Terror Alert in UK raise to Critical

1. Police in the UK have intercepted and arrested people overnight planning to smuggle explosive devices onto flights from the UK to USA.

Security is raised so high that no hand luggage is allowed onto planes and will have to be checked. Passports and essential items only. Massive delays are currently occuring at Heathrow and other UK airports.

BBC NEWS | UK | 'Plot to blow up planes' foiled

When will this end!???!?

2. According to CNN, threat level in the USA has also been raised to orange, and for the aviation industry it has been raised to red.

I'm basically waiting by my computer to see what emails my managers will send out. I'm also curious whether or not flight attendants will continue to be able to carry their luggage on board, and whether or not we will have to be hand searched as well. A lot of these inconveniences will affect our ability to get into and out of airports and airplanes quickly.

Moreso, I must admit I'm worried since all my flights are to the UK, and I basically go once a week.

For anyone here flying into/out of UK airports, these are the guidelines that have just been issued:

"Following this morning's police action, the Department for Transport have asked all UK airports to apply additional security measures designed to ensure passenger safety.

These measures will prevent passengers from carrying hand luggage into the cabin of an aircraft with the following exceptions (which must be placed in a plastic bag):

# Pocket size wallets and pocket size purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards, identity cards etc (not handbags);

# Travel documents essential for the journey (for example passports and travel tickets);

# Prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight (e.g. diabetic kit), except in liquid form unless verified as authentic;

# Spectacles and sunglasses, without cases;

# Contact lens holders, without bottles of solution;

# For those traveling with an infant: baby food, milk (the contents of each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passenger);

# Sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight (nappies, wipes, creams and nappy disposal bags);

# Female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if unboxed (e.g. tampons, pads, towels and wipes) tissues (unboxed) and/or handkerchiefs;

# Keys (but no electrical key fobs)

All passengers must be hand searched, and their footwear and all the items they are carrying must be X-ray screened.

Pushchairs and walking aids must be X-ray screened, and only airport-provided wheelchairs may pass through the screening point.

In addition to the above, all passengers boarding flights to the USA and all the items they are carrying, including those acquired after the central screening point, must be subjected to secondary search at the boarding gate. Any liquids discovered must be removed from the passenger.

BAA wish to stress that these are precautionary measures. During the next few days airports will be extremely busy, therefore only those intending to fly should come to the airport. Passengers are also asked to use public transport to get to and from the airport wherever possible.

Passengers are asked to be patient while these additional security measures are put in place. Delays are likely and passengers are therefore asked to allow extra time for their journey."

3. I heard about it on Virgin Radio. How awful...:throwup:

4. I'm watching it on CNN International right now. The thing about it is, is that it won't end. You can put up as many security measures as you want but you are never going to stop people from wanting to harm others in such a disgusting way. But luckily, it seems that they *think* they have caught all of them, hence the reason that their current security level is at "Critical". They aren't sure if they have all of them, so they are just doing it as a precautionary measure.

5. Brussels airport have just cancelled all flights to London (not UK as I previously typed).

They're saying on the news that up to 20 planes were targetted.

6. I was just going to post this information. The threat level is at Critical
    meaning an attack is imminent or was imminent (although they've arrested 18 people they cannot be sure that they've got everyone), so the threat level remains at the critical level.

Raspberry gave all the pertinent carryon information which will be helpful to all.

What a changed world we live in and I don't when or if this will ever end. :sad:

Flights worldwide will be affected, the domino effect.
    The US will tighten security too and will probably follow BAA guidelines to ensure the safety of all.

7. I am watching BBC now...there is such a backlog at Heathrow now as not many planes are leaving so others can't land

8. I hateeeeeeeeeeeeee' terrorism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When will world peace be ever achieved? I'm sick of these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :censor:

9. Heathrow has now been closed to all incoming flights that are not already in the air

10. Oh dear, that's TERRIBLE! I'm watching CNN International now, I hope everything is going to be alright! :amazed:

11. They're now saying 6 planes. I have to say the British authorities are fantastic at keeping the public informed.

12. Yes I think our security services are pretty hot....good job really :sad:

13. I'm watching it too. This is so terrible. I'm just glad apparently nothing bad happened so far.

14. I lost my post....
    Anyway, I was up due to insomnia and switched on the radio and heard the news. It all brought back 9/11. I live in NYC and was here on that day. All I could think of, was "Here We go again" I remember the anxiety of traveling in the wake that day and how anxious everyone was. For various reason, I have taken to traveling via rail.
    It's ironic. I was planning to visit the UK next month, but probably will postpone. There were other considerations, but this is the tipping point.
    It's ironic Each time I have made plans to travel to London, my plans have been thwared by these things. So I am not brave; if I have to board a plane, I do, but if there is a lot of things in the mix, no. What a pain. They had the same restrictions on us after 