those ugly stretch marks

1. I had a baby 6 weeks ago and I went through my whole pregnancy without stretch marks up until the last month. I got bad stretch marks that got purpleish-red. I know there is no way to get rid of stretch marks, but is there anything I can do to get rid of the color of them? I just hate looking at them and seeing purple marks on my body.
  2. you would have to wait, they will turn white..
  3. I feel your pain. I went 8 1/2 months with not a single stretch mark. They will lighten up over time i used maderma to help make them lighter and thinner. it's about $25 but its worth it
  4. as long as your stretchmarks aren't white then they are still treatable. Try mederma or clarins stretchmark oil which I swear by.
  5. I had the angriest-looking bright red stretch marks after both my pregnancies. Mine took f-o-r-e-v-e-r to turn white, but they did. After my second child, it took about 2 years to fully turn from red to white. You can still see them in the sunshine, though -- they look pearlescent white.
  6. Mederma will help you...It's a bit pricey, but it does work. I've had stretch marks on my belly ever since I was a teenager, before I got pregnant.
  7. Can I use Mederma before I get stretch marks to prevent them? Do I need to check with my doctor to see if it's okay to use while I'm pregnant?
  8. check with a derm. i think Retin-A is good for stretch marks but you can't use it if you're breastfeeding.
  9. Is there anything that is a good preventative? I'm prone to them. :sad:
  10. research shows there's nothing to do to prevent them or to erase them.

You can treat them to help them appear less obvious, but that's about it.
  11. Hi,

One of my girlfriends is expecting early next year. Right now she's about 4 months and her belly is just starting to show. I've heard that there is a creme or lotion you can apply to your belly and hips during your months of pregnancy. And it's supose to reduce/prevent stretch marks. I don't know how efficient these cremes are, but does anyone know of any good brands?

I found this article
    they recommended a brand called Earth Mama.

I love to hear what everyone else is doing in this situation. TIA! :p
  12. I think for genetics play the major role in whether or not your friend will get stretch marks. However, I've heard all the wives' tales like olive oil, cocoa butter, vit e oil, hhmm let's see what else...I'm thinking a lot of others will have some useful creams/lotions to recommend as well!
  13. As alouette stated, a lot of it comes down to genetics.

I was fortunate in that both my mother and her mother did not get stretchmarks, but I did use Palmer's Cocoa Butter Massage Cream for Stretch Marks anyway! (I figured it wouldn't hurt.)
    I didn't get any stretchmarks, but somehow I doubt it had anything to do with the cream. (Although I'll most likely use it again during this pregnancy. I'm too vain to start experimenting with variables! ;))
  14. i use clarins tonic oil that comes in a yellow solution-apparently all the celebrities were using it and one of the ladies who used to work for clarins said it's their best product.
  15. I have always just used cocoa butter from the drugstore and so far so good...due with # 3 in 7 weeks and haven't had any stretch marks at all...