The 50th Annual Grammy Award Show...Including Pictures from the Red Carpet!

Feb 17, 2007
All Eyes on Kanye West, Amy Winehouse at Grammys

Despite personal struggles, the stars – and many others – are set to perform at the 50th anniversary telecast
By Brian Orloff
kanye_west.jpg
Photo by: Kristian Dowling / Getty; John D. Shearer / BeimagesThe Grammy Awards is celebrating its 50th anniversary – and this year's telecast promises plenty of what the Recording Academy offers best: thrilling live performances with an emphasis on unique musical pairings.

Nominee Kanye West was a late, but high profile, addition to the performance slate. The rapper, who leads the pack with eight nominations including album of the year, is expected to deliver a moving tribute to his mother, Donda West, featuring his hits "Stronger" and "Hey Mama," an insider reports. Many industry insiders consider West to be a frontrunner in several categories, including album of the year, for his third album, Graduation.

Also a leading nominee – and not immune to personal struggles herself – Amy Winehouse is tipped by many to be a frontrunner in several of the six categories for which she's nominated (including best new artist and record of the year for her hit "Rehab"). And while the beleaguered Brit scored a visa late Friday afternoon, she won't be making the transatlantic flight; instead, Winehouse will be performing at the ceremony via satellite. "I'm really sorry I can't be there but I appreciate that I'm being given a second chance via satellite," Winehouse said in a statement.

Among the other high-profile Grammy performers: Beyoncé will perform alongside Tina Turner. (Knowles is a contender for record of the year for her song "Irreplaceable.") Meanwhile Fergie is scheduled to duet with John Legend. And four-time nominee Rihanna will take the stage with pop-funk band The Time.

In the days leading up to the telecast, which will broadcast live from the Staples Center in Los Angeles (CBS, 8 p.m. EST), musicians flocked to Los Angeles for events like the annual MusiCares Person of the Year gala which, this year, honored the Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin. And the Black Eyed Peas performed at their annual Peapod Foundation's benefit for the Entertainment Industry Foundation, in Hollywood which included a three-hour jam session featuring performances by Common and other guests.

The event itself will feature major celebrity guests, including presenters like Miley Cyrus and Chris Brown. Unlike other award shows in the season, the Writers Guild of America granted a waiver to the Recording Academy and agreed not to picket the telecast.

Other major Grammy nominees this year include: Ne-Yo, Jay-Z, Timbaland, Justin Timberlake and T-Pain – with five each.

Lindsay Lohan Leaves Pre-Grammy Party

Lindsay Lohan stepped out of the Pre-Grammy Party at Avalon looking far more rested than here, here, or here, for that matter. Since her rehab stay has faded with the newest additions coming in and out of the whole rehab circuit, she’s got yet another chance to redeem herself. (Kirsten Dunst? Denials aside, this still came out of nowhere.)
I really hope that Lindsay’s new hair color breathes some life into her. She is looking way hotter here in Hollywood. Keep up the good work, Lindsay!

Pink Tries to Sneak Past Us

Pink looked really, really good at the People/Verizon Grammy Party– so why did she want to avoid it all and just get into the party?
icon_sad.gif

She may have been wearing a figure-hugging blue dress and a flirty hat, but she definitely wasn’t in the mood to hang about. It’s too bad– these pics would have been great if she could’ve managed to grin and bear it.

Jordin Teeters and Nearly Wipes Out!

Jordin Sparks almost fell when she got into her usual red carpet posing routine at the People/Verizon Grammy Party held at the Avalon in Hollywood, California. The stunner may have looked beautiful in her leopard print dress and jeans combo, but her heels proved to be too much as she tripped and nearly tumbled.
I’m glad we didn’t catch her eating dirt.

Timbaland Gets Honored...and Heated

Categories: grammys 2008
Lindsay Lohan was back on the party scene yet again Friday night, as Verizon Wireless and People magazine honored Timbaland.
With her newly darkened locks and a hot sequined minidress, Linds was lookin' good, holding court at a balcony VIP table with some friends. She had a water bottle in hand most of the night, but there's one vice she hasn't given up: smoking. Despite the fact that she's been pictured toting Ariva gum all over the place, she certainly was lighting up inside the venue.
Although LiLo was being social, saying hi to Miley Cyrus and table-hopping upstairs, she and Paris Hilton didn't speak at all. Paris was holding court at a table opposite Lindsay's, and they were each showing off their best dance moves to the crowd below.
Although Paris wasn't with her make-out partner from the night before, Simon Rex, she was said to be texting him from the bathroom about trying to meet up later.

Pre-Grammy Party PDA: Suck-Face Bonanza!

