The New YSL Saint Laurent "Shiny" Mini Lou Camera Bag in Smooth Leather

Aug 22, 2012
YLS Mini Lou Camera Bag lovers, unite!
We have a new version of the Mini Lou without the tassel and it looks like a winner.

I never loved the tassel detail on the Mini Lou because it makes the bag heavier than it already is, and more cumbersome as it can get tangled with the chain strap. I also think a tassel as a handle pull is not the most convenient and it makes the bag age faster because the wear shows up quickly on the tassel as it has to be fondled and pulled every time we open and close the bag.

Also, the boho look of the tassel makes this bag more casual since the tassel cannot be removed for dressier and formal events. So this version without the tassel makes the bag more versatile as it can be dressed up or down.

The only con I find is that the leather in this new style is not our beloved, indestructible caviar-textured leather. They made this one with smooth leather and called it "shiny." I haven't seen it IRL yet so I'm not sure if it's too shiny or just the perfect amount of sheen, so if anyone has seen it, please do share your feedback.

This style is currently available on the YSL website in black, dark beige and blanc vintage. The "older" version with the tassel is no longer being sold on the YSL site, so we could assume it will be slowly discontinued and replaced by this new version, but who knows.
I for one think removing the tassel was a genius idea and can't wait to get my hands on one of these beauties.

Screen Shot 2023-08-30 at 8.30.21 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-08-30 at 8.29.24 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-08-30 at 8.29.15 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-08-30 at 8.28.04 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-08-30 at 8.28.22 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-08-30 at 8.28.32 AM.pngsaint-laurent-paris-mini-lou-in-shiny-black-quilted-leather.jpeg

Last edited:
Pretty! Actually, I know the grained caviar leather is great, but I personally had a bad experience with it. Some parts of it started turning white, no idea why, alcohol, sunscreen, defect in general, not sure. I even took it to the boutique and when they tried to buff it out, it got worse. I actually love their loulou / toy loulou line with the smooth leather, so far it's been very easy to maintain. I think this smooth leather might not be as difficult to maintain as long as it's thick and sturdy like their loulou line.

Reactions: WillWordForBags
I love the Lou and Loulou leather too! I hope this new Mini Lou is in that same leather. I'm just curious why they called it "shiny" and hoping it doesn't mean patent leather cause I don't love that. It doesn't look like at all patent leather in the photos, though.

I have heard about quality issues with YSL's caviar leather. I was about to pull the trigger on a Small Woc with that same leather and didn't because I've heard so many complaints about damages on the first few wears. Then I saw this new Mini Lou and that was it for the Small Woc. For just $100 more, I can get the capacity of the Mini Lou which is double or more than that of the small Woc.
I still love the shape of the Small Woc and the overall concept, but this Mini Lou is much more practical for my lifestyle.

My next step is deciding which one to order: the black or the dark beige... :amuse::angel::confused1:

It's not that I didn't like this bag when it had the tassel - I did. But I agree that removing it basically revamped the bag. It's less casual now, which I personally prefer. The leather looks really nice, too.

It's not that I didn't like this bag when it had the tassel - I did. But I agree that removing it basically revamped the bag. It's less casual now, which I personally prefer. The leather looks really nice, too.
Well said. Removing the tassel changes the entire concept of the bag. I always wanted to remove the tassel when I had mine (I sold it cause I didn't like the tassel as a zipper pull), but knew I couldn't do that.

I had the Gucci Disco Sohos with zipper pull tassels and enjoyed all of them at the time (still have one in that bronze metallic leather), but now I look for bags that are more streamlined and simple (love my Polene bags, for instance).

This new style of Mini Lou seems to fall into that category as it looks less cluttered and more refined.
Can't wait to see it IRL. I might go to the store soon or even order one online. :nuts::cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: IntheOcean
but now I look for bags that are more streamlined (love my Polene bags, for instance) and simple.
same! :yes: I used to love all the embellishments and decorations on my bags and clothing - tassels, fringes, rivets, studs - when I was in my... I don't know, young adult years? But since then I started gravitating towards less busy and more classic looks. (I forgot the Disco Soho bag, almost never see them anymore, yet a few years ago they were literally everywhere!)

same! :yes: I used to love all the embellishments and decorations on my bags and clothing - tassels, fringes, rivets, studs - when I was in my... I don't know, young adult years? But since then I started gravitating towards less busy and more classic looks. (I forgot the Disco Soho bag, almost never see them anymore, yet a few years ago they were literally everywhere!)
Exactly. I have been choosing simpler accessories for a few years now. I still love my high-end designer bags but stay away from loud monograms and crazy logos. Now, I tend to opt for that new trend of "quiet luxury," except when I get bags that have a shiny gold YSL logo on them, lol. :biggrin:

I still see the Soho Disco a lot. I've also started to see the new Gucci version of the Disco which is the Blondie bag. I quite like it. It looks more modern but I think it has that same tassel as a zipper pull deal and I'm still not a fan of that.
Plus, I'm a bit tired of the tassels at the moment, so like you, I'm going for more classic looks.

So I ordered this little cutie to see it IRL. First one got lost and BG sent me another one and gave me a gift card for the inconvenience so that was awesome.

The bag is absolutely stunning. The soft leather is beautiful and has a slight, elegant sheen (not shiny). Smells delicious.
I immediately noticed how lightweight it is compared to the one with the tassel. My only complaint is that the zipper pull, although beautiful and more sophisticated than the tassel, is very little (The photo makes it look larger.) It should be a bit bigger for a more comfortable opening and closing.

All in all, the bag is everything we thought it would be.

Now for me, personally, I think I concluded that my main issue with this bag was that it hangs too low for my taste. The drop is around 23-24” and I prefer a shorter drop of about 21.5-22” (I’m 5’5.5”) The extra inches do make a difference for me because the other thing I notice is that the way that the strap is connected to the bag (from the opposing corners of the sides and not the centers of the sides) makes it swing a bit when I walk.

I ended up ordering a Small Envelope bag (mixed caviar pattern) for a steal and I think that one will suit me more because it has a shorter drop and the chain is attached from the center.

Regardless, this bag is so beautiful and perfect for those who like a lower sitting bag when worn crossbody. It’s a smart jump from the previous style and still one of YSL’s most affordable and worthwile bags to own.

I will add more photos with daylight since were taken in the evening making the color looks more taupe than beige.

IMG_6120.jpegIMG_6119.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JLT1
@IntheOcean @Tina1010

Update:
I received the small envelope bag and was a bit disappointed. The quilting is stunning and the overall look of the bag is beautiful. The shape is perfect and so is the size.

The problem I found is that it’s very structured and stiff. That and the cylinder-shaped sides make the bag be less spacious than the Mini Lou. Actually not spacious at all. The bag is also very thick and has sturdy hardware which make it very heavy.

The drop is perfect for me but the stiffness and weight of the bag are deal breakers. I prefer the semi-structured/soft-leather combination of the Loulou, Lou and new Mini Lou.

So glad I could compare cause now I’m liking the Mini Lou I got even more and will probably be keeping it. The fact that it is so lightweight and fits my essentials makes the details I’m not crazy about seem less annoying.
I’m also very interested in the Small WOC even though it seems to fit almost nothing, but I love the shape, drop and overall look of that one too.

Last edited: