to our married tPFers: how did you meet mr. right?

1. girls, i'm 20 years old and already starting to feel some marriage pressure. it's light, but it's there. i sold washers and dryers to three pairs of VERY young newlyweds at work today, it's like god was sending me a message that i need to find a relationship! i've been single for a few months now. silly, i know, but i have that ridiculous fear that i'm going to end up alone - except i'll be the crazy purse lady instead of the crazy cat lady.

meeting guys has never been the easiest thing every for me because i think i tend to fit easily into the "female friend" category.

so to all your married girls out there, how did you find your guy? was it when you least expected, or were you looking? any tips? i'm seriously on the verge of a quarter-life crisis here!

which is utterly ridiculous, i know....:crybaby:
  2. I got married last year, at age 32. Please do not get married until you are ready! I am glad that I spent my 20s having FUN. (Not that I'm not having fun now, but it's a lot different.) In your 20s you are figuring out who you are, and it takes a long time.

We met through an internet dating site. :biggrin:
  3. First, your 20! You have so mcuh time. I am not married but I've been with my bf for 4 1/2 years and plan to get married when we're done with school. I actually happened to meet him on the bus when I wasn't even looking for a guy. I was concentrating on school and didn't even want to get involved with anyone.

Hehe, I believe when you stop looking, love comes to you!
  4. I met my husband while working in a bike shop. He started the week after I did, and I noticed him right away. One day (our day off) he rode by my house as I was sweeping off my porch, and I called hi to him as he passed, but he was riding fast, and didn't see who had called to him. Later the same day, he rode by on his way back, and stopped to talk with me. He was into trials riding, and kept trying to bunnyhop his bike up my front steps. I invited him to lunch with my daughters and I (I had two previous attempts at marriage that were not so hot, but I got two beautiful daughters out if it) that weekend, and that was it. We've been together for just over 7 years now, and they have been the happiest years of my life! Every day I am thankful that we found each other. I feel like I won the biggest lottery of all time! I was 35 at the time.

When I met DH, I had given up on finding my mate, and was happy being by myself (OK, not totally by myself, as I have kids, but you know what I mean)

Write down a list of all the attributes you want in a perfect mate. Get really specific. Also think about what you want your married life to be like. And don't bow to pressure and get married to please others (parents, etc.) That only brings trouble (hence MY two exes)

You have plenty of time!
  5. I met my Husband at a function we were both attending. I was not looking to meet anyone at the time but it just happend, he was very persistant and attentive long story short i just gave in.
    It will happen when you least expect it, dont go looking for it, that always, in my opinion, leads to frustration. Do the things you enjoy doing with your life, relax and let it happen. we are not in control of our destiny God is.

You will have the right Man in your life, one that will make your life complete. who knows where you will meet him ! grocery store, parking lot, prehaps someone will introduce you to him.

Whoever he is will be happy you are you. :heart:
  6. I worked with a couple at one company. The guy got let go, and he started working at a second company. The invited me to go to that company's summer picnic, and that is where I met my sweetie, on June 22, 1997. We have been married almost 7 years now! :yes:
  7. First of all, don't rush it! I got married at 31, and I'm SO GLAD I was single in my 20s! I had a blast, I learned a lot about myself, it gave me time to mature - all that makes my marriage so much better. Plus, you can never get that time back again, so enjoy it! I met my DH at work. I was not looking at all. I'd recently ended a relationship, bought my first house, and I was all about doing MY thing. Then, he came along.
  8. thanks for the pep talk, girls, this is just driving me nutty, particularly since it's so NOT like me to feel this way. if one of my girlfriends came to me saying this stuff, i'd tell her that she was nuts and to enjoy her youth. argh. i hate being TWENTY and feeling like this.
  9. I got married at 19! It is wonderful, but I say wait!!!! It is work and although I love being married I believe at that time I was NOT ready! but at least we where able to work through it and now are happier then ever. Get married when your ready not when others pressure you or tell you not to so you decide to rebell and do it anyway. Do it when it feels right. I met my hubby through his grandparents they where in my church.
  10. Believe me, I've been there! It happens to all of us. There's so much pressure to be paired up. It's easy to think that the grass is greener. Ironically, though I'm happily married, I find myself NOW missing my single days! It's crazy...
  11. amanda you're from atlanta right? My BF is from there (and went to your school) and narrowly missed getting married to the WRONG GIRL right after his masters and her undergrad...they dated for 4 years and she put the wedding pressure on from year two and was relentless until he succumbed to the "proposal" during which he was sweating bullets. Then around one monthbefore the wedding date she did something messed up and he found out and was so relieved since it gave him the out he was waiting for.....three months later he and I met in Boston....I am from california and cannot fathom getting married young...I couldn't understand his story (like why he agreed to it when he really didn't want to get married..but he explained that that's what they do in the south...the girls want dream weddings and they want them right after college, fact his ex became an out of control bridezilla obsessed with her ring and superobsessed with the perfect lavish wedding) I still don't get it, but maybe it is cultural? When he moved from there to Boston he felt life was totally different than where he grew up, and out here in California, people are even more laid back about getting's nice to have a partner, but why rush into marriage?
  12. True, I also went to UGA. Down here there is BIG pressure to get married right after college. I remember my roomate crying on her graduation day because she wasn't engaged!
  13. Oh honey... you're still young and fabulous!! Don't rush into marriage until you're ready. I'm 26 and been with my bf for 4 yrs now but I'm not planning on getting marry until I hit my early 30s. So enjoy your 20s while you can!
  14. Why is that? Is that the general custom there? :blink:
  15. I changed so much from age 20 to age 30. You have lots of time to explore what you want in a person. My husband and I were introduced on a blind date- I came with my girlfriend, he came with her husband. I wasn't expecting much that night. We were friends for quite some time because I was getting over a pretty intense relationship and I wasn't ready for another serious one! He was persistent though! I got married at 26 and we've been together for 19 years! (Now you can do the math with my age...:smile: )