The Germiest Places in America...your handbag

1. Sort of interesting...from Health Magazine

http://www.health.com/health/article/0,23414,1674348,00.html

7. Your handbag
    Your Marc Jacobs? Dirty? Yep. Think petri dish. When University of Arizona professor of environmental microbiology Charles Gerba, PhD, and his team tested women’s purses not long ago, they found that most had tens of thousands of bacteria on the bottom and a few were overrun with millions. Another study found bugs like pseudo-monas (which can cause eye infections), and skin-infection-causing staphylococcus bacteria, as well as salmonella and E. coli. Your makeup case is every bit as bad, as are your guy’s wallet and personal digital assistant.
    Reduce the risk: Instead of slinging your bag on the floor, hang it on a hook whenever you can—especially in public bathrooms—and keep your bag off the kitchen counter. Stick with leather or vinyl purses, which are typically cleaner than cloth (less-porous surfaces are more impervious to germs). And wipe your bag down every few days with a mild soap or disinfectant, then let it air dry. Brand name, alas, makes no difference.

2. whos bad suggestion was it to wipe down designer leather bags with some soap or disinfectant!!!

i mean ew i am sure they are right but still im not taking soap to the bottom of any of my babies!!!

i would say each one has touched a dirty bathroom floor MAYBE once in a desperate situation but generally i wouldnt ever want to put my bag down on a floor like that anywhere
    ick! :smile:
    thanks for the info tho haha

3. Oprah did a similar segment on her show, although public bathroom floors are gross I guess there are other surfaces that are gross too!

While the author seems to know a lot about germs, I doubt she's a bag freak like us. Otherwise she would not recommend wiping them down, nor would she make the idiotic statement about brand name making a difference (I'm sure it was supposed to be funny, but it just makes me roll my eyes :smash: