The World's Most Unusual Hotels *pics*

1. Great for a Friday posting - enjoy! I'd love to see if anyone here an seen/been to any of these.
    Ariau Towers Hotel
    Not for the acrophobic, this hotel lets you sleep in the treetops of the Amazon Rainforest. "Tarzan's house," for example, is perched on stilts, 80 feet above ground. Situated on the bank of the Negro River, Ariau's apartments, suites and tree houses are linked by a series of catwalks. Rates start at $280 per night and include meals and tours.
    Beckham Creek Cave Haven
    Parthenon, Ark.
    A "luxurious cave" may sound like the ultimate contradiction. This property, built into the Ozark Mountains, features natural rock walls and ceilings as well as Jacuzzi bathtubs and large windows for letting in light. Built as a Cold War bomb shelter by John Hay, founder of Celestial Seasonings tea, it's now a base from which to hike, bike and explore local springs. Rates start at $450 per night.
    Casablanca Hotel
    New York
    Ever wanted to live like Bogey? The 48-room Casablanca Hotel in Times Square features a Moroccan décor complemented by Rick's Café, named for the restaurant in the classic 1942 film featuring Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman. Rates, ranging from $219 to $459, include continental breakfast and wine each afternoon.
    Qingdao, China
    Scheduled to open in 2009, the Hydropalace in Qingdao, China, will be anchored in the Yellow Sea in water that is 16 to 20 meters deep at low tide. Guests will arrive at the hotel by yacht, which will also go to a planned land-based hydrotower, scheduled to open for the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing. Rates for suites are expected to be well above those for five-star properties. Regular rooms are to be priced in the range of other five-star properties.
    Ice Hotel
    Quebec, Canada
    The Ice Hotel is created anew each year out of 15,000 pounds of snow and 500 pounds of ice. The 34-room hotel features an ice chapel, two art galleries and a host of outdoor activities. The temperature inside the hotel ranges from 23 to 28 degrees Fahrenheit and the beds are carved from ice. Happily, the bathrooms are not--the heated facilities are in the adjacent hotel. The hotel is open from January to April, with rates starting at about $175 per night.

2. [​IMG]
    Jules Undersea Lodge
    Key Largo, Fla.
    This former research lab is located underwater in a tropical mangrove habitat, and guests must scuba dive 21 feet to get to the main lobby. It can accommodate up to six guests, and each air-conditioned room features a 42-inch window in the water. The dining room has custom mermaid and "mer-man" tables. Our only question: Where's the pool? Rates range from $250 to $395 per night.
    Library Hotel
    New York
    Appropriately located near the New York Public Library, the hotel has 60 rooms on 10 floors. Each floor is designed after one of the ten categories of the Dewey Decimal System, such as Math and Science and Religion, and each room houses part of the hotel's collection of 6,000 books. Rates range from $279 to $525 a night.
    The Pitcher Inn
    Warren, Vt.
    The nine rooms and two suites at The Pitcher Inn, also built by the Smith family, are designed on themes such as "School," "Trout" and "Calvin Coolidge." We're not just talking variations in wallpaper--the "Stable" suite has a hay chute opening into it. Guests don't rough it, however. The inn is a Relais and Chateaux property, and it includes a spa and dining room that uses fresh local and regional ingredients. Rates range from $350 to $700 a night.
    Morris, Conn.
    At Winvian, which will open this fall, lodging options range from a helicopter to a log cabin. The hotel features 18 individually designed cottages and one suite located in the main house. Included in the rates are all meals and drinks (excluding a reserve wine list), Vespa scooters, horseback riding and other activities. The resort also has a 5,000-square-foot spa. Rates range from $1,450 to $1,950 a night.
    Quinta Real Zacateca
    Zacatecas, Mexico
    It seems so obvious--once a bullring, now a luxury hotel. Hotel Quinta Real Zacatecas is built around a 17th century arena. The beds are situated under stone and wooden arches, and several overlook the main Plaza de Toros. The cellar bar is in the old bull corrals. Rooms include amenities like satellite television and Jacuzzi baths. Rates range from $167 to over $900 per night.
  3. Whoa !! There quite incredible. especially Beckham Creek. Not sure about the Ice Hotel though. I'm sure its perfect for some.

Great post.
  4. Great hotels...!! *sigh*
  5. Wow!

I never stayed in any of those hotels on the list, but we did stay in one that I'd like to consider unusual:

My family and I once stayed in a hotel called The Village when we were in Pohnpei.

They were just bungalows in the middle of the jungle.

This is a description I got from the hotel website:

The bungalows are built like the Long House. It sits on long poles in the middle of banana, elephant-ear taro, bamboo, palm trees, and lush ferns, and is reached by a black pebble path strewn with hibiscus flowers.
    It's situated to take full advantage of the prevailing breezes and ocean views.
    There are screens all around, and a white ceiling fan whirls overhead. Every evening a gauze net is draped around each of the two queen-sized waterbeds. (I think the netting was there because of something having to do with geckos.)

The wood lined shower is spacious, and has a ready supply of hot water. Victorian wicker chairs and love seats echo the South Seas feeling. Birds chirping in the nearby trees at dawn and the sounds of raindrops on the thatch roofs are thrown in free of charge.

This is a description of the hotel's restaurant:
    The Long House - the largest thatched roof building in Micronesia, is built of large mangrove posts and beams, with smaller rafters lashed in place to hold the thatch.
    You can get the best Bloody Mary you've ever tasted at the famous Tattooed Irishman bar, along with a breathtaking view of the lagoon and the sunset.
    The restaurant fare is scrumptious - the best food from Honolulu to Hong Kong. The prime rib, steaks and lamb come from Denver.

The fish is caught daily, and local farmers grow most of the salad greens. You'll find the staff friendly and eager to please.

I remember one night at sunset, my family and I are eating dinner, and we were watching bats fly around
  6. OMG I want to go visit all of them NOW!!!!
  7. There's also a vintage trailer hotel. Every "room" is actually a trailer. I saw it on one of the travel channel's hotel specials.
  8. My brother and his wife visited the ice hotel, they said it was AMAZING and recommend it to anyone, my SIL *hates* the cold and even she said it was fab. I want to stay in ALL of those hotels...... maybe one day
  9. love all except the under-water bit - just not for me to sleep like this.
  10. Those are really neat! I really like the ice hotel for some bizzare reason. Or the library one, I'd love to stay at that hotel.
  11. Wow very cool! Ever since I heard about it (a couple years ago) I've always wanted to try the treetops one in Brazil!