Categories: grammys 2008, hollywood party girl
Stars were feeling frisky at FUSE TV's pre-Grammy party at Goa Thursday night. Sundance suck-face partners Paris Hilton and Simon Rex left together holding hands, but Simon told me their relationship is purely platonic.
"It's just a little kiss for a picture we did as a joke," he told me of their Park City PDA. "It was just for fun. She's a good friend. We're not dating."
Yeah, because I always greet my friends by slipping them tongue. Inside the bash, Simon and Paris were swapping spit yet again. They must be really good friends.
Also getting amorous were Ryan Phillippe and Abbie Cornish. The two undercover lovers refused to take pics but were making out in a booth right by the dance floor. They were joined by Ry's BFF Breckin Meyer, who was dancing to Soulja Boy's "Crank That" with the couple.

Ashlee Simpson and Pete Wentz, who guest deejayed, hit the carpet hand in hand but stayed mum on their Valentine's Day plans. Pete did dish that he'd be joining Ashlee on tour. Both Ash and Pete were sick, but they came out to support Panic at the Disco, who was performing. The two stuck to sipping orange juice instead of alcohol for the night.
Acting up was <A title=http://www.eonline.com/celebrities/profile/index.jsp?uuid=e89d2f10-9497-4b81-905d-3c7e17a416bb href="http://www.eonline.com/celebrities/profile/index.jsp?uuid=e89d2f10-9497-4b81-905d-3c7e17a416bb" _extended="true">Jesse Metcalfe</A _extended="true">, who got in a fight at Boulevard 3 the same night. The Desperate dude had a glass of something in hand all night as he hit on a waitress and other female guests.

Two partygoers Paris didn't pucker up to for once: Elisha Cuthbert, whom she denied making out with in New York City, and her pizza boy/model boy-toy Alex Vaggo. Alex didn't seem to mind though...he was cozying up to a brunette babe himself.
Oh, and here's a little Grammy gossip. Not even Mark Ronson, who produced Amy Winehouse's hit album Back to Black, is sure of what's up with the rehabbing songbird. In the valet line, I overheard him say he had no idea whether she'd actually perform via satellite from London. He tried calling her cell to get the latest, but it went to voicemail.

Grammy Predix: Record of the Year

Categories: grammys 2008, predictions
The Contenders:
  • <LI _extended="true">"Irreplaceable," Beyoncé <LI _extended="true">"The Pretender," Foo Fighters <LI _extended="true">"Umbrella," Rihanna featuring Jay-Z <LI _extended="true">"What Goes Around...Comes Around," Justin Timberlake
  • "Rehab," Amy Winehouse
Our Prediction: Justin Timberlake
The Academy loves J.T., and we do, too. Especially on this song, which has the funky beats, sexy swagger and croony goodness of prime Michael Jackson without the crotch grabs and surgical masks. Despite the tough competition&#8212;pretty much anything here is worthy&#8212;this is the place to reward J.T. for doing that lame American Idol-ripoff My Grammy Moment last year. And they should consider throwing in a Spoken Word or Best Liner Notes trophy or something, too.

Beyoncé and Tina Prep a Showstopper; Plus, Whitney and Timbaland Scoop

Categories: grammys 2008, planet gossip
Tina Turner and Beyoncé! Really? Amazing!

As you may have heard, the two are teaming up for what&#8217;s being called a &#8220;special performance&#8221; at the Grammys on Sunday.
I don&#8217;t want to ruin anything for ya, so I won&#8217;t give too much away, but I promise, you do not want to miss this. It&#8217;s going to be fireworks from start to finish. Even their introduction is going to be spectacularly fabulous.
The actual performance won&#8217;t be a wham-bam-thank-ya-ma&#8217;am kind of thing, either, sources tell me. We aren't talking just one song, in other words.
And yes, Ms. Turner may be 69, but she&#8217;s still got it. She will, sources tell me, be showing off her legendary legs! (And no surprise here, I&#8217;m told that the Staples Center will be cleared and sealed tight except for a limited crew when the two fantastic femmes rehearse on Saturday night.)
But that&#8217;s not the only Grammy goodie I&#8217;m looking forward to.

First up is tonight&#8217;s In Style and the Recording Academy&#8217;s Salute to Grammys Fashion bash at Boulevard3 in Hollywood. A fashion show will feature looks from musicians turned designers like Beyoncé, Diddy, Jay-Z, Jennifer Lopez, Jessica Simpson and Justin Timberlake. The highlight for me, however, will be a performance by Grammy nominee Rihanna!
Tomorrow, One Republic, Chris Cornell, Flo Rida and Taylor Swift perform at Avalon during the Verizon Wireless and People magazine bash honoring megamusic man Timbaland. At the same time, over at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, Mark Ronson will celebrate his producer nominations for his work with Amy Winehouse.

Live from London, It's...Amy Winehouse?

