Tips for making mayo?

1. I love the taste of freshly made mayonnaise.

Plus I want to add my own herbs, etc.

Can you give me any tips for making mayo at home? I'm intimidated.

BTW - I have a Cuisinart mini-prep.

2. I've never tried making fresh mayo, but I add chopped garlic, dill, parsley, salt & pepper in mine to give it a little kick. It's great on sandwiches or for dipping veggies in :smile:
  3. We have made mayo and it is very easy with a cuisinart. It does involve using raw eggs though so if that grosses you out I would avoid it and just buy the jar mayo.

4. I'm glad to hear you find making mayo easy. I don't mind raw eggs at all.

I hear there are all sorts of little details to making mayo, like temperature of eggs, how to add the oil, etc.

Any tips?
  5. the most important thing is the way you add the oil... slowly in a fine stream! If you just slop it in, it will not emulsify and will look all chunky and curddled and icky.

But, if you do come out with a chunky and curddled and icky product, it can be saved... just add a new yolk to the bowl and very slowly this time, add more oil, blending constantly, until it is the right consistency.

try adding roasted garlic pulp... yum!!
  6. ^^ or a little prepared pesto sauce ... even more yummy!
  7. Thanks for the tips!
  8. Great idea!

I just made a big batch of pesto and froze it in ice cube trays. I'll just thaw one cube of pesto and add it to the mayo at the end.

9. to prevent cruddling , add 2 tsps plain mustard , before you start mixing . it perks it up a little too...
  10. Hi there.

It is sooo easy.

Here is how i make mine.

In a blender add 1/4 cup of oil, one garlic, salt and pepper to taste, and blend for at least 1 minute.

while it is still being blended, add in the blender top ( there is a whole in the middle) more oil, like 1/4 cup again. and keep the blender working for another minute or so, the longer you will let it blend, the thicker it will get. just keep adding oil a little at a time for desired consistency.

i like mine thick, and not runny. so u have to be patient for it to get thick.