The Ebay Rant Thread

Hi fongchau!

Buyers don't have to pay more than the £4, even if more is stated in the listing - that's against ebay rules. The only way around it is for the seller to add the excess into the price of the item as you really don't want to be posting without insurance.

this happened to be today
i have and item listed at $250 buy it now
Someone messages me and asks me if i would take $150 since I had it listed for 2 months (only about $1 in listing fees so its not really costing me a lot to list)
Considering its a designer wallet and its no longer made and its a full size wallet not a little one and the only 2 other authentic ones are listed at $1500 obo (the other two are in new condition but mine isn't horrible beaten down and damaged, it is in good working condition) I was offended!
There is a fake on listed for BIN $120! What made them think I would sell the authentic one for $150!
grrrrrr

How do you do that? We have a collectors edition book and Ebay will only let us charge 4.00 as well. And that doesn't allow for insurance. I'm interested in learning.

For the UK site you can "add additional postage options."

When I sell bags, I normally do £4 for second calss recorded delivery, then depending on the weight and size £8-£10 for Special next day delivery and if I'm sending abroad, I'll also put a postage option for that.

Ebay is a pain for postage now, but I would NEVER send something without some kind of tracking/insurance as it favours seller so much.

Please forgive an extreme newbie - I know this is for rants, so I'll be a little OT here.............

I love when you put a reserve, tell what the reserve is, and people still bid under the reserve..... people amaze me.

Is it considered bad etiquette to *ask* what the reserve is? I have made bids (I almost always auto bid at the beginning) that I *know* are too low, but I'm not going to put a bid of $100 in on an auction currently sitting at $9.99. Also, if I see something that has 0 bids and is nearing the end of the auction, is it bad to ask what the reserve is - confirming that if it was within my price range, I would BIN and pay immediately?

lol I'm never insulted by a low-ball offer like that from a store or Ebay. Business is business, as I advised once on this forum, I don't think anybody really means to offend. It's probably just a "Oh what the hell, I'll see if she takes my offer" kind of thing.

I know I never mean to offend - I always point out that I am new and just learning what the prices *should* be!

I don't even correspond when someone tries to offer a lowball offer. Not worth my time.

See above - I try to be friendly with these offers, not meaning to offend anyone. A kind word that I was offering $100 on a $700 bag would go along way toward good will to the seller.

this happened to be today
i have and item listed at $250 buy it now
Someone messages me and asks me if i would take $150 since I had it listed for 2 months (only about $1 in listing fees so its not really costing me a lot to list)
Considering its a designer wallet and its no longer made and its a full size wallet not a little one and the only 2 other authentic ones are listed at $1500 obo (the other two are in new condition but mine isn't horrible beaten down and damaged, it is in good working condition) I was offended!
There is a fake on listed for BIN $120! What made them think I would sell the authentic one for $150!
grrrrrr

Because they can't tell it's authentic! I treat my sellers the way I want to be treated..............I had no idea that making offers could be considered offensive. My thinking was that if an item didn't sell at the starting bid price, a lower offer may be accepted. It honestly never occurred to me that making an offer of, say $150 for an item that didn't have one bid at the starting price of $175 would be offensive.

I'll be much more careful when making offers in the future - thank you all so much for opening my eyes. I am a buyer, not a seller, but read this thread for what *NOT* to do..........and you fellow bag lovers really came through with some awesome tips - I'm sure my sellers will appreciate my new education!