The Coach You Buy Vs. The Coach You Carry...

1. I wonder if anyone else is afflicted in this manner the way I seem to be...

I'm attracted to satchels and beautiful Coach bags like a moth to a lamp light. But when it comes to my real life, I KNOW I need to carry a shoulder bag or something with a crossbody strap as I am often out in public with more small children than is often deemed appropriate or even sane. :nuts:

Still, when I go into Coach, I'm drawn to those beautiful Hamptons Carryalls--the ones that don't really fit over the shoulder--those gorgeous, but often heavy Legacy bags that sometimes cause my shoulder muscles to mutter in pain--and yet, I'll buy them.

Sometimes, when my head prevails and I come to my senses, these bags will go back to the store.

So, the question is this:

Do you find yourself often buying a style that just doesn't seem like it really works FOR YOU in real life? Or do you find yourself buying a style that is more pretty than practical?:confused1:

2. Yes! I do the same thing except it seems to be the opposite for me. I'm drawn to bags that are unique like the ergo scarf hippie or the magenta duffle yet they are not fitting into my lifestyle. The hippie is just not me, I'm just not a crossbody kind of gal and the duffle is just too hard for me to get in and out of easily.

I've avoided the Hampton's line because I had decided that they were too grandma looking but I recently bought a couple of Hampton's bags and have fallen in love with them! They are so easy to carry for me, I can get in and out so easily and all my stuff stays put! I don't have small children any longer though so perhaps that's why I'm enjoying the satchel now as opposed to the shoulder bag?

I'm liking my hobos too because of how comfortable they are on my shoulder. The duffles, crossbodies, shoulder bags... those are just not working for me. In spite of this, I still find myself drawn to bags that are just not good for me. Grrr!

3. 3 or 4 times I went into the outlet and held onto the Pond Legacy Satchel because she was sooooooooooo pretty :love:

I knew it wasn't practical for me - too heavy, etc. But I just kept going back to it. I finally decided to buy it the last time, but saw it was dirty & the only pond one left so I saved myself a probable return lol.

I went through the same thing with Carly. The medium was too small for me, but I knew the large would probably be too heavy. But I still bought it (and returned it). I was so caught up in how great she looked on everyone, but she's just not practical for me. I may get the slim in the future if they ditch the patent straps (kept sliding off me). At the time I was still tempted to get it because it was pretty. Ugh :shame:

I'm finally starting to think with my head & not my :heart:

I am returning a bag this weekend I kept just because I "wanted legacy leather" but I finally realized today I probably won't use it very much (especially since I already have it in sig) so I'm hoping to exchange it for something more practical instead.

Anyway, the cliff notes answer is YES :lol:

4. I buy all kinds, arm bags, shoulder bags and crossbody bags. But I'm most drawn to bags that are hard to care for (ie. embossed suede, etc) or of unique materials and not practical for everyday use. For instance, I just did a charge/send for the Hamptons Tattersall Suede Satchel (it's on its way via Fed-Ex). I've been eyeing this bag for a long time and thought it was gone for good till I found an Outlet that carried it. And I HAD to have it because of the Tattersall exterior. But I know darn well that I won't be using it much due to it being not only light in color but its suede material. I try my best to just stick to the "practical" bags but the "special" or impractical ones win out, too!! It'd probably save me more $$ if I'd just buy 1 type!

5. There are quite a few bags that I appreciate looking at but I don't actually buy them because I don't think they would work well for me. I especially need a good drop size, 10 inches at least, I like to have my hands free. So I guess my answer would be, I wouldn't' buy a bag that I don't feel comfortable with using on a regular basis but I sure do admire them on others. :smile:

Linda

6. been there, done that! LOL...yep! I'm guilty! I have a 7 year old and 3 year old so I NEED to have a bag that allows me to be hands-free so I can hold the little guys' hands while out....BUT...deep inside I SO WANT to be a satchel girl! :tender: I've bought so many bags based on their "pretty factor" rather than "practical factor".....only to return. I now dream about bags with drop lengths shorter than 8in.. but in reality I've got to have a mom shoulder bag! One day I'll be a satchel girl!:girlsigh::queen: Right now I'm drooling over the medium Lily in camel. Oh how I LOVE that bag! Now...is it practical for a mom like me, no way! LOL.....

7. I rotate so much, I never really have a problem. I do tend to prefer slouchy one strap arm bags, but have been carrying my Hamptons Book Tote today...and tomorrow...then I'll bring the LVs into rotation for a bit.

8. tejasmama--I could have written this post! I am exactly like you...drawn to structured, crook of the arm/handheld pieces. Just got my first LV--an alma and it is NOT practical with 2 young boys. I do think the lg bleeker flap, though, is perfect (wasn't automatically "drawn" to it, but tried it on & it was so comfy) for moms. I also love my legacy hippie flap for a crossbody. I'm saving up for Hermes and keep going back & forth between a Lindy & a Kelly (what I will use vs. what I love).

9. I'll probably very rarely carry the Madison clutch I got on eBay but I had to get her. She's SO pretty :love: The rest of what I have I rotate between except for the scarf hippie but HAD to have her too :love::angel:

10. Yes I do this too. :rolleyes: Like said before I love the look of the satchels, have even bought one once or twice only to sell them for a more practical shoulder bag.. and the legacy satchel I knew was not terribly practical for me.. heavy and a satchel, and yet I bought it anyway.. and ended up returning it a week later... :nuts: typical me.. and the Carly medium/large thing?! Don't even get me started.... :roflmfao: Been there, done that.. a million times!!! ;)

11. So, the question is this:

Do you find yourself often buying a style that just doesn't seem like it really works FOR YOU in real life? Or do you find yourself buying a style that is more pretty than practical?:confused1:[/quote]

I don't ever find myself buying a style that is more pretty than practical. I have four Bleeker Duffles (bottle green, magenta, canary and rose), I find the style both pretty
    and practical for me. I carry my Ali's, Mandy's and Ergos - rotating between everything
    so this is no problem. I find my clay Gigi both lovely and functional. I guess I am not drawn to satchels as I am truly a shoulder bag kind of gal. I do like the Madeline though
    and I might just get one if they make it in a color that I like. The Carly bag for me is both lovely in design and practical. Unfortunately for me Coach has not made it in a color that I want (saddle,whiskey)with chocolate brown trim.

12. Yes ! I am very drawn to satchels and hope to get a really cute girly one some day but always end up with shoulder bags because they just fit into my lifestyle with kids and stuff. I love the bags I have and it is not like I am "setteling" because I would never just buy them for their practicality alone, however, I am lusting for a Grass madeline, that bag is so dreamy to me or a khaki and black signature legacy satchel. I don't know if it will ever happen though.

13. :yes::roflmfao:

14. I don't ever find myself buying a style that is more pretty than practical. I have four Bleeker Duffles (bottle green, magenta, canary and rose), I find the style both pretty
    and practical for me. I carry my Ali's, Mandy's and Ergos - rotating between everything
    so this is no problem. I find my clay Gigi both lovely and functional. I guess I am not drawn to satchels as I am truly a shoulder bag kind of gal. I do like the Madeline though
    and I might just get one if they make it in a color that I like. The Carly bag for me is both lovely in design and practical. Unfortunately for me Coach has not made it in a color that I want (saddle,whiskey)with chocolate brown trim.[/QUOTE]
    You must be my twin, LizCordova, because we have a lot of the same bags. :tup: I completely agree about the Carly!! I also have the Bleecker duffles too, but I have the british tan instead of the canary duffle, but I'm about to get the canary color too. Ditto on your other duffle colors, though, and Alis, and Mandys. Also ditto on the clay Gigi. I do however, like satchels, and as long as they fit on my shoulder, I'm ok...but definitely prefer the shoulder bags. I also like large bags.

I did sell my ergo tote because I just didn't like it, but have an ergo hobo that I like.

I don't think I'm always a very practical person in regard to handbags, but I will put up with carrying the ones that are not practical for me because I do an almost daily rotation anyway. I do love these Bleecker duffles, especially the colors, but I have to say I don't like getting in to them. I also wish the strap were a bit shorter for shoulder purposes and longer for Xbody too. My favorite bags are actually my Abbeys, and they carry and sit the best of any of my bags. But even with them, the flap can be annoying, as can the Ali. Still I prefer that to zippers, though!

I guess I have to say I can find something that I like about all of the Coach bags I have, but many of them I admit I purchased more or less because I like the look (and I had to have the bag). I will put up with almost anything if I like the look of the bag.:smile:

15. I am TOTALLY afflicted by this. I'm drawn to a bag because of how it looks. Period. Then I want it even if it is not practical at all. With my kids/sports, shoulder bags and totes worn on the shoulder are much more practical. Of course I just bought a Miranda (huge handbag), a Lily (heavy), a resort woven clutch (tiny) and a Bridget (tiny). The good news is I carry these non-practical bags less, they stay new looking and I really enjoy carrying them!!! I've got some nice Ali and Bleecker everyday bags too!