The Walking Dead on AMC

1zyc1ok.jpg

I cant believe how folks are grossed out by the episode...Game of thrones anyone? Folks looks for anything to complain about these days...
Never watched game of thrones .. I work in Healthcare .. I see blood all the time.uhh. just not used to seeing someone's head smashed by a bat wrapped in barb wire and brains everywhere .. I couldn't help it, yeah it grossed me out.

Last edited:
Reactions: WillstarveforLV
^The gore is usually different on this show though... it's gross but borders on the cartoonish. This was something else.

I would say I'm pretty desensitized to tv or movie violence but I can see why people may have had a problem with this episode.

Reactions: anabg and Sassys
^ Poor old Hershel I had completely forgotten him.

I saw the headline of an article yesterday that said this premiere represented the best and worst of the TWD, I didn't read the article but I think I know exactly what it meant.

The Hershel beheading and the neck bitting highlight a problem with the show in that it's stuck in a cycle of oneupmanship.

I don't think the gruesomeness comes down to how much gore and blood there is, it's more the context... who's getting killed and how they're getting killed for what purpose. The image of the bat making contact with the head was quite shocking not only because it's a shocking thing to see and you had developed a relationship with the characters but because they milked this thing for all it was worth. They literally could not have teased this thing out any more if they tried or had more expectation hanging over it.

Then after they've killed two characters in the show they still tease the death of all the other characters and tease the dismemberment of Carl... that poor, poor, wretched, one eyed child.... as if they don't tease out their fragile existences enough on this show... oh wait that's all they ever do, we get it, it's the zombie apocalypse and they could all die at annnnny mooooooooment!!! so stay tuned next week for when the next body drops because this time it's really going to mean something... we promise! Good god could someone put Mr Sweaty pants Rick out of his misery already.... I swear if I have to watch sweat drip off the tip of Rick's nose one more time I am going to lose it.

Was this episode good writing or did they write it in this way to cover for the mistakes they made last season and the season before that? Glenn's death was the one that was important because it was expected and because he had been around long enough for people to develop a relationship to him. The Abraham fake out was enough they didn't need to pile on the misery for it to have resonance in the overall story.

It felt like exploitation and manipulation more than a satisfying ending to last season or a good setup to this season to be honest. In that context I can see why the gruesomeness of the death would have been a bridge too far for some.

Last edited:
I cant believe how folks are grossed out by the episode...Game of thrones anyone? Folks looks for anything to complain about these days...

Rick bit a man in his jugular 2 seasons ago, Hershel's head was chopped off and they didn't really hold back....gore is nothing new on this show. Plus it's on cable not some family channel like NBC or ABC.

I think it felt really gruesome because it happened to people we as fans cared about. Hershel's beheading was one swift chop (very fast), it wasn't constant beating like Glenn and Abraham got. I cried for Hershel too, but I did not scream out in pain like Glenn. Hershel's death was so fast, you didn't have time to react. His head was chopped off, body fell and then it was on to the next shot. I also cried when Carl was put to the ground, it was like as a fan, you felt like you were there and had enough and wanted the torture to stop. Almost like, okay, please we will do whatever you want, just stop. I felt the same way about Carl as I did, when that guy from Terimus held Judith by the neck as she cried. She is baby and does not deserve that. Yes, it is a tv show, but that fact the baby was actually crying really got to me.

Last edited:
I think it felt really gruesome because it happened to people we as fans cared about. Hershel's beheading was one swift chop (very fast), it wasn't constant beating like Glenn and Abraham got. I cried for Hershel too, but I did not scream out in pain like Glenn. Hershel's death was so fast, you didn't have time to react. I also cried when Carl was put to the ground, it was like as a fan, you felt like you were there and had enough and wanted the torture to stop.
My thoughts exactly !