the dreaded pacifier- how can I make it go away?

1. I need some help/strategies on how to break my son of his pacifier habit. He only uses it to fall asleep at night and then spits it right out, but I'd rather he not use it all. I'd take them away and go cold turkey (it worked with his bottles with no fuss, he only asked for one once and then seemed to forget about them completely by the next day), but he dearly loves his "binty" (as he calls it) and he is not a good sleeper to begin with. He has just started sleeping consistently through the night and he is 2!

Any advice/tips?
  2. If he only takes it at bedtime and spits it out upon falling asleep, I guess I really don't see the harm. He cannot even be damaging his teeth because he doesn't have it in long enough. For something so simple that gives a child so much comfort, I just think it is unnecessary to take it away at this point.

If you can wait it out for a little while longer, you can do the "Nuk Fairy" and leave the paci in a basket on the front porch (or on the dining room table, or wherever is convenient for you) in return for a small prize or toy. That way he would be cooperating in getting rid of it and would understand it was gone forever.

Otherwise, you could try "losing" it. Just tuck them all away and when it comes time for bed tell him that you cannot find it. Let him help you look for it so he understands that you don't know where it is. Then ask him if he can go to sleep just this once with no paci and you will help him look more in the morning. If he responds favorably to that and doesn't pitch a fit, just do the same for several more nights until you both decide that it is gone.

Good luck, but I really don't think there is any reason to force the issue. No one else sees him with it and he doesn't keep it in all night. I can tell you that if I had a non-addictive, legal means of putting me to sleep easily every night no one would dare take it away from me!
  3. Supernanny does this thing where she asks the child to donate all the pacifiers to all the babies who need them. Then they gather them up, put them in a bag and leave them somewhere overnight.

The next morning, the pacifiers are gone and there's a surprise.
  4. thank you so much. I wasn't sure if it was bad for him to still have it or not. I like your idea of letting him have it for a little while longer and then waiting until he can understand the "nuk fairy" concept.

The first time mommy jitters get me sometimes...........

thanks again!
  5. ITA w/ HauteMama!:yes:

When you do decide to take it away, if he doesn't seem receptive to giving them away, just prick a tiny hole in it, it'll deflate and he won't want it anymore ;)
  6. Cold turkey. my children never had a pacifier, but whatever they were accustomed to (like bottle) that's what i did. worked well once they stopped crying.
  7. If he's only using it for a few minutes when he goes to sleep, then I don't see much harm in him using it. My grandfathers dog actually ate/hid (we don't know what happened to it) my passy when I was around 2 and after that I never used one again. My mom had me quit cold turkey.

I agree with what Caitlin said. I've seen this done a few times on Supernanny and it seems to work pretty well.
  8. Love the super nanny technique for older kids. Only my middle son had one, we did the cold turkey thing just before 1 year old (they time doctors say it becomes a emotional crutch, instead of physical sucking need).