The Best Singer That Ever Lived "Um Kulthoum"

1. [​IMG]
    Info About her on wiki
    I really admire her.. She has the best voice.. When she died over 4 million people attended her funeral. Here's some interesting info, when she sang live, they had to put the microphone 3 feet away from her since her voice was so strong.. When my mom told me she died in the 70's i was so sad:crybaby:
    Vid on you tube

She had been referred to as "The Lady" by Charles De Gaulle, and is regarded as "The Incomparable Voice" by Maria Callas. Umm Kulthum has been a significant influence on a number of musicians, both in the Arab world and beyond. Among others, Jah Wobble has claimed her as a significant influence on his work. Bob Dylan, Maria Callas, Nico, Bono and Led Zeppelin are also known to be admirers of Kulthum's music. One of her best known songs, Enta Omri, has been the basis of many reinterpretations, including one 2005 collaborative project involving Israeli and Egyptian artists.
    Umm Kulthum is remembered in the Arab world as one of the greatest singers and musicians who have ever lived. It is hard to accurately measure her vocal range at its peak, since most of her songs are recorded live, and she was aware not to strain her voice too much due to the extended rendition of her songs. It is known that she had the ability to sing as low as the second octave, as well as the ability to sing as high as between the seventh and the eighth octave at her vocal peak; yet she also could easily sing over a range surpassing two octaves near the end of her career. Her unparalleled vocal strength, and her mastery of singing the Arabic maqamat, arguably make her the most incomparable voice of all time. Even today, she has retained a near mythical status amongst young Arabs. She is also notably popular in Israel among Jews and Arabs alike, and her records continue to sell around a million records a year.
  2. definitely the best singer ever, but very hard to listen to when you don't speak arabic. I don't speak yet but I am hoping to do so soon after I moved, and then can enjoy her music more.
  3. Agreed.. she was the best singer ever!
  4. I don't speak Arabic, but I love her music! It is so moving--you don't need to understand the words to understand what she is saying.
  5. shes amazing, I loooooooove arabic music. Do you like Raghab Alama ?
  6. Do you speak arabic... reghab alama is awsome.. my sister hugged him when she was like 4.. lol she gave him flowers on stage... this was along time ago
  7. I only understand a little bit, but i love her voice... if you listen to her lyrics it just amazing.. they have translations of what she says... People paid 1000's just to see her live...
  8. no I dont speak Arabic :sad: but I looooove the music, Im a huge fan of foreign music :p
  9. ^ i love ragheb alama, my dad sat with him on the plane once going to beirut!!

as for um kalthoom shes a LEGEND!