade girl. I do however, have a much greater appreciation for the full range of colors and styles thanks to this forum.

Moreover, this forum is such a sanctuary in my day. I love it as much as any of my bags!