TJ Maxx finds...

After reading about how many of you ladies are finding Florentine satchels at TJMaxx I decided to take a look. I never see anything good but what the heck. So as I was walking through and I spied the tassels from two racks over. Beeline to the Black Medium Florentine Satchel. It is pebbly but in good condition. Dust bag and leather key keeper inside. it is my understanding that the leather key keepers were changed to nylon in roughly 2011. The bag smells like the rich Florentine that we know. I got sucked in and bought it for the $179.

Welllll, I think it is going back. It is big for me and I am just not sure I will get the use out of it as lovely as it is. I just bought the nice Sunflower Satchel plus there are other bags I prefer over this black one. I would have preferred the small size. Yes sucked in by the excitement of seeing a flo at TJX. It was like a rescue mission. It will sit for a few more days given the nice return policy versus the outlet exchange policy of store credit.
Do you all think I am crazy to return this one? "The struggle is real" yet again.

Nice find GF!
You know, I too felt this size was too big for me and that stopped me at 1 for a while until I carried it as a shoulder bag (I doubled the long strap so both clasps hook to the same ring and voila, perfect). I like because there are times when the small is too small, especially in winter when you want to carry more stuff. The way I see this bag is that you could use it kind of the way you would use a tote, but more stylish. I think Nebo uses her as her bag when she travels. Black is the perfect color! Now I need to stalk my TJM.

She's stunning, but I know I can't deal with that size. Too big and too much weight for me. (I'm a willowy 5'2", lol.)

That makes two of us...but heels help me see above the crowd. :P Yes the bag seems pretty weighty, empty. I typically carry bags on the shoulder so I guess I will do some serious thinking.

Part of the "struggle" is...it was a good deal, it looks lovely and smells good too. However, I have seen this bag many times at the outlet and never give it a second look so that should tell me something. Part of that is the "outlet effect". With so many Dooney's in one place, your eyes dart around the store trying to find the special gems. You can't take them all home unless your name is MaryBel :biggrin:. When you see one Dooney separated from the herd at TJX, you are drawn to it and want to save it from the wrath of the racks.

Seriously though, it's not like I got the bag free, it was still a good chunk...sooo, decisions decisions. Need to make a mindful decision. Let's say it together people "the struggle is real". I think that should be our new tagline for the HA meetings. See you all there.

That makes two of us...but heels help me see above the crowd. :P Yes the bag seems pretty weighty, empty. I typically carry bags on the shoulder so I guess I will do some serious thinking.

Part of the "struggle" is...it was a good deal, it looks lovely and smells good too. However, I have seen this bag many times at the outlet and never give it a second look so that should tell me something. Part of that is the "outlet effect". With so many Dooney's in one place, your eyes dart around the store trying to find the special gems. You can't take them all home unless your name is MaryBel :biggrin:. When you see one Dooney separated from the herd at TJX, you are drawn to it and want to save it from the wrath of the racks.

Seriously though, it's not like I got the bag free, it was still a good chunk...sooo, decisions decisions. Need to make a mindful decision. Let's say it together people "the struggle is real". I think that should be our new tagline for the HA meetings. See you all there.
Yeah. We all get you. :lol: Just keep it for a few days, do some "purse posing." You will know whether you really want it or if it was just the siren song of the deal.

OMG, I can totally relate! Every time I see a Dooney at TJM, I want to save her from her fate. Or even from just hanging out in the company of all of those other "bags" It's like she should't be there, but of course I have never seen anything I wanted at TJM.

The struggle really IS real .. :panic:

btw , I have the small florentine satchel in the bordeaux color and while it is so gorgeous, I hardly ever carry it. I know the medium would be too heavy and big for me, especially without the option to carry on the shoulder. And I know that is an option, but for me not so much with that thin shoulder strap she comes with :nogood:

YD: all so true. And the struggle is real. Make the right decision for you and if you fell better immediately, you will know it was right. Sometimes there is great relief in just deciding to return something, put it in the bag and setting it aside to return. Or put it in the closet and see if you keep thinking about it. Then you will know which way to go.

YD: all so true. And the struggle is real. Make the right decision for you and if you fell better immediately, you will know it was right. Sometimes there is great relief in just deciding to return something, put it in the bag and setting it aside to return. Or put it in the closet and see if you keep thinking about it. Then you will know which way to go.

So true, LJ.

