Things I have learned about buying bags through trial and error...

1) i have to be able to carry the bag on my shoulder, crook of the elbow or in my hand. Unless it's a clutch, it has to be multi functional

2) it must fit all my stuff. I got new sunglasses a year ago and the case was nearly the size of my bag! Upgrades all around:yes:

3) color is my friend-especially autumn colors. I'll carry darker color bags year round. "summer" bags don't really work for me.

4) buying on-line is dangerous! i've had to send back more than a few bags because they just haven't worked in real life. I'm a bargain hunter at heart-but i have to at least try to find the bag at the store and try it out first

5) BUT sometimes, functionality wins. If a bag is perfect for a certain scenario and doesn't look just right-i'll still go with it.

6) and last-if I don't use the bag often-it's time to put it up on ebay.

Don't compromise! If you want a particular bag, don't buy an obscure color because you can get it for $500 less than a popular color. If you can only use it three days a year, it really isn't a good value.

Be practical! Handbags are too expensive these days to purchase spontaneously because they are "cute".

Great thread. Here are mine:

(1) As tempting as internet-buying is, don't buy a bag unless you can see it IRL first. Size is deceptive in pics, and weight is virtually impossible to judge. If you do buy on the Internet and you haven't seen the bag in person, make sure it is returnable.
(2) Purse linings are indispensable! Whether it's a Chameleon (my choice), Purseket, or something else, it keeps the purse lining pristine, makes changing purses easy, and keeps everything organized.
(3) Taste changes from year to year, so if you're going to buy a really expensive bag, make sure it is a classic that is going to last a while.

And, my big lesson learned: I always think my next bag will keep me satisfied for a while. Never happens. No matter how many bags I have, as soon as I get that "last" bag, my mind starts working on the next "must have". Maybe I'll get there someday, but I'm beginning to doubt it. :shrugs:

1 - its not the impulse shopping that's my problem, its the 'wow what a good deal' + impulse shopping that's my problem

2 - I like sort of 'flat' bags, but I have to be careful they aren't too flat to be useful.

3 - if I'm not using it sell it on Ebay

4 - its ok to buy on the internet if I'm getting a good deal, just be ok with proceeding to lesson 3

5 - vintage bags should not be ignored

You get what you pay for! If you want a bag thats $1300 and you find it for sale for $300 its fake! Designer bags are made well, its an investment. (Invest wisely!)

Great thread. Here are mine:

(1) As tempting as internet-buying is, don't buy a bag unless you can see it IRL first. Size is deceptive in pics, and weight is virtually impossible to judge. If you do buy on the Internet and you haven't seen the bag in person, make sure it is returnable.

And, my big lesson learned: I always think my next bag will keep me satisfied for a while. Never happens. No matter how many bags I have, as soon as I get that "last" bag, my mind starts working on the next "must have". Maybe I'll get there someday, but I'm beginning to doubt it. :shrugs:

Very true!

I've about given up on internet buying. I've returned 3 bags in the past month that I never would have bought if I saw them IRL.

I also thought the last bag I bought was my last, but I've already got my eye on another "must have."

Here's what I've learned:

1. Love what you have- if you don't, sell what you don't love. Also, be appreciative of everything you have that you do love. This mindset helps keep me from constantly lusting after everything and anything.

2. If you don't love it, don't buy it; even if it's on sale- even if I buy a bag at a great price, but I'm not head over heels for it to begin with, it will just fall more out of favour as time passes. Not worth it.

3. Don't buy heavy bags- they make my shoulder hurt, and then I get grouchy! :P

All wonderful advice!

I'm a big bag girl. I wander up and down through different sizes myself, but the quantity of stuff I carry with me on a daily basis is enormous. So a big bag shall never go out of style with me. I must remember this fact as I find myself continually enchanted by small clutches and handbags.

Organize your purses so you know what you have. Until I did so I found myself continually buying green and blue bags. I love green and blue, but I really don't have need of multiple handbags in those colors. They're still the first color I'm drawn to, but now I put it down as I don't need another. Same goes with white now too.

I find a purseket or chameleon absolutely indispensible. My husband was pestering me to rid myself of some of my handbags because he said "I wasn't using them." I found out about the purseket here and *poof* now I can change my handbag every darn day. I spend more time thinking about which one I want to use than I do changing it out.

I found that I have a hard time carrying shoulder bags that have two straps. Maybe I have narrow shoulder or something, but I always have a hard time keeping the straps on my shoulder, they always slip off, which irritates me to no end... then I found out that single-strap shoulder bags work the best for me because I can kinda hold it tight against my body with my arm...

I also don't really like open bags because I would worry that someone might steal something out of it or for a klutz like me, to drop my purse and have everything fall out...

But the most important thing is - I love pockets! I like being able to know exactly where my cell phone is... where my car keys are... I just like being able to organize things and grab them out whenever I need them... I have a purseket which is pretty useful but I would prefer a bag with multiple pocket or some kind of inside pocket....

And finally... don't buy a bag without trying it on... bags could look sooooo cute and TDF online... but unless you see it, touch it and try it on in person, you can never know... I was in love with this one purse but after trying it on in person, it was too heavy and just doesn't look right on me...

So these are what I learn from buying bags over the years... :P

Don't impulse buy! I have learned, amazingly, that my life actually does NOT end if I don't buy that bag I think I cannot live without, right then and there. And sometimes the desire to have it actually goes away with time. If it doesn't, I can find the bag again, and if I cannot then perhaps it was not meant to be.

One bad buying experience can ruin a whole bag for me, so I never buy unless I am totally happy with the experience AND the bag. In most cases, the same bag can be found in the next department store or boutique or can be ordered, and I'd rather wait for the order than remember someone being rude and unpleasant everytime I look at the bag.

There are a few things that I simply need in a everyday bag, and at least one easily accessible outside pocket is one of them. I cannot compromise on that or I end up never using the bag.

I love all these words of wisdom. After many expensive mistakes, I have learned:
Don't get caught up in "it" bag hype. Stick to classic styles that will not look "so last year" next year. White bags just don't work for me, ever. Double shoulder straps are a noi-no because one always falls off. And I have NEVER been able to work with the foldover hobo -type closure (think Fendi Spy), it makes me mad to put that much effort into opening and closing my bag.
Knowing what doesn't work is very liberating, isn't it?
I also try to avoid the big clearance sales after Christmas- I have made many mistakes when I see those huge discounts. I will buy bags that I would never even consider at full price, and I never like them.

What an AWESOME idea for a post!

Just because something fits in the bag, doesn't mean you should always carry it.

Think about the color of hardware, as insignificant as it may seem, it can be an issue in the future.

Try having a variety of styles! I know it's hard to stick with your one, safe style but branch out and you'll have tons of options for the future. (Try different styles of prints/fabrics too)

I have learned:
- not to impulse buy, especially great bargains
- that an open top is okay if the bag is deep, but not shallow
- it is better to buy in person than on line
- that I need a bigger bag to hold everything I need
- you get what you pay for
- black always looks great on me
- don't let a SA guilt you into buying
- I need pockets for my cell phone and keys