This may be a long shot, but...

1. Hi,

I don't normally post on this forum but I have a question. I'll try to just stick to the facts (which is also normally not my way but I hope to maybe find an answer here).

My 27 year old DD is 8 months pregnant with a so far healthy baby boy. She's due Feb. 6th. She's always been a tiny little thing and even now she's all baby.

The problem is that for the past few months she would feel faint during certain times of the day which has progressed to actually passing out. But the thing is that she is still completely aware of what is going on around her, what is being said, etc. She just can't move or communicate in any way for about 3 or 4 min. So she's not totally out of it.

Her doctor told her to to eat more, get more rest, yadda, yadda, yadda....until today when he finally actually saw it happen during her regular prenatal appointment. She's now in the hospital under 24 hour observation and so far everything is coming back normal. She had an ultra sound and the baby is completely fine. When this happened at the doctor's office this morning they immediately took her blood pressure and although it dipped during this episode, it wasn't dangerously low. Her blood sugar also tested normal.

So my question is has this happened to any of you? Passing out (or feeling like you're going to) almost daily but still being aware of what is going on? I've had 2 DD's and never experienced what she is going through, but maybe someone here did??

Maybe with more testing tomorrow they'll find what is causing this, but for me....her Mom....I want to know now. :crybaby:

2. no, it hasn't happened to me but I'm sure you're worried sick!

The first thing I thought of is the baby possibly compressing some major blood vessels.
    Did they do a blood workup, check her iron levels?

3. I'm so sorry that this is happening. Both of you must be terrified.
    ** Hugs to both of you **

I haven't had that happen while I'm pregnant, so no good advice on what it might be. Hopefully they will find out what's wrong. In the meantime, at least she's in the hospital where they can keep an eye on her and find out what's wrong vs. continuing to have this problem while she's out and about. I'll be sending good thoughts to both of you while you wait to find out!

4. I would get light-headed while pregnant and I learned that it was due to not eating enough protein. Make sure she has some sort of protein with each meal. I would have either a peanut butter sandwich or a turkey sandwich for breakfast to make sure I had some protein, and that would keep me from getting light-headed. Good luck! She's almost there!!

5. With my last pregnancy I had some dizzy spells but I had gestational diabetes and had some blood sugar levels. You indicated that tests in that department came back normal. Like Swanky said maybe blood its blood flow? Is she sleeping on her left side?

I hope that tests continue to come back normal. I wish you and your family a lot of luck. This can be a stressful time. Hang in there, we're thinking of you!

6. Stinkerbelle, I had no idea you're going to be a grandmother. Thanks for holding back on me :upsidedown:... :yahoo: CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :yahoo:

Going to PM you...

7. Thank you!! I think I would rather be a Mom to be though than a grandmother, this is much harder! I worry....it's what I do...OY!

Everyone, please think good thoughts to help make Mercedes better!! I think little Jesse (her soon to be son) is testing his Grandma, he just wants me to know that like his Mom was, he will be a force to be reckoned with! :sweatdrop:

Mercy (short for Mercedes) did indeed try my patience like no other child before her. But she is now my best friend in all the land.

I want her out of the hospital, I want her well, and I want her to be OK. That is all.

8. Stinkerbelle, any news today? Hoping they've got some good leads.

9. Thanks everyone for your tips and suggestions! Mercedes is now home from the hospital, and except for a strong heart murmur...which her doctor said was common in pregnancy, I don't know about the strong part, but the murmur part....everything has come back fine!

She didn't faint today but she's pretty much just been resting. She's not allowed to drive anymore just to be safe, but other than that no one seems overly concerned so I am cautiously optimistic. To me, fainting on a regular basis isn't normal, but as long as the big stuff has been ruled out, I feel a lot better.

I know that there are so many pregnant women who are put on bed rest for weeks or months of their pregnancies. And there are some HUGELY dangerous conditions that women can develop during pregnancy, so it seems that we are lucky that what we're dealing with is minor in comparison.

10. I've read about dizziness and fainting, and my doctor told me that if it happens (which it hasn't) to lie down. Make sure you have had enough to eat that day enough protein ideally about 14g a day at least, she said if you get dizzy, lie on your left side to increase blood flow in the placenta to the baby.
    Stress could be part of it, and maybe she doesn't eat enough. Pregnant women are supposed to take in 2300 calories a day or thereabouts.
    I hope everything is fine. I'm sure you will end up with a healthy grandson!

11. Have heard of this happening and vaguely remember it being connected with blood flow issues -- more an issue for MOM, not baby. Lying down when this happens is a good idea -- but lie on the LEFT SIDE and not flat on the back. Lying on your back is not advised in the third trimester for blood-flow/kidney-related reasons. Good luck to your daughter!

12. I had something similar happen to me as well - though I never actually passed out. I would feel really dizzy - lightheaded, break into a cold sweat. I scared some sales girls in the mall once where they ran and got me a Coke from Auntie Anne's and a chair... lol... It really was scary though but I think mine was blood sugar related, we never really found an actual cause. I'm so sorry you're going through this - but feel safe at least she's in the hospital for the 24 hour observation. Definitely do not be scared to ask any questions, NO question is a stupid question in medicine and insist on every test possible to find out what's up! Thank God it's almost over! Congratulations on becoming a grandmother!

13. Oh, should have also said.... I got lightheaded/dizzy to the point of nearly passing out several times whey lying on my back. Since I had ultrasounds/non-stress tests 3x per week for the last 9 weeks, the nurses had to work fast to not have me on my back for more than a few minutes at a stretch!

14. Yes. I had this happen to me a few times in my last pregnancy. I talked to my doctor about it and she said that sometimes, the baby takes too much of your oxygen supply and it leaves you feeling lightheaded. I never actually fainted but I came very close at least 3-4 times. I lay down immediately when it happened and drank some juice. It passed within 10-15 minutes. This was random throughout the pregnancy for me though, not on a daily basis.

15. Stinkerbelle - I call my daughter stinkerbelle when its time for a diaper change! I named my daughter Belle.

I hope your daughter is well. I get very dizzy when I stand up too fast. The world starts to go black. It started when I was pregnant, and is still happening. I have never passed out though.

I will pray for your daughter and your grandson's safe delivery!