I always read how a lot of you ladies get such good deals at TJMaxx, so I stopped in today. Haven't been there in a long time. Not a single Dooney! Plenty of Michael Kors. I don't know if I've ever seen a Dooney there. Very frustrating. Yesterday I was at Nordstrom's in Towsontown Center. Not a single Dooney, and they used to carry quite a few. I wonder if they are no longer going to carry them. Next, I stopped in Macy's. I have to say, Michael Kors has taken over. They had a nice Coach display, but the Dooney section was pitiful. Are the department stores shying away from D&B. My Macy's has a pretty nice Dooney section, but MK and Coach are predominant.

I ended up returning my medium black florentine satchel. After putting in all my daily stuff, it was just too heavy to carry around, handheld or over the shoulder. Forget carrying it on the crook of my elbow. My entire arm ended up being so red.

I would have kept it if it weighed less. Nice as it was, I can't sacrifice comfort for it. I can just imagine how my back and my arms would suffer. It was a great deal, but I would end up not using it.

Sigh.

I ended up returning my medium black florentine satchel. After putting in all my daily stuff, it was just too heavy to carry around, handheld or over the shoulder. Forget carrying it on the crook of my elbow. My entire arm ended up being so red.

I would have kept it if it weighed less. Nice as it was, I can't sacrifice comfort for it. I can just imagine how my back and my arms would suffer. It was a great deal, but I would end up not using it.

Sigh.

Then you made the right decision for you. Don't give it another thought. There will be another handbag with your name on it soon.

Here are a few Dooney's spotted at TJMaxx and Marshall's. Of course, the white flo has stains on it. It was a lovely bag otherwise. The stains could have been cleaned perhaps, but I don't need this one. I find the interior on this style a bit snug. The zipper on the Flo shopper was brutal to get into. Difficult to access and unzip for daily use.

Attachments

• IMG_MedPocketFlowhite.jpg
    IMG_MedPocketFlowhite.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_pythonshoper.jpg
    IMG_pythonshoper.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_floedgeshopper.jpg
    IMG_floedgeshopper.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 302
I'm 5'2 as well and I thought about getting the small satchel (they had it in natural) but I carry around too much work stuff, so the larger size is great for me. Everyone makes fun of all the stuff I tote around until they need a bandaid, hairspray or some dental floss hahaha The bags are very heavy but I have been carrying my black Flo for a week now and I am so in love with it. I hope you find the smaller size. I think that would be perfect for you

Nice find GF!
You know, I too felt this size was too big for me and that stopped me at 1 for a while until I carried it as a shoulder bag (I doubled the long strap so both clasps hook to the same ring and voila, perfect). I like because there are times when the small is too small, especially in winter when you want to carry more stuff. The way I see this bag is that you could use it kind of the way you would use a tote, but more stylish. I think Nebo uses her as her bag when she travels. Black is the perfect color! Now I need to stalk my TJM.
So.....I am still thinking about this dang bag. Can't seem to return it yet because I keep looking at it. It is a lovely bag and I keep second guessing myself. One thing I do notice about the larger Flo satchel is that it seems to lose its structure. When empty, you could flatten it out easily. I may take some pics to show you all. I tested putting my things in it and they float around in there. So much room, holy cow, and the bag loses its nice shape compared to when it's stuffed. Yes, this could easily be a travel bag, but it is heavy. You might need wheels on it. If you put an iPad in there, yikes, it feels like you are carrying a cinder block. And still, I hate to bring it back because the leather is so nice, the interior is pristine, the handles feel so comfy, smells great.....ugh. I almost feell like it is made nicer than the newer flo bags out now....in a way. So again, I will do some purse posing and test runs around the house. Hopefully, I will come to a decision that I will feel comfortable with.

So.....I am still thinking about this dang bag. Can't seem to return it yet because I keep looking at it. It is a lovely bag and I keep second guessing myself. One thing I do notice about the larger Flo satchel is that it seems to lose its structure. When empty, you could flatten it out easily. I may take some pics to show you all. I tested putting my things in it and they float around in there. So much room, holy cow, and the bag loses its nice shape compared to when it's stuffed. Yes, this could easily be a travel bag, but it is heavy. You might need wheels on it. If you put an iPad in there, yikes, it feels like you are carrying a cinder block. And still, I hate to bring it back because the leather is so nice, the interior is pristine, the handles feel so comfy, smells great.....ugh. I almost feell like it is made nicer than the newer flo bags out now....in a way. So again, I will do some purse posing and test runs around the house. Hopefully, I will come to a decision that I will feel comfortable with.

Hmm I actually leave stuffing in my bags to give structure and I guess I don't carry a lot so it works for me.