The tragic death of our dog chuggie - long

1. Fellow dog lovers, I need your support and understanding. My avatar and nickname come from our dog Metani, that we affectionately call "The Chug" or "Chuggie" because she is a pug/chihuahua mix. We rescued her 2.5 years ago (at the age of one). While she can be a royal pain, this dog was completely loyal and always loved to snuggle.

Until two days ago she had always been healthy. On Tuesday evening she was running around playing. Suddenly she developed a loose stool and then started to heave and basically couldn't walk. We immediately rushed her to the vet and left her there for what we assumed would be a normal treatment for dehydration and to get medicine. They called us 1/2 hour later and asked us to immediately come back. When we arrived, the vet explained that she went into shock and she quit breathing and her heart stopped. Amazingly, they were able to revive her through CPR. They worked over 3 hours to stablize her, but I could tell that they were still worried. They suggested we rush her to a nearby city to place her at 24 hour emergency vet clinic.

We drove her the 45 minutes late Tuesday night, just hoping she would make it there. The vet at the clinic seemed to think she would ultimately be ok, but would need some care to help her recover. We left that night, planning to come back the next day. In the morning they called and said she collapsed again, but could revive her and she died. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I screamed in disbelief and collapsed on the floor. Since then my husband and I have been crying and trying to come to terms with her death. We paid for an autopsy, but so far there is no obvious cause. How can a robust, healthy 3.5 year old dog just die?! :wtf: I'm so heartbroken I can hardly take it.

We had just euthanized one of our other dogs in July (though he was old and quite sick). We have three other rescue babies with us, but right now I can only think about Chuggie and wanting her back so badly. :sad: I wish I could have more time with her. I know that I will continue to treasure our remaining dogs and one day we'll rescue another dog in need.

Has anyone else lost their dogs in such a quick manner? I need some words of wisdom or just comfort. Thanks.
  2. Oh I am just sick for you. I have heard of this, sometimes a dog just has something happen or gets sick or something. I had a doggie once get his stomach twisted and we had to put him down as he was 16 and would not have survived the often fatal surgery. I am so sad. There is a great website where I have found support and solice with fellow pet lovers who have lost pets.
  3. Oh my dear...Im crying as I respond. Im so sorry. My deepest, heartfelt sympathy. I feel awful for you. There are no words. I hope you will be ok, and time heels your sadness. Big hugs and much love to you. Please pop in and let us know how you are doing. I feel so bad.:crybaby:
  4. Oh, sweetie, your post made me :cry: :crybaby: There's nothing to say to make a hurt like this better, but we're all here for you. Give lots of love to your other rescue babies and know Chuggie is over the Rainbow Bridge.

5. Oh Chuggie, I cannot even begin to say how sorry I am. I'm crying over here too. I can't imagine how heard this is for you. I have always loved your avatar with that sweet face. I firmly believe dogs go to heaven. There are no words to express how sorry I am, but you are an angel for providing such a great loving life to your Chuggie. You gave her a life she wouldn't have had otherwise.

Do keep us posted. I'm thinking about you in this difficult time.
  6. I'm so sorry.:sad:

My sister's 2 year old American bulldog died 2 months ago...after eating his breakfast. He wasn't even sick, he just dropped dead right next to his food bowl. She still can't come to terms with it. It's never easy to lose a dog, but to lose a seemingly healthy young dog is very hard to accept. Once again, I'm so sorry. Hugs.
  7. I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.
  8. OMG :crybaby: Im at a loss for words. I am so sorry to hear this! I hope they find out what happened, please keep us updated. My thoughts and prayers are with you!
  9. Wow! Thank you for the quick response and words of support. I can't express how much this forum means to me and the kindness of the people here. I'm crying right now reading through the responses. There are many people that just don't understand how much a cherished pet can mean to us. These dogs are my kids, and Chuggie was my best gal.

Irishgal, I will definitely check out the website. I am so emotionally distraught and in need of support that the a specific website for pet loss is just what I need.
  10. OMG Chuggie I am sooo sorry for your loss, my thought and prayers are with you and your family. Its terrible to loose a part of your family, I dont have any other words to express how sorry I am for your loss:heart:
  11. Oh my, I am so extremely sorry for your families loss of Chuggie. Although Chuggie is in heaven now she will always be with you in heart and spirit. Please let us know what you find out regaurding the autopsy results. Again, I am so very very sorry.:s
  12. I'm terribly sorry about your sweet Chuggie. It's dreadful to lose our pets.

My older son's first rescue dog became ill and their vet could not discover why. They quickly took her to the Iowa State Univ. vet. school/hospital, so she had the most advanced care. It was exactly as you described--they thought they could save her, but she suddenly died, and although these vet professors did an autopsy, they never figured out what happened. I hope this story simply tells you that you're not alone. We want answers and when we can't get them, we want to rage against something for our loss and not understanding why.

((hugs)) I hope it helps to know you gave your dog the best family she could ever have.
  13. I went to the petloss website and really started to cry all over again (actually, I should say sobbing). There are some great stories and poems that can really express the set of emotions I feeling right now - anger, guilt, frustration, sadness, etc.

Boxermom, thanks for your story too. It's hard to accept that a dog would die without a cause. At the same time, if we find out that Chuggie ingested a substance that made her sick, then I would feel like we let her down by not protecting her.
  14. ^aww, don't blame yourself :sad: i'm sure you showed chuggie a lot of love and care! i'm sorry about your loss.. i know how you're feeling.. losing a pup/friend is never easy :[ i wish the best for you and your husband.

RIP chuggie :heart: you're a lovely pup~
  15. oh no....! Chuggie, I'm so sorry and I too, like many other members, teared up at this post and started to cry when I got to the end.

I'm so sorry for your sudden and unfortunate loss Chuggie. You tried your best to help Metani and it really doesnt make sense why she left all of a sudden but the 2.5 years she was with you, I can guarantee were the best years of her life. I can't even begin to imagine how hard this is on you, your husband, and the rest of your pets but stay strong! Metani would hate to see you upset.