The healthy grocery list: a resource

1. **Other Mods: I'm posting this in H&F because it's related to working out, losing weight, healthy nutrition, etc. Feel free to move if you see fit**

If you're considering making your kitchen over - meaning, throwing away all the junk and processed crap that's hiding in your pantry, fridge and freezer, look no further! I did this almost 3 years ago, and haven't looked back since. Sometimes I need a refresher course, I'll admit it. Today, I actually went through my pantry and threw out boxes of wheat thins, crackers, low fat gingersnaps, and other boxed junk that I fooled myself into thinking was "healthy". I went to the grocery store and filled my cart with (mostly!) natural, whole, filling good-for-you foods.

Many ladies here have been asking about effective exercises, weight training, how much to eat, what to eat, when to eat it. There are two parts to a healthy lifestyle - nutrition and exercise. They go hand in hand, partners in life. Okay, sorry for the cheesiness.

Next time you hit the grocery store with the goal of buying healthier foods in mind, think about this. Try shopping on the outside perimeter of the aisles. That is where you'll find the foods you should be eating. The dairy, produce and meats/seafood sections are usually on the "outer rim" of the grocery store - well, at least they are at my Publix.

I'd like to start a list of healthy foods, mostly ones that I buy when I grocery shop. Please feel free to contribute! I'll admit that I get bored of egg whites every now and then, and I'm always looking for something different to try.

Veggies
    bagged lettuce mixes
    mushrooms
    onions
    grape tomatoes
    julienne carrots
    black olives

Fruits
    blueberries
    raspberries
    cantaloupe (yum!)
    peaches
    apples

Lean Meats and Seafood
    extra lean ground turkey (expensive, but worth the $$$)
    tilapia fillets
    salmon fillets (awesome source of omega-3s)
    thin deli-sliced turkey
    pre-cooked, grilled chicken chunks (GREAT for salads)
    white albacore tuna in water

Breads/Tortillas/Grains
    whole grain or 100% wheat bread
    whole wheat, low carb tortillas
    low-sugar cinnamon oatmeal

Frozen Meals
    Amy's organic spinach feta pita pocket
    Amy's organic non-dairy burrito
    Amy's organic stuffed pasta shells bowl
    South Beach Diet meal

Eggs and Dairy
    skim milk
    cabot low fat cheddar cheese
    low fat string cheese (good for snacking)
    vanilla fat free yogurt
    peach fat free yogurt
    egg beaters egg whites in the carton

Etc.
    creamy natural peanut butter (read: no hydrogenated oils! Jif doesn't count)
    lightly salted mixed nuts
    110-calorie pria bars
    south beach diet high-protein cereal bars
    chopped walnuts
    low-sodium taco seasoning (for turkey meatballs or turkey tacos)

Other things you should add to your list...

extra virgin olive oil for cooking instead of vegetable oil
    low-fat mayo instead of regular, or better yet, use mustard instead!
    pam spray for non-stick coating for baking and cooking, instead of butter
    spices, spices, spices! No need for a creamy, high-calorie and fat sauce to add flavor to a dish. You can get awesome flavor from spices such as montreal steak seasoning, Everglades seasoning, adobo, garlic salt, oregano, basil, etc.

2. This is great :biggrin:

Thank you for posting that :smile: Good to know that many of the items on that list are already in my kitchen. Except for the creamy PB :sad: I've got Skippy Super Chung because it's soooo gooooooooooooooooood!

3. Thanks, Cristina, I never know what to get at the grocery store! I just come out with Diet Coke and cat litter! I'll keep this list handy, thank you for taking the time to post it.

4. Cool! Thanks for the list!

5. :yes: Great post! I'd like to add to the list:

Veggies:
    Spinach (I love it in a spinach and green bell pepper omelette)
    Brocolli (Great in a stir-fry)
    Eggplant
    Zucchini
    Romaine lettuce

Fruit:
    Oranges (Great source of vitamin C)
    Cranberries (Opt for organic if you can, berries are highly treated with pesitcides)
    Pears (My fav is the asian pair)

Lean meats and seafood:
    Chicken Breasts
    **Ground Turkey - Costco sells a pack of 4lbs for around $3 dollars! My BF and I pick one up every couple weeks and just freeze them.
    **Salmon Filets - If you can, buy Wild Alaskan Salmon and not the "Atlantic" because most "Atlantic" Salmon is farmed. The Wild Salmon has more of the healthy Omega-3 fats.
    **Deli sliced meats - Avoid anything that has nitrates or phosphates.

Breads/Tortillas/Grains:
    Brown rice - Be sure that it has at least 3 grams of fiber
    **In terms of buying breads, rice, pasta's, etc. a good rule of thumb I follow is to make sure the product has at least 3 grams of fiber per serving.

