The Hermes quorum

I think it really depends on the SA you run into. For special orders, I was told my by SA that each SA only gets so many a year, I think it was 5, ...so you have to be on her mind for her to offer you a SO slot. As for being on a waitlist for whatever comes in, I don't see why it's so difficult, even if there is no list per say, she can keep you in mind and call you...but I think that is every SA has a personal list then it would create problems for the store, as every SA will want to service their clients.

Really comes down to exclusivity and creating a demand market...the harder it is the crazier we get and wanting it even more.

It all kind of makes me chuckle...it is like a game...I mean I understand the exclusivity/demand, but a smart SA would also realize a customer who comes in and purchases small ticket items (here we call them teasers or trinkets). The SA would realize the shopper is not really a serious shopper, but one who is trying to manipualte the SA to an extent.

I am saying this from experience with several close friends being SA's for high end designer boutiques. They all know what is going on when customers are trying to buy into them per say. They actually talk about the customers. (Please don't think I am tryig to cause problems here or please realize I don't want to offend anyone who is trying to build a relationship with an SA)

My friends say it is easy to see through all of this and soon enough you know as an SA what they are trying to get to you for.

That is why I was asking why the honest and direct approach does not really work. I just wanted to add some knowledge I have from the SA side of it all. Maybe it just really depends on each SA and their personality.

KellyB, You can always try. It helps tremendously that you already have a Kelly.
Hermes doesn't just want to sell you a Birkin. They want regular, steady, loyal customers. Because you already have the Kelly, I'd just go in a few times and purchase a few small items. Work with the same person every time.
It may de different at your store, you just have to feel it out. My store is right in the middle of the OC. Lots of movie stars, power and money. Everyone wants a Birkin.
It is really crazy how it works but that's just the way it is. :sad:
Go to Hermes ASAP and let us know what your feeling is!!

I think buying small items will help the SA to remember you... and maybe make you more comfortable in talking to her and expressing what you want. I never bought a bunch of stuff from my SA...I wasn't loyal to any one store...but she would call me and actually made an impression on me, so when I happened to be in her store, I asked about buying one.
Kellybag - I think everyone should start off by just asking and not waste money on trivial items...and if that doesn't work...then consider the alternative, or even trying another store and SA.

Greentea made good point, location is a factor...defintely call around... and if you really must want it NOW....a plane ticket to pick it up is a fraction of cost compared to the bag. HAHAHA...

What I'm telling you is what I've been told by more than one person (not on this board) who have done this successfully. I't not my invention! hehe - Each of these women now has a Birkin or two.
I'm not just going to purchase small items. I also want other H bags and wallets - these are big ticket teasers!! LOL!!
Happy, that's interesting about the order quota.

About 2 years ago when I was an Hermes fan but not ready to buy a Birkin or Kelly, a SA at my store commented that an Hermes was possibly going to be built in my city (hasn't happened yet.) The SA said something to the effect of "Maybe then you'll be able to develop a relationship with a SA easier than having to drive an hour here (SCP store) and you'll be able to get that Kelly."

The SA told me that developing a relationship with a SA is the way to go. THe SA knew I was serious and I saw that I already had one Hermes bag. But, at that point, didn't know me.

happy1 said:
Greentea made good point, location is a factor...defintely call around... and if you really must want it NOW....a plane ticket to pick it up is a fraction of cost compared to the bag. HAHAHA...
This is totally true!! I wish they'd sell Birkins over the phone. :sad:

La Van, from your experiences, it's much easier in some European cities. I'm ready to book a ticket!!

What about attittude? I never walk in a store thinking that they're doing my any favors by selling me a bag. In my mind set, they should be happy that I am a customer.

It is true with the buying of bags and wallets. Yesterday, when I bought my Kelly, the SA reminded me of my gold Birkin order. She even told her manager in front of me to remember the my order. My SA said that it is DEFINITELY going to come, maybe in Autumn, but she can't guarantee ... but that it is in their minds.

I think in Europe, you just have to go to a store and check if they might have some in stock. Today, I called Paris, Brussels, and Geneva and none have a Birkin. But they also all said that if I get a chance, pop by the store and I might be lucky and they might have one.

If anyone is interested, yesterday, there was JPG Birkin in combination denim/brown leather.

There was also an orange, souple, 32 cm Kelly, with palladium hardware (forgot the name of the leather though, but it's not togo, clemence taurillon, box, nor chevre).

Kellybag said:
Why do you have to go the route of purchasing things and coming in and out etc.

Is it wrong (or rude) to be kind to the SA and to be honest about what you would like to purchase? Why can't you do that?

KellyB,

Let me put it this way. Hermes is a business that is all about money & exclusivity. To them, the Birkin is an exclusive bag, a cash-cow, and they want to milk it for what it's worth. It is TRUE that Hermes doesn't just want to sell you a Birkin. They want regular, steady, loyal customers. This is why in most stores, one does not get put on a serious wait list for a Birkin unless there are documented purchases of some importance.

If you think about it, this is probably why there is a thriving market for Birkin resellers..and Hermes hates resellers because it takes away the exclusivity and the opportunities for them to cultivate loyal, regular customers.

Whenever I visit Hermes to make purchases (be it big or small), I do it because I genuinely appreciate Hermes products & I intend to build a long term relationship with the store. But I buy what I truly love & items that I'd use...not just to buy my way to a quick Birkin.

I hope I have not offended anyone in any way :smile:

Gigi, you actually mirrored my feelings eaxactly. I want to purchase things that I want and love. If I do not want to purchase little things at this time it is horrible to think that is the way I have to go. (but maybe it is ) I feel that in purchasing my Kelly years back it is one reason I love Hermes and I feel loyal to the brand. I also feel that is why I would love to own a Birkin.

I have no idea what the demand is like in my area and I am starting to become anxious over it. Almost as anxious as the opportunity to purchase the Birkin itself. The area I reside in I have seen only one Birkin carrier. (not many) However, my H is on Worth Avenue and we all know it is one of the richest and privileged areas. That is why I always think of holding off on my visit until after seaon. (all the snowbirds and foreigners are here for winter) It is so hot here in summer it gets very quite. (especially in Palm Beach) They must see very customers then...it looks like a ghost town.

happy1,I deep down feel the way you do. I am the customer and it has been drilled into my brain in my bussiness "customer is king". I don't like to feel that they are doing me the favor to see me a bag...they should be thanking me and really be excited to sell me a bag. (like the pop open the champagne and celebrate story)

Greentea, I feel for you living over there...there is always someone who has money ready to throw down big dollars. I suppose you need to work it. You really really appreciate that Birkin when it is in your hands.

To all of you, I appreciate your honesty and your experiences. Sometimes I really get down and then you hear a great story. I also feel you all have wonderful hearts and passions and you all never mean anything to be taken in a bad fashion.

Kelly and Gigi - You are absolutely right about buying things we love! That's exactly the same how I feel. I just love the craftmanship and leather of Hermes. Most scarves are wonderfully printed and they have so many different colors. The leather on the bags, belts and wallets are absolutely amazing. It's also nice how the design is so elegant ... it says "look at me" without having the brand name screaming at your face. Ok, many people might know the Birkin and Kelly design, but most of their goods are elegantly crafted, subtle and GORGEOUS!

From what I read on this Forum I think it is easier to get them in Europe than elsewhere. I live in Italy and in my personal experience I've never had to wait more than 6 months to get my bags. Also I think each Store has different policies depending on the country, over here you don't have to be known by a SA to be able to put your name down for a Birkin you give them your details and the color and leather you prefer and they call you when it arrives. It might help if you show yourself from time to time, just as if your passing by as a coincidence and want to say hello to your SA, HA HA!! Anyway, to all you ladies living outside Europe, when you make a trip over here I sincerely reccomend you go into as many Hermes stores as you possibly can and you might be lucky and find a Birkin waiting for you... When I ordered mine last January, the SA said they had a few Birkins but not in the color I wanted.