Food The Muffin Top

DIET DIET DIET! The only way to lose excess fat around your mid-area is to change your diet! You can work out and sweat all you want, but if you are not putting the proper foods into your body... that little bit of fat will hang on for dear life.

- You want to elevate your metabolism. Your diet contributes to about two thirds of the weight loss, the rest involves: exercise, sufficient sleep, and decreasing stress levels (cortisol = fat storage in ugly places!)
- Eat more often, about 5-6 times a day, but SMALLER portions. Eat every 2-3 hours. This will raise your metabolism. If it helps, keep a food diary.
- Limit your carbohydrate intake, it is best not to eat starchy foods after 6-7pm. If you must, stick to whole grain, or rye, bread. Get the majority of your carbs through fruits & veggies though.
- Make sure you eat foods that are low in saturated and trans fat, and obtain enough good fat (omega 3 fatty acids - salmon oil supplements are excellent for this). Again, avoid eating late at night.
- Eat plenty of protein! Staples should be: chicken breast, tuna, salmon, turkey, egg whites, cottage cheese!
- Drink LOTS of water. To prevent water retention, drink more water and cut foods that are high in sodium! 2-3 litres a day is good, at first, you'll have to pee every 10 min. but after a few weeks your body will adjust, trust me!

Like someone already mentioned, you CANNOT spot reduce. Stick to a consistent and realistic exercise routine:

- CARDIOVASCULAR activity, 3-4 times a week for 30-45 minutes in duration. It's important not to overdo your cardio sessions as it will do more harm than good.
- If you really want to pump up your metabolism, do your cardio in the morning before breakfast on an empty stomach, and also incorporate resitance/weight training into your workout to increase flexibilty and build muscle. High intensity interval training (HIIT) is also a super effective form of cardio for fat loss.

Hope that helps ;)

back extension strength exercises & fast walking really got rid of my muffin last year, unfortunatly IT'S BACK!! I ate so much this winter that the muffin has returned, but I've started going back to the gym, 4x a week, fast walking, lots of cardio and then strength exercises, I WILL GET RID OF MY MUFFIN, and when I do I'm going to treat myself to a fendi or a chanel bag - give your self a non-food treat when you reach your goal really helps, When I'm sick of going to the gym I just dream of the beatifull bags and get back on the tredmill! xxx good luck bag lovers! :smile:

flo said:
Thanks..I bought a lot of Pilates dvds and none helped at all.
I'll try this one...

You can always find a great deal on ebay for these videos too. The stott pilates method has helped me a lot! And if it doesn't work for you, you can always unload the dvds on ebay.

I guess side exercises would help? don't know much.. coz I myself continue to struggle with this but luckily for me, I am slowly improving myself.. more to improve I hope

I'm a size 4. i also have a muffin top which gets to be so emphasized when i wear low-rise jeans. i've learned to live with this becuase i hate to exercise. This remains to be my only problem area.

bettiney said:
I'm a size 4. i also have a muffin top which gets to be so emphasized when i wear low-rise jeans. i've learned to live with this becuase i hate to exercise. This remains to be my only problem area.

i feel your pain on that one!! i am a size 2 and jeans fit perfectly in the leg but i feel like i have to really stretch the waistband in order for them to not cut off my circulation. i have a trick where i put a little water on the waistband then put them on and really move around in the jeans.. it buys you some room, and some red marks around your waist :biggrin:

LACLES said:
i feel your pain on that one!! i am a size 2 and jeans fit perfectly in the leg but i feel like i have to really stretch the waistband in order for them to not cut off my circulation. i have a trick where i put a little water on the waistband then put them on and really move around in the jeans.. it buys you some room, and some red marks around your waist :biggrin:

me too! I am size 4 and I stay away from low rise..also I have massive stretch marks on that area...double whammy...
Thanks for the tip..since I usually go for mid-rise below the navel jeans ( thus reducing the muffin top, not eliminating all together tho:sad: )

So I went to the Stotts Pilates website to get some DVD but I don't know what to start with. I tried the winsor pilates but didn't like it. Those who tried it, what DVD did you start with ?

anitalilac said:
So I went to the Stotts Pilates website to get some DVD but I don't know what to start with. I tried the winsor pilates but didn't like it. Those who tried it, what DVD did you start with ?

Windsor Pilates IMO is nothing like Stott- Stott is much better, and much harder because Moira Stott really focusses on core strength and proper form (which is essential).

The best video for abs is "The Secret to Flat Abs." It just works. Then, you can do intermediate mat work video. They also have these new ball series videos that you buy with these two plastic balls- I have not bought the videos yet b/c my pilates instructor has been doing a lot of these exercises during our sessions. They are excellent! ANd they kill!

But my best recommendation is to get the Secret to Flat Abs. See if you like it, then buy more if you want. And if you don't like it for some reason, you can always sell stott videos/dvds on ebay- b/c there is a HUGE following! Let me know what you think!!!!

SXXY said:
DIET DIET DIET! The only way to lose excess fat around your mid-area is to change your diet! You can work out and sweat all you want, but if you are not putting the proper foods into your body... that little bit of fat will hang on for dear life.

- You want to elevate your metabolism. Your diet contributes to about two thirds of the weight loss, the rest involves: exercise, sufficient sleep, and decreasing stress levels (cortisol = fat storage in ugly places!)
- Eat more often, about 5-6 times a day, but SMALLER portions. Eat every 2-3 hours. This will raise your metabolism. If it helps, keep a food diary.
- Limit your carbohydrate intake, it is best not to eat starchy foods after 6-7pm. If you must, stick to whole grain, or rye, bread. Get the majority of your carbs through fruits & veggies though.
- Make sure you eat foods that are low in saturated and trans fat, and obtain enough good fat (omega 3 fatty acids - salmon oil supplements are excellent for this). Again, avoid eating late at night.
- Eat plenty of protein! Staples should be: chicken breast, tuna, salmon, turkey, egg whites, cottage cheese!
- Drink LOTS of water. To prevent water retention, drink more water and cut foods that are high in sodium! 2-3 litres a day is good, at first, you'll have to pee every 10 min. but after a few weeks your body will adjust, trust me!

Like someone already mentioned, you CANNOT spot reduce. Stick to a consistent and realistic exercise routine:

- CARDIOVASCULAR activity, 3-4 times a week for 30-45 minutes in duration. It's important not to overdo your cardio sessions as it will do more harm than good.
- If you really want to pump up your metabolism, do your cardio in the morning before breakfast on an empty stomach, and also incorporate resitance/weight training into your workout to increase flexibilty and build muscle. High intensity interval training (HIIT) is also a super effective form of cardio for fat loss.

Hope that helps ;)

Hey my trainer told me the EXACT same thing; what SXXY says work. but once or two times a week, i'll eat whatever I want. I also agree w/ the back extensions. For awhile, I stopped doing the lower back extensions because they're so hard to do :censor: Then I got a muffin.. It's gone now because i obsessively kept working out and more importantly eating right :P

Wow - thanks for all of those tips. Naturally I took the first easiest option which was to buy some magic undies (aka tummy band) - works a treat. Probably not such a great look coming up to summer so will have a look at the diet and some of those exercises.

SXXY said:

Hope that helps ;)

when u exercise in the morning, how long should u do it for it to be effective? lets say if you're running on the treadmill?