This drives me crazy! Anyone else?

I don't just mean the lockit, whenever there is a LE item LV or other brand, its annoying how people buy them up just to sell on ebay for a higher price. Sucks for the people who actually want the bag.

I'm glad someone else shares my exact opinion! There's this one seller from Brisbane that appears to always list LE bags. Worst of all, she has even listed the Dentelle Speedy as "for VIP only"...yeah right.

Don't shoot me....but I say if they are smart enough to predict the market demand then kudos to them! This doesn't just happen to LV...it's with every single 'hot' item of the moment (think Tickle Me Elmo, iPhone, etc.)....and yea it sucks for the consumer...and I kick myself sometimes but suck it up and say 'Shoulda bought it earlier'. This is probably why I waitlist in 2 different stores to kind of cover my butt in case the smaller store doesn't get it.

Again...just my brutally honest opinion and not intended to anger anyone who didn't get a Lockit when they had originally waitlisted.

im gonna have to agree here.....it does happen to every "hot" new item...its the way the world works...money money money....its unfortunate but true.

I personally think there is nothing wrong with buying something and asking more for it. I am sure people are doing it with the new iphone, PS3, xbox 360, ect.. but maybe these people buy the bag knowing they can very well make a profit and if they never do sell it they also bought it knowing that it may not sell and they may actually LIKE the bag so they still get something out of it, its like gambling. I did it with my LV S/S 2006 jacket, I didn't make a profit but I listed it and If it sold then cool more $ for me, but if not, I still have the jacket I like..

kwim?
I am ALL for it, I guess these people who can't get these bags need to act much faster, sorry

Sometimes it's not just about acting faster. Like the Brisbane seller I referred to, no doubt she has absolute preference over everything...because she buys so much to sell! :cursing: So no matter how fast I get on the waitlist, I will never have preference over her.

Don't shoot me....but I say if they are smart enough to predict the market demand then kudos to them! This doesn't just happen to LV...it's with every single 'hot' item of the moment (think Tickle Me Elmo, iPhone, etc.)....and yea it sucks for the consumer...and I kick myself sometimes but suck it up and say 'Shoulda bought it earlier'. This is probably why I waitlist in 2 different stores to kind of cover my butt in case the smaller store doesn't get it.

Again...just my brutally honest opinion and not intended to anger anyone who didn't get a Lockit when they had originally waitlisted.

AGREE! :yes:
As I always say, if they are willing buyers to pay for the price, then all's fine with me and even better for the seller!

I agree too! It seems unfair to those who legitimately collect things, but it's just one of those things you take in stride. What it all boils down to is how much the demand for the item is and how much people are willing to pay and what lengths they will go to obtain it (i.e., waiting in line for days or paying more for it on ebay).

Sure it's supply and demand, but it's also greed. And there's no way I'd congratulate greedy sellers for being "smart".

I guess I disagree about the greed part...it's business. Ticket companies like Stubhub sell concert tickets for upwards of 10x the original price...and it is completely legal and people pay it because they want the premium seats...or they sat around and didn't buy tickets until the last minute.

And they probably have systems where they acquire all of these fabulous seats that probably make those who legitimately sit on the phone at 10 AM the day tickets release angry....but guess what? If you want to go to that concert bad enough...you'll pay it.

Substitute tickets with bags and you have the same thing with ebay. For many of these ebay sellers it is not greed....it's business.
And yea...the price may look outrageous...but factor in their monthly overhead of managing their ebay store, listing fees, ebay's outrageous final value fees, and paypal's fees...and you're already losing upwards of 6-8% of the price of the bag. On a 3K bag...that's a chunk of change!

Sorry....I just can't call it greedy.......and ya know.....there will come a time when I can't get a bag I really really really want...and I'll end up paying a huge markup...but c'est la vie (it's actually happening right now with the heart purse)!

I agree

:yes:
I personally think there is nothing wrong with buying something and asking more for it. I am sure people are doing it with the new iphone, PS3, xbox 360, ect.. but maybe these people buy the bag knowing they can very well make a profit and if they never do sell it they also bought it knowing that it may not sell and they may actually LIKE the bag so they still get something out of it, its like gambling. I did it with my LV S/S 2006 jacket, I didn't make a profit but I listed it and If it sold then cool more $ for me, but if not, I still have the jacket I like..

kwim?
I am ALL for it, I guess these people who can't get these bags need to act much faster, sorry

It's really business for most ebay store owners. At the end of the day, if your relationship with your SA is good enough, you WILL get your LE.

I think it also depends on whether you are dealing with a SA who has a say on whether you'll get a bag.

Also, to me, being about 'business' doesn't mean it's not greedy. I get your point about ebay fees etc Twiggers, but there are plenty of non-store-owners who buy LE bags with the intention to profit from others' desperation. Including fellow tFpers.

I was looking at them on Ebay after reading this and i noticed that none of them have sold yet though! So maybe people just wont pay those prices and they will be forced to lower the price if they want to sell? I noticed several that were around 2500 or 2600 which is still a hefty profit but not as bad as some others....i dont know what i think of it, i think its too bad for people that couldnt get one at retail price but at least if someone really wanted one and couldnt get it, they have a way to get one still.