Eggs and Dairy:
    Soy milk (this maybe a preferred taste, but I enjoy the Silk light, chocolate one)

Misc:
    Garlic & Onions :graucho: - I put them in almost everything.
    Jelly's and Jams - Look for those that do not have any sugar added or high-fructose corn syrup. I currently have a strawberry jam and the only ingredient is organic strawberries.
    Concord Grape Juice - Again look for those that do not contain added sweetners.
    Beans - Not refried! They are a great addition to a salad, soup, etc and they are a wonderful source of protein.

6. I buy a ton of frozen veggies, so it keeps me from throwing as much out. Also, when I have a craving, I can just throw them on the stove instead of doing the prep. They really are the next best thing to fresh veggies. In fact, I had cauliflower and broccoli last night after I made some vegetable soup....LOL I ate the rest of the bag for dinner!:nuts: I agree with the "outside areas of the supermarket. Less additives in that stuff. (though I am guilty of buing tortilla chips all the time, since chips and salsa is one of my faves, the lays baked are great since it is just corn and salt)

7. Thanks for the feedback, guys, and thank you Blue_Butterfly for adding so many awesome foods to the list! :nuts: I completely forgot about spinach, and I had a ton of it at Whole Foods today - went to lunch at the cafe and made a huge, fresh salad.

djgirl - Thanks for the reminder about frozen veggies. I buy them all the time, I picked up some peas with pearl onions, lima beans, shoepeg white corn and sugar snap peas yesterday :heart:

More Stuff!

Beans/Legumes
    chickpeas (!!!!)
    black beans
    kidney beans

More Frozen Foods (great to take to work, or if you need a meal in a pinch)*
    Boca Burger chik'n patties
    Boca Burger soy burgers (yes, they are good!)
    Morningstar Farms chik'n nuggets
    frozen fruits, such as blueberries, raspberries and peaches - great for protein shakes and smoothies
    *The best thing to do is make healthy meals yourself, but these will work if you're time-crunched or make for easy work lunches

More Seafood
    frozen baby shrimp (great for quesadillas and additions to egg white omelets)

More Low-Fat Dairy
    low-fat cottage cheese
    low-fat sour cream
    feta or goat cheese

I just picked up Oxygen Magazine's Clean Eating guide at Barnes & Noble, so I'm sure I'll be listing more foods :wlae:

8. I'm a big chips and salsa fan too:yes: ! With the chips, I buy 100% yellow corn and I check the ingredients to make sure that there are only a couple ingredients. They usually are stone ground yellow corn & salt. My favorite salsa of all-time is from Costco (can you tell I shop there often) and it comes in a pretty good size container. All natural ingredients! So I don't feel too guilty when I indulge. ;)

9. SuperFoods RX

I found these books a very good resource as well. I've read quite a few health books and these were the easiest and most enjoyable reads...IMO.

Superfoods RX was the first book and very informational. Superfoods Health Style, seemed to be catered more towards an older crowd. Although, it's never too early to start eating healthy!

10. thanks for the resources!!!

I would just like to add LENTILS to the list. They are increidbly healthy and great in just about anything.

11. Cristina, how do you fix tilapia? I'm always looking for good (and healthy) ways to do fish. Your lists are great!

12. Hi Tammy :nuts:

Tilapia is an easy-to-cook, versatile fish. I favor a couple of tilapia recipes. Both involve sticking the fish in the oven for 15-20 minutes. These are all for single servings, just FYI.

mediterranean tilapia (works awesome with chicken, too!)

tilapia fillet
    grape tomatoes, halved
    black olives, pitted and sliced (you can buy these canned)
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
    1/4 tsp thyme
    1/2 tsp basil
    salt and pepper, to taste
    garlic salt, just to add a bit in there

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking pan with Pam nonstick cooking spray. Mix together olive oil, oregano, thyme, basil, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Spread mixture over fish, coating top of fillet. Throw tomato halves and black olives on top. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and serve. The tomatoes and olives cook sooo well in this recipe and provide tons of flavor for the fish.

adobo tilapia

tilapia fillet
    1.5 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp coarse salt, like sea salt
    1/4 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp brown sugar

Preheat oven to 375. Spray a baking pan with Pam nonstick cooking spray. Mix dry ingredients together and sprinkle over fish (feel free to add a few drops of olive oil so the fish doesn't dry out). Place fish on baking sheet, bake for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and serve.

Hope this helps :nuts:

13. Yum! Thanks, Cristina! I'm printing these out to try.

14. This is a great list, thanks Christina! Ladies, don't forget you not only have to buy these items, ya gotta eat them too!!:yes:

15. love this thread! thanks for starting it!