The Age Of Consent

1. I'm sure the laws vary from state to state, consent ages ranges from 16 to 18. and differ in other countries.( Ireland i believe is 17 & Japan 13 ) In my country ( England) it is 16, my Mother thinks it should be 18. Personally i think it should be definitely higher.

Should the age on consent be lowered or made higher ? or simply Abolished ?

2. Do you mean you think it should definately be higher than it is in the UK (16)? Or higher than what your mother thinks (18)?

Personally I think 16 is fine but sex ed in the West is severely lacking. Especially in terms of the emotional change it brings.
    I'm thinking of countries like Germany where in teen girls magazines they'll profile couple as young as 13. Yet it has one of the lowest rates of teen pregnancy.

And whilst I admit I am a bit prudish I really admire the way they've disconnected their bodies from being sexualised 24/7. Here a girl gets her clothes (or even part of her clothes) off suddenly there's new connotations. There you can wander round naked in local parks and it's just seen as a natural thing to do.

3. We are definately lacking in sex ed here in the US.

My boyfriend went to private school all his life and they never taught it, can you imagine? An all-boys school without sex ed?

I think that hiding sex makes it much more appealing, if we teach our children, then they can make the right, informed decision.

Personally, I don't think you are ready for sex if you are under 18, I waited, but I know many women who had sex much younger then 18, so I'm going to say I think the age of consent should be 16.

4. [​IMG]

I found this t-shirt at tshirthell.com. (I used it in my Funny T-Shirts thread).

I find it hard to believe kids are mature enough to make an informed decision about sex at age 13 or 14. I'm not even sure it should be 16, although I'm not in a position to judge other people's sex lives.

5. I guess the age of consent in my state is really determined by the statutory rape statute. Anyone under 16 is not seen as being capable of granting consent. Of course the offender must be 16 or older and at least 2 years older than the victim for statutory rape to apply (acceptions are made for two people under the age of 16 and those who are separated by less than two years of age).

As far as whether it should exist? Yes, I believe it should. By far the largest number of rape victims in our state are 13, 14, 15, and 16 year olds, which comprise over 50% of rape victims in the state! There are more teenaged rape victims under 16 than victims in college, their 20's, their late teens, etc... As these young women are already at risk, the statutory rape laws are in place to help minimize further risk.

I compile crime stats for a living, btw. ;)

6. I would say 18 should be the age of legal consent, but that's just my opinion. I think on average in the US girls are starting out much younger than that.

7. 18 for me. But that's just my opinion.

8. In California, it's 18, but I think as long as someone feels like they are ready then there shouldn't be a problem. The issue is teaching teenagers about sex so they full underestand the emotional, physical, and psychological effects of having sex. I'm not saying there shouldn't be a law, but I think there a few situations that aren't fair to anyone involved.

9. Yeah, I believe 16 is a tad young, but if they're taught to be careful about sex, then I believe a 16 year old can be ready for sex.

I still believe 13 and 14 year olds are still considered children, and to me that's WAY to young to be having sex. If they have sex with someone their own age (and in this discussion, whatever gets someone off, I consider to be sex . . . bxxx j*bs for example) they say they're ready before they're ready. And if they sleep with someone older than they are, that's still considered pedophilia.

10. I think 18 is a good age

11. i agree 18.. at 16 u still dont know what ur dong no matter how mature you are...

12. I think that it's really hard to determine an age of consent, mostly because everyone is different. I know some people who can't be mature about sex at the age of 18, and others are 16 and are better about it. But I think 16 is a fair age if there has to be one.

Honestly though, I first had sex when I was below my state's age of consent, and I really don't regret it. But I think I just got lucky!

13. I honestly dotn think thre should be a consent age,(not saying its ok for kids to go at it like rabbits) we should all make that decsion by ourselves whenever we feel we are ready we are ready, and if you made a rush decision you regret well thats life its your resposibilty your choice you have to deal with it

14. I agree that 18 does sound a lot better as you are so much more mature than when your 16. Its amazing what a difference those two years can make. However, I think some people are ready before then and it should be a personal choice of when it feels right for you. Kids are still have sex no matter what the limit is, here in the UK it's 16 but I'd say at least 1/4 of kids I went to school with had sex before 16, maybe even more. It's a bit like drinking alcohol and smoking, yes there is an age of consent, but it's not going to put people off if thats what they want to do, it may even make them want to do it more so they feel rebelious.

15. I agree. People mature at different ages. I don't think anyone should be having sex until they're aware of all of the consequences, and that requires mental maturity rather than age. I think before you have sex, you should be able to sit in front of a doctor and ask for birth control, you should talk to your boyfriend about wearing a condom or asking about STDs, you should know what you're going to do if you accidentally get pregnant. If you can't talk about these things, you shouldn't be having sex.