Thinking of trading my Sophia...

1. I'm pretty new to the forum, but I'd love some help/opinions, as from what I've read, everyone here seems really knowledgeable and helpful...

I bought a Sophia bag last year (in Bark) that I have only used a handful of times. Love the bag, but for whatever reason I just don't love actually carrying it. I have been offered an LV Papillon 26 in a trade (straight up). I know that the LV retails for less than the Sophia, but other than that, does this seem like a decent trade? Am I dumb to give up the Sophia? I bought it because I love the color and I adore all things Marc Jacobs. I just don't know if it's one of those things that I should hang on to because some day I may be sorry that I let it go. What do the MJ aficionados think??
  2. ^ any chance you can post a pic of it, so we can all drool on it? Bark is a purdy color. But the other half of me thinks you should get a bag that will make you happy to carry. I still lean toward the MJ (not much help here).
  3. I agree, it's only worth trading if it's a bag you will definitely use. The bark is beautiful, but if you're not using it, then move on....
  4. please post pics
  5. on my shoulder...

6. If you think the LV will get more use, and you may appreciate it more, then trade, if not....well keep your MJ. Tough call.
  7. omg keep the bag, it looks very good on you.
  8. Tough one. I like MJ bags. Not all that nuts about LV. If you don't use it, though. I would only trade the MJ for a bag that I really loved. If you are only so-so on the other bag, then wait for a trade that would really make you happy or just sell it outright and take the $$$ to purchase an MJ that you really love. I am sure you would have no trouble selling that bag. It's beautiful.
  9. Even though MJ's Sophia ($895USD) retails more than LV's Papillon 26 ($615USD), MJ bags especially Sophia doesn't retain their values like LV. LV bags never go on sale, their prices only increase. On the other hand, many Sophias made their way to outlets and they don't have high re-sale value (many of them go for $200-$300 on eBay).

As for whether it's a reasonable trade, you might want to post in LV Forum and ask members about LV Papillon 26's resale value.

Everything is a relative issue, there's no right or wrong answer. If you don't use Sophia, let it go unless you like to collect bags from your favorite designer. Maybe you can look for another MJ style in Bark. Good luck with your decision.

10. I think Papillon 26 is very cute!

(source: eluxury)
    Originally designed in 1966 by Henri Vuitton, the Papillon has become one of Louis Vuitton's most endearing bags. With its rounded body and two straps evoking wings, the shape takes on the form and spirit of a papillon (butterfly). The handheld Papillon 26 is sized for cellular phone and other city essentials.
    • Monogram canvas with natural cowhide trim and golden hardware
    • Zip top
    • Cross-grain leather lining
    • 10.8" L x 5.3" H x 5.3" W
  11. I agree with bag.lover that MJ bags generally don't retain their value but I like Sophia much more than the Papillon. I think it looks great on you and that you should keep it but if you are going to use the LV more then go for it!
  12. I emailed the woman who wanted to do the trade and said 'no thank you.' I know that the LV is probably a smarter bag to own, as it will never go out of style, is immune to most damage, etc..., but the papillon style isn't practical for me. If it was a speedy, however, I would have done it in a heartbeat. I got a fabulous price on the Sophia at Bloomie's when I originally bought it, so even if I could only get a few hundred bucks back for it, i'd be totally fine with it. The next bag on my list is a Julianne, and I'd love to make some $ to put toward one. :smile:

Thanks for your input, everyone!
  13. good choice - i like the sophia much better than papillon, FWIW :smile:

sophia looks so great on you - if it was that cute on me, i'd own 4!

14. I don't think the Papillon 26 is as useful as the Sophia... you made a good decision :smile:
  15. I agree. If it had been a Speedy, I think it would have been a better trade. Still like the Sophia, though.