Categories: grammys 2008, planet gossip, amy winehouse
The Grammy peeps really want Amy Winehouse to be a part of the big show on Sunday.
Now that it's official that the 24-year-old rehabbing songstress' visa has been denied, we know she won't be winging her way Stateside for the 50th annual shindig. But producers are still scrambling to find a way for her to appear.
This is the latest:
A crew has been put on hold in Britain for a live satellite appearance from London, a source just said. Grammy producers are hopeful, I'm told, that her remote appearance&#8212;she's up for six Grammys&#8212;will include a performance of her two top songs, &#8220;Rehab&#8221; and &#8220;You Know I&#8217;m No Good.&#8221;
Producers had been holding rehearsal time on Friday here in L.A. for Winehouse, but I'm told that it was cut from the Grammy schedule earlier today.

A Kiss from David Beckham Makes Fan Faint

Originally posted Sunday February 10, 2008 01:00 PM EST

David Beckham Photo by: Cousart-Ramirez Rios / JFX
david_beckham180.jpg
While Victoria Beckham was checking out all the latest in fashion at New York Fashion Week, across the country plenty of women were checking out her husband, David Beckham, during Jermaine Dupri's pre-Grammy party at Hollywood's Club Central.

"Beckham rolled in at about 1 a.m.," a fellow party-goer tells PEOPLE. "He looked like he was having a great time hanging with Jermaine and talking to Janet [Jackson]."

While Beckham played it cool with the party's hosts, it's safe to say he was heating things up among the women at the party. In fact, when one young female fan approached the soccer star and got a quick kiss on the cheek, she literally went weak in the knees &#8211; and fainted!

Beckham's reaction: "He looked like it was an ordinary everyday thing," an observer tells PEOPLE. "He just said 'Get her some water. She'll be ok.'"

Stars Flock to Grammy Pre-Parties

By Lesley Messer
Originally posted Sunday February 10, 2008 02:45 PM EST

Photo by: Jon Kopaloff / FilmMagic; Kevin Mazur / WireImage
fergie.jpg
With the 2008 Grammys on Sunday, the stars began to party early, hitting a bevy of Hollywood hotspots and events on Friday and Saturday.

At Friday's PEOPLE/Verizon Wireless kickoff party, Pink, dressed in a top hat, smoked cigarettes and drank cocktails with girlfriends while best new artist nominee Taylor Swift performed. Fergie worked the red carpet in pin stripes, while Miley Cyrus, dressed in red and white, joked to PEOPLE that her dad said her dress looked, "like a Valentine!"

Inside, Lindsay Lohan hung out with Travis Barker before getting introduced to Cyrus. The former teen queen and the reigning teen queen chatted, giggled and snapped pictures in the VIP balcony. Below fans screamed "I love you," to the Hannah Montana star.

The night's honoree Timbaland said his mind was elsewhere &#8211; and for good reason. Girlfriend Monique Idlett gave birth to their daughter in November.

"[Fatherhood] keeps me grounded," the producer told PEOPLE. "Now I want to live normal. All the hype and the media doesn't mean anything. I want to do normal things with my kid."

Meanwhile, at the Roosevelt Hotel, Mark Ronson threw a party hosted by Belvedere Vodka, which attracted the likes of Prince, Adam Levine, Dylan McDermott and Rumer Willis who snuggled with singer Kenna as she waited for the valet. Also snuggling: party-hopper Paris Hilton and Simon Rex.

Aretha Franklin was honored at the 2008 MusiCares Person of the Year bash at the L.A. Convention Center. Ne-Yo, John Stamos and Tony Bennett all came out to support the Queen of Soul, while performers like Josh Groban, Corinne Bailey Rae, Fantasia and John Legend joined her on stage.

"I'm going to be with my mom, pretty much that whole day, that whole night," Ne-Yo told PEOPLE of his Grammy day plans. "[We're] going to eat, going to pray and go to the show, and hopefully win some Grammys!"

The next night, he kept the partying going with a bash of his own, celebrating his nominations and those of his Def Jam label mates Jay-Z and Rihanna at new Hollywood hot spot 86.

Out for a second night, a star stuck Mark Ronson (he was standing next to Stevie Wonder on the red carpet!) talked to PEOPLE about his pal and nominee Amy Winehouse, whose album he produced.

"I wish she was here&#8230; It would be nice to celebrate this moment together," he said.

Clive Davis also threw his annual soiree on Saturday night, bringing in the likes Lindsay Lohan, Whitney Houston, nominee Carrie Underwood and Janet Jackson with Jermaine Dupri and Alicia Keys, who was one of several performers of the night. The Foo Fighters and newcomer Leona Lewis also took the stage.

Inside, Nicole Richie (who looked "amazing," according to an onlooker who asked, "What baby weight?") chatted with Ashlee Simpson, while their boyfriends Joel Madden and Pete Wentz (both in black fedors!) kept each other company.

Also showing off her post-baby body at the party was Tameka Raymond, who was by husband Usher's side all night.

Reporting by Reagan Alexander, Shruti Dhalwala, Jessica Herndon, Kim Lansing, Tiffany McGee and Nicholas White