Thought I purchased Tomato but rec'd Vermillion

1. I talked to Al at Saks in Boca and asked for the Tomato City. He didn't take the time to confirm the numbers off of the tag, but assured me that the bag was part of the Pre-fall collection. Well, I received the bag today and I now know that this bag is actually the Rouge Vermillion from Pre Spring. I will say that it is a beautiful color!

However, I've only seen photos of the Tomato; never seen it in person... is it worth returning the Vermillion and looking for a Tomato City instead? Which color do you guys think is better? Any feedback would be much appreciated! :sad:

2. I know I will be in the minority but I love the vermillion color. I purchased a first in the spring and the color has so much depth and character. Unfortunately, I have learned that the first is too small for me, but I haven't sold it yet because I just find the color so gorgeous. I also ordered a tomato giant envelope clutch from Barney's which came on Monday and I was very disappointed. With the color and the leather. I did not find it had the same brilliance as a the vermillion. But that is just my experience. I have seen some gorgeous tomato bags pictured here. But in person, I definitely preferred Vermillion. And I was shocked to see how close the color really was. (Should have taken pictures:sad:)

Good luck with your decision. I don't think you can lose either way.

3. Just seeing that you already own a Rouille Twiggy, I would definitely consider returning it for Tomatoe since both Rouille and Vermillion are Reddish/Orangish tones. Tomatoe is definitely more of a true red imo with not nearly as much orange in it.

4. Special K ~
    funny you should mention my Rouille! I have always wanted a red bag and my sister loves my Rouille Twiggy, so for Xmas I plan to give her my Twiggy... and of course treating myself extra special by getting a red City. And after looking at so many pictures of the Tomato I was sold! I do think the Vermillion is a beautiful color with a great leather finish. However, I have no idea about what the Tomato looks like in person.

lorrmich ~
    what disappointed you with the Tomato leather? Also, how is the clutch? I love the look of them but not sure if it would be worth buying... would you recommend?

5. I haven't seen the Vermillion, but I have the Tomato City, and I think it is about the most beautiful red that I can imagine! In fact, I want a Rouge Theatre, but keep passing when I have an opportunity, because I can't imagine it being that much better than my Tomato! BTW, I don't see very many real tomatoes that are such a pretty red! :graucho: I hope this helps you decide. If my computer wasn't broken, I would show pics for you. :yes:

6. Well, don't know if this will help or not, BUT>>

I had a Vermillion City. I prefer bluer reds and after living with the Vermillion for a while, sold it and bought a Tomato Day. I was actually shocked at the poor quality of the leather on the Tomato, vs. the Vermillion, but MUCH preferred the colour. SO.....I offed the Tomato and got a Rouge vif I really, really liked, BUT, it's perfectly smooth, no veins, no distressing. Hmmmm.....still REALLY wanted something in the Tomato colour, though. Figured I could live with a crappy leather Coin, so ordered a CP. What arrived was the most gorgeous, thick...yes, chewy...perfectly distressed but no veins - CP EVER. If I could be assured that a bag would have the same quality of leather, I would happily order another Tomato. So, long story short, the quality of the Tomato leather appears to be quite inconsistent. If you have a SA you can really describe your preferences to and perhaps get some pics, I would definitely give the Tomato a try. I do think it's a truer red, with that key extra blue in it....but just watch out for the leather. I suspect it could go either way.

Best of luck!

7. I had a Vermillion City and then a Vermillion Day, and I ended up selling both because I wanted a truer red. My new Tomato First fits the ticket perfectly, but it's really your descision. The leather on my Tomato is much smooshier than my Vermillion bags, as well.

8. I have noticed the same inconsistency with the tomato leather. I have seen amazing pictures here of tomato bags but I got a day on eBay that was very flat and dry and kind of faded in color (which I sold) and have seen others just as bad recently at Neimans. I also have a vermilion day that I think is great. I don't see any orange in it and the color is wonderfully deep, rich, and saturated, which many of the tomato bags are not. I think maybe some vermilions are more orange-y than others... It is a tough decision b/c you are definitely taking a bit of a risk with the uneven quality of the tomato bags this season...

9. hi again,
    I was disappointed with the tomato clutch I received because I thought the leather lacked character. It was very smooth, no distressing, no interest and very matte. It also didn't have depth. To me the vermillion is very rich looking. Very bright. It makes me happy to look at it. It makes me smile. So I keep it and take it out of the dustbag when I need a "pick me up". (At least until I need to purchase the next bag). Even my hubby saw the tomato and said he much preferred the Vermillion. It was much brighter and striking. I think maybe I just got a good Vermillion. Mine is not orangey(is that a word?). I think it is a gorgeous red. And maybe I just got a bad tomato.

As for the clutch I love it. I think it is stunning. I love the organization. The pockets, the size. The giant hardware. So I decided to try it another color. I ordered one from a trusted eBay seller at much less than what Barney's and everyone else is selling it for. I ordered it in Juane. I hope the leather is much better on that one:smile:. I hope it will be a keeper. I have not seen Juane in person. Only pictures here, and it looks fab also.

10. Just uploaded this pic of my Vermillion bag taken with flash. I don't think the things I see are noticable in photos.

The first thing I noticed about it is the inconsistency in color - the handles and the tassels have more orange in them compared to the rest of the bag. Also the leather on the front zippered pocket is a deeper red than the body of the bag! Has anyone else had this problem with their bags? I've never seen this before! :cursing:

balenciaga vermillion1.jpg
  11. Just uploaded A LARGER pic of my Vermillion bag taken with flash. I don't think the things I see are noticable in photos.

The first thing I noticed about it is the inconsistency in color - the handles, the piping, and the tassels have more orange in them compared to the rest of the bag. Also the leather on the front zippered pocket is a deeper red than the body of the bag! Has anyone else had this problem with their bags? I've never seen this before! :cursing:

balenciaga vermillion3.jpg
  12. I have the most gorgeous Tomato City that I love so much. To me, this is a true red with no orange undertones, which I love, but the best thing about this bag is the leather.

The leather is puffy, smooshy, wrinkly, pillowy....Bbag pefection, if you ask me. I personally don't like the leather on Vermillions that I've seen(smooth, and looks very dry), and even though I like the Vif, I'm not a big fan of the leather, as I like wrinkly, soft leather.

I did notice the inconsistency in leather and color on Tomatos...some that I've seen are gorgeous, some are not.

Here's my Tomato:heart:

[​IMG]

13. tooshies ~

Your bag is absolutely beautiful! I actually remember coming across your photo and that is what convinced me about getting the Tomato City.

The more and more I look at my Vermillion, the more I like it. And part of me also does not want to go through the hassle of returning the Vermillion and trying to locate the Tomato... :crybaby:Just disappointed with the orangey handles... :yucky:

14. Awww, I'm so glad that my Tomato convinced you to get the Tomato:heart:

But if you love your Verm, then by all means keep her! The color on her is stunning!!! It seems darker than other Verms I've seen here:confused1: I don't even notice the orange handles....??

15. tooshies ~

Yea, the bag is not photographing very well. I probably should retake the photo in natural light... that is maybe next week once we get rid of the rain and clouds and actually have a sunny day!