The Ashley Treatment

1. There's an article about it in this week's People Magazine.

Girl, Interruped. A family's decision to keep their disabled 9-year-old daughter child-size forever sparks a debate: Are they cruel or courageous?

This is a link to her parents' blog.
    The "Ashley Treatment"

Ashley Treatment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, the idea sounds creepy and unnatural at first, but after reading the article, the blog and the Wikipedia article, I think her parents' only goal is to keep her comfortable. She has the mind of a child. She's never going to be able to get out of bed. She's going to have to fully rely on her wheelchair.

Both the doctors and the parents made it clear that it's not the ideal solution for every disabled person. They made it clear that the Ashley Treatment is not meant as a convenience to them, but to her.

I'm interested to hear what other people think about this.

2. I read this story, and the parents blog.

I agree that although unconventional the treatment the parents have sought out truly is in the best interest of their daughter, and is the best course of action given the unique circumstances of her disability.

3. i've never heard of that...hmm not sure what to think...i'll have to take some time on this one...

4. The great thing about the wikipedia article is that it lists the pros and cons about this.

5. I'm just not a fan of anything like this, and I need to leave it at that :smile:

6. I don't know what I would do if I were in Ashley's parents' place. All I can say is that Ashley's life seems sad.

7. i just don't know. i mean, i can see what her parents are trying to do- but, at the same time, it's seem so wrong...

8. Wow. My heart bleeds for her parents. I don't know what I'd do; how I'd cope in this situation.

9. While at first glance, Its not something I think I would do, I also am not going to make any judgements as I thank god its not a decision I have to make.

10. It seems like the estrogen therapy might be a little dangerous.

But I really do think that it's a good idea to remove the non-essential organs (appendectamy, hysterectomy, mascectomy, etc.) for several reasons.

First, it will lower her risks for cancers, but also, I would worry that she wouldn't be able to articulate pain or discomfort if a dangerous problem were to develop. She couldn't, for example, report the pain of appendicitis, or of ovarian cysts...so those problems might go undetected and get really serious.

Obviously, she can't report pain in her heart or lungs either...but she absolutely needs those organs to stay alive.

I think it's the decision I would want others to make for me if I could not think for myself -- it just seems like it will keep her the most comfortable and healthy in the long run. But it would certainly be awful to be in that situation as a parent...

11. From the Wikipedia article:

They also believe that without developing secondary sexual characteristics, Ashley will be less vulnerable to sexual abuse.

I would think the situation would be quite the contrary when dealing with a pedophile. The less developed she is, the more such a person would find her an appealing victim. It seems like a rather flimsy excuse for preventing her from growing as normal. However, it's not my place to judge. I am not the one who has take care of an impaired child.

12. I agree with everything you said.

I honestly wouldn't know what to do in a situation like that and I thank God I'm not in a situation like that. My heart goes out to her parents for having to make a decision like that in the first place.

I could see how people would have problems with what her parents are doing.

I'm watching Nancy Grace right now, and this whole thing is being discussed. The phrase "carving her up" was used and I think that's too harsh.

13. Personally I think it's none of my business. Or anyone else's, except for the parents and the doctors.

14. Good point, But I think that because it was such an unorthodox procedure, people made it their business.

15. It's so sad. Aren't we glad we don't have to make these decisions.