The best recipe for Cabbage Soup?

1. I'm looking to make a good cabbage soup. Not really for dietary purposes, but because I love cabbage and it just sounds like a good idea for a dark, cold, rainy Sunday.

Anyone got anything good?
  2. I know you wanted it yesterday, sorry... but if your weather is like ours - dreary, freezing rain, just yucky! you may still want to whip some of this up for today! Enjoy!
    2 lbs ground beef
    2 large onions chopped
    brown the above and drain well
    Add the above to:
    3 lbs of cabbage chopped
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    14 oz can of beef broth
    2 large cans tomato sauce
    1 large can of diced tomatoes
    2 large cans of water
    1/2 - 3/4 cup of white rice

Bring all to a boil then simmer until rice and cabbage are done.
    You can also use ground italian suasage if you want a little spicier
  3. ^ I can't tolerate sugar :s - but it sounds AWESOME!

I did this, and it came out pretty well! I concocted it myself after reading numerous recipes on the net, I decided to just wing it!

(posted this to my LJ):

My Cabbage Soup

What you need:

1/4 green cabbage (my cabbage weighed 4 lbs - so I used 1 pound of cabbage)
    1 spanish onion, chopped
    1 red pepper, chopped
    1 green pepper, chopped
    1 can Diced Tomatoes
    4 celery stalks, chopped
    1 Package Lipton Onion Soup Mix
    1 Cube of vegetable broth
    Salt, pepper to taste
    Extra spices I use: parsley, garlic salt, and curry powder
    1 box brown rice

What to do:

Cut vegetables into small pieces and cover with water.
    Boil fast for 10 minutes. Reduce to simmer and continue cooking until vegetables are tender. Add soup mix and bouillon cube and stir. Season to taste with salt, pepper, parsley, etc. I use about a handful fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley and about 1 tsp of curry powder. Then I use garlic salt, salt, and pepper to taste. Cook the rice according to the box. Once the soup is fully cooked and the rice is cooked add the rice to the soup pot and stir around. Enjoy!
  4. ^^that sounds yummy! You're making me crave cabbage!
  5. That sounds good! I heard cabage soup makes you lose weight, which I really need to do but I'm too dang lazy. It also cleanses the system. Has anyone lost weight the natural way on the cabbage soup diet w/ exercise?
  6. ^ I've lost weight on the cabbage soup diet, but I substituted it into my diet rather than it being the main staple. I had it instead of snacks (chocolate bars, chips, half a sandwich, etc.) and sometimes as half a meal. It worked well because instead of being a flash diet where I gained the weight back afterwards, I lost a 2-4 pounds a week and kept it off. It's now about 1.5 years and I've gained back about 10 pounds (but I think that's more to lifestyle change now than a bad initial diet)