Thought I'd Share: Pictures Fom the Chanel Exhibit

1. This was at the Metropolitan Museum of Art from May 5, 2005–August 7, 2005.

I know it's an old exhibit, but I wasn't part of the Purse Forum Family when I saw it. Now that I am, here they are!

One of the most revered designers of the 20th century, Coco Chanel (1883–1971) made an enduring impact on the fashion world. It is the authority and mastery of her work, the resonance of her image of the modern woman as articulated in her designs, and the autobiographical infusion of influences in her collections that confirm her iconic stature. In this exhibition, the spirit of the House of Chanel echoes vibrantly with an unprecedented presentation of more than 50 designs and accessories from the Museum’s Costume Institute collection, Chanel Archives, and other international institutions such as the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. The exhibition examines the history of the House of Chanel thematically, revealing ideas and elements of biography as they were expressed in Chanel’s work. Period examples are juxtaposed with the work of Karl Lagerfeld, who joined the House of Chanel in 1983, revitalizing its spirit and identity. Through Lagerfeld’s interpretations and refinements, the historic importance of Chanel is both defined and asserted for the modern woman.

(http://www.metmuseum.org/special/se_event.asp?OccurrenceId={82DD6651-BDB4-4592-A16E-81B228F42967})

Evening Dress and Bolero (back view)
    Black cotton lace with black silk grosgrain ribbon ties and black rayon underslip
    The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Gift of Yann Weymouth, 1981

Evening Dress and Bolero (detail)
    Black cotton lace with black silk grosgrain ribbon ties and black rayon underslip

Gabrielle Chanel
    Evening Dress and Bolero (front)

Dress-and-Bolero-(bview)_L.jpg eveningdress(detail)_L.jpg evening-dress-1937_L.jpg
  2. Evening dress
    1927-28
    Blue silk net with radiating pattern of graduated blue paillettes
    Courtesy of the Collection of Phoenix Art Museum, Gift of Mrs. Wesson Seyburn
    Image by Karl Lagerfeld for the exhibition catalogue Chanel

CHANEL by Gripoix
    Camellia Brooches
    1930-1941
    Multicolored enamel, stone, glass, ceramic, rhinestones in gilt metal mounts
    Courtesy of Mark Walsh Leslie Chin

CHANEL by Karl Lagerfeld
    Belt
    Ca. 1985
    Gilt metal chain and medallions
    Courtesy of Mark Walsh Leslie Chin

CHANEL by Karl Lagerfeld
    Day Ensemble
    Prêt-à-porter, spring/summer 1995
    Shirt jacket of black wool; pants of white linen
    Courtesy of CHANEL

CHANEL by Karl Lagerfeld
    Day Suit
    Prêt-à-porter, spring/summer 1994
    Jacket and skirt of ivory cotton bouclé with crocheted black rubber braid trim; blouse of ivory silk twill yoke with black striped ivory cotton jersey
    Courtesy of CHANEL

Bluesilkgress1927-28_L.jpg camellia-brooches_L.jpg chain1965_L.jpg Dayensemble_L.jpg Daysuit1994_L.jpg
  3. CHANEL by Karl Lagerfeld
    "Coromandel" Evening Ensemble (detail)
    Haute Couture, autumn/winter 1996-97
    Coat of black silk organza over-embroidered in black, gold, and red sequins and bronze seed beads in Chinoiserie motives; catsuit of black nylon and polyester blend elasticized knit
    Courtesy of CHANEL

Gabrielle Chanel
    Photo Hoyningen-Huene

Gabrielle Chanel
    Photo by Cecil Beaton

Gabrielle Chanel
    Circa 1937
    Mademoiselle Chanel in her apartment 31 Rue Cambon, Paris, circa 1937

Gabrielle Chanel

ensemble1996-97_L.jpg G-Chanel-by-Huene_L.jpg gown-by-Beaton-_L.jpg G-Chanel-in-Salon_L.jpg G_-Chanel-by-ManRay_L.jpg
  4. Gabrielle Chanel
    Evening Dress
    Black silk chiffon
    The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Gift of Gytha M. Rupp, 1994

Gabrielle Chanel
    Evening Dress (back)
    Ca. 1937
    Peach silk lace and tulle with matching silk crêpe de chine underslip
    The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Isabel Shults Fund, 2004

Gabrielle Chanel
    Evening dress (detail)
    Ca. 1937

Gabrielle Chanel
    Evening dress (front)
    Ca. 1937

Litteblackdress_L.jpg Peachlacedress(back)_L.jpg Peachlacedress(details)_L.jpg Peachlacedress(full)_L.jpg
  5. Also on display was the interlocking diamond C necklace worn by Nicole Kidman in the No. 5 commercial. When I saw it, I said "Oh my God" a tad too loudly.

nicole130807_303x450.jpg
  6. I have heard about this exhibit and I would have loved to have gone- esp. to of seen that No 5 neclace- thanks for sharing with us it sounds great

7. Thanks so much for sharing! I loove the pictures and thanks for your detailed description!Chanel was such an extraordinary and talented woman!
    I wish I had visited the exhibition!:girlsigh:

8. Thanks for sharing. Do you have photo of the black jersey flap? I am curious to see the MM lock on that bag. I was told that current MM lock has same rectangular shape but does not have same length and height with that lock. Thanks.

9. gorgeous! thank you for sharing!

10. amazing! the old stuff.. its just remarkable how a woman could wear that to black tie event these days and noone would know that its an 80 yr old dress. the patterns, cuts, colours and styles are just so timeless (unlike the original dior new look IMO)

11. Ohhh, I specifically went to there for this exhibit... the details were just stunning in person... each piece was spectacular! :love: Thanks for sharing these gorgeous pics! :tup:

12. GREAT PICS!

thank you for sharing!

13. Wow, I would have loved to see the exhibit I was deployed at that time.. Thanks for posting Caitlin

14. Was there a catalogue that went along with the exhibit? I am teaching a course on the history of fashion in Spring term and would love to get a copy of it for the class.

15. thanks for sharing this :smile: