Theory Clothing - Quality or Overpriced?

I love theory too but will not get them at their retail prices. I tend to go to saks off or neiman marcus last call and get it there. I do love their fabric quality and their overall classic look.

My only Theory piece is a blazer that I got for $150 at Nordstrom Rack. The quality is good and it looks nice, but I don't think I would pay the $395 original price for it! I don't think it is worth that much! So I do think Theory is a bit overpriced.

I loooove theory- I think 50% of my wardrobe is made up of it. I love their jeans, which they don't make the same anymore because the designer left a couple years ago- I was able to snag 6 pairs before they changed designers! I also love the cashmere sweaters- especially because many of them are cut very long, so they are very flattering. As long as you get them dry cleaned and take care of them, they can last a long time- I have a dozen or so cashmere sweaters from theory, and 3 or 4 are from at least 4 years ago and still look great. However- I don't think I have ever paid retail for any of my pieces. (maybe a tank top or basic tee). Besides the outlet, which is awesome- they have end-of-season sales 2x a year. You can get pants for $59 or cashmere sweaters for $49. I got a gorgeous velvet blazer (retail was over $400) for $79. They also have lots of basic tanks and tees that will run $19-29. I also wait for bloomies sales- the ones that give you additional 30-40% off sale items. That is the time to stock up. LASTLY...check your local TJ Maxx or Marshalls. Holy crap the number of Theory items I have come across is astounding. Just last month I found a NWT black sweater with the theory price tag on it of $375 for $49 at Marshalls. You have to search the racks- especially the clearance section, but you can always find unique tops and lots of pants. I have to say I am a Theory fanatic! :shrugs:

I love Theory but I do think they are way overpriced. I buy all of my Theory pieces at places like TJ Maxx and the Saks and NM outlet stores. I've gotten several items for under $20 each!

Last edited:
Big Theory fan here. As a matter of fact, all but 1 of my business suits are Theory :biggrin: High quality and great fit.
I will pay full price for the stuff that will last forever and go with everything, like a classic suit, but other things like tops, some pants, etc. I will wait for a sale.