Tiffany solitare engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies.
On average, how much does a 1 ct Tiffany solitare engagement ring go for? :shrugs:

TIA!

Too much. The actual worth of an ideal cut 1ct, D color, IF solitaire is about $20K. A diamond with the same specs will cost you far more at Tiffany (as others have pointed out).

Tiffany has built up a name for diamonds by having exacting standards re: what they will sell and not sell. This was valuable to consumers at one time, but with the advent of places like Blue Nile online and so many independent jewelers now where you can SO easily find a diamond with the same specs, it's foolish in my opinion to overpay for the same thing. All you need is a bit of knowledge and you can save thousands and get just as beautiful a stone. :yes: While a Tiffany diamond may be a better cut than other "ideal" cuts, the average person on the street is probably not going to appreciate the difference.

ETA: This is my personal opinion only; if the Tiffany name makes you happy, go for it. I personally do not fall on either side of this debate, as my engagement ring is an emerald.

I got engaged in May last year and was given a heart shaped 1.07ct colour F VVS1 platinum ring, it was expensive but it was worth it. We had looked around and a ring from an expensive local jeweller of the same specification was not much cheaper. Some of my friends have rings of the same size that were much cheaper from high street jewellers but they just don't have the sparkle or the colour, they are yellow. I would far rather have a ring that sparkled and was white.:yes:

These parameters include table, crown height, pavilion depth, girdle, culet, and depth, according to Tolkowsky's calculations for maximum brilliance and a recent change in table diameter to 59% (some complicated reading and further details). For my particular solitaire, it has nearly perfect proportions (within 0.10%) as Tolkowsky with the modified 59% table diameter. It literally directs every beam of light exits the top of the stone and sparkles from every angle, even in the shade.

The most ideal diamonds from wholesalers will cost only a bit less than a Tiffany diamond because it is that difficult to create a diamond with these proportions. It is true that you can buy a diamond with the same 4C's as a Tiffany for thousands less. But mathematically and subjectively speaking, it will not possess the fire and brilliance of a Tiffany/ideal diamond if it does not have the ideal proportions, and you can easily see this when comparing. An ideal diamond is expensive no matter where you go, but diamond shoppers are often only concerned with the 4C's and not so much the cut proportions which makes all the difference in the world. Additionally, round brilliants offer the most brilliance and fire because of these proportions -- however, that isn't to say that non-RB cuts are not pretty, but they are, quite objectively, not as sparkly.
A Good start on technical information, some misinformation, but we aren't teaching a class & its probably more than most diamond buyers know.

To be considered a GIA ideal cut diamond, its specs need to fall into a certain range or it can't be classified an GIA "ideal" diamond. So an ideal diamond is an ideal diamond whether its from a broker or Tiffany. They are the same thing. All other issues identical, One is not going to have more fire than another. If you want to buy from Tiffany, great! But to say theirs are the best & only they get them is a marketing lie. Many of us started our searches at Tiffany for the basic education & then spent months doing research. Harry Winston & Graff carry an even better line, bigger stones & many fancy rare colors.

I am contantly amazed that what is one of the most expensive purchases many people make & they do little to no homework on buying diamonds. The 4 c's is just getting started.
Many people have the connections to get these GIA Ideal diamonds from brokers. We buy all my stones from one, he is in the highest ranking for brokers in his profession & gets the required stones shipped to him, I fly there & can spend as much time with each stone as I want, taking them outside, comparing them to each other etc.
I've done the ego thing, I'm over 40. Or if I did need the boost, I'd buy from Graff, that's a very exclusive diamond store! But I don't need to feel superior or get any satisfaction about having to buy it at the blue box store. When I've been in tiffany's looking, they've cleaned my ring too.
I want a stone that when I tire of it, (its 4.1 ct so that's not happening soon) The broker will buy it back or it'll go to Sothebys or Chrisites. Broker's already called DH & offered him double what he paid 8 years ago, said he has a buyer for it. I can't do better quality wise & I don't want a bigger stone, so I'll keep this one. I am thinking about adding 2 side stones of 1.5 to 2 ct on each side though.

Pictures!

ring011sm1.jpg

ring028ya.jpg

ring1.jpg

This ring cost $18,100 not including tax.

disclaimer: there is no use arguing something that is objective. One may insult Tiffany all they want, but there is no denying that their quality is far superior to most.[/quote]

OMG...the ring is gorgeous! :love:

That is pretty!

you are right...there's no point in arguing. I keep seeing people bagging all the brands like Tiffany, Cartier, when it comes to diamonds...and the fact is, if the people like what they got, then they don't need to be constantly told that they got ripped off and that it's over priced. It's not overpriced if the customer is satisfied in the end.

One more thing, buying from these stores doesn't mean that they have not done their homework in buying diamonds...it's tiring to see that that's the assumption that many people make.

I did plenty of homework but, in the end, I decided that I wanted to have my ring from Tiffany and Company, and I've never been happier! I was well taken care of, they still take care of me, and my ring, and I'm just happy with it!

Why is the first comment on this question a negative? Couldn't it have been phrased constructively?

Why must we 'hate' on each other? Where's the 'love'? I promise not to knock BlueNile or any other diamond merchant in the UNIVERSE, if ya'll stop raggin' on my T & Co. What can I say? I'm a Tiffany's girl!

Reactions: HeartHermes
if i were to have my choice in e-rings, i think i just want a simple perfect tiffany round brillliant... it's classic, timeless and i love its iconic history personally.
clanalois and tweetie, your rings make me :drool:

Sometimes, I think people get too wrapped around the axle over rings. That said, here I go! :nuts: I love Tiffany's. While there are perfect reasons why someone else's diamonds are just as good, their presentation is always spectacular. When my hubby proposed, it was a Tiffany-style setting, round-cut and 1.3 carat, E, SVV1. It was the best he could afford, and that said, it meant more to me than anything else.

i have a 3.1 carat (color F, cut : EX/Ex, ) tiffany solitare engagement ring. i absolutely looove it, and it gets compliments everywhere i go. however, although i love my diamond VERY VERY MUCH, i have to say that i also know pp can get quality diamonds, really ANYWHERE.

tiffany does not produce their diamonds...they only select them. whenever random strangers compliment me on my diamond, they say "oo..i love tiffany diamonds." and whenever i hear that, it always reminded me the common misconception pp have regarding tiffanys...

a gf of mine bought a loose diamond on blue nile.com...its absolutely beautiful, and it has a GIA report.
I would love to see your ring, cause I don't think I've seen such big diamond from tiffany. If it's not a problem, please post some pics.

I would love to see your ring, cause I don't think I've seen such big diamond from tiffany. If it's not a problem, please post some pics.

You never seen such a big diamond from Tiffany? really?!?
im surprised. :confused1:
i think mine is big but its not THAT big..haha..im from NYC and almost ALL of my girlfriends got their engagement ring from Tiffanys...2 of my gfs have diamonds larger than mine..a 3.5 carat and another has a 4.1...Tiffany has MANY diamonds...3.1 carat is NOT their biggest...

and, since you sounded like u didnt believe me..i posted some pics for you. enjoy! :yes:

the first picture is from my wedding..but its not a closeup so i took 1 more close up pic..

Attachments

• DSCF1004 (Custom).JPG
    DSCF1004 (Custom).JPG
    94 KB · Views: 5,048
  • IMG_2309.JPG
    IMG_2309.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 9,106
Reactions: HeartHermes
Oooo, Miss Alice, your ring is Gorgeous!

I was in Tiffany's in Melbourne, Australia and they had a 5+ diamond there and it was AU$618,000. It was huuuuge!

You never seen such a big diamond from Tiffany? really?!? im surprised. :confused1:
i think mine is big but its not THAT big..haha..im from NYC and almost ALL of my girlfriends got their engagement ring from Tiffanys...2 of my gfs have diamonds larger than mine..a 3.5 carat and another has a 4.1...Tiffany has MANY diamonds...3.1 carat is NOT their biggest...

and, since you sounded like u didnt believe me..i posted some pics for you. enjoy! :yes:

the first picture is from my wedding..but its not a closeup so i took 1 more close up pic..
Thanks sooo much for the photos. Your ring is amazing. I would love to get a diamond like this one day.
It's not like I didn't believe you, but I really haven't seen an over 3 carat big diamond in a tiffany setting. My aunt has a 2,5 carat one and it already seems big for me, but yours in so much bigger. And it's so beautiful.
You know I live in Europe and here you (maybe it's just me?) don't see people wearing that big diamonds everyday, that's why I was curious to see it :smile:
I really love it. And once again thaks for the pictures. And btw you also seem to have a gorgeous wedding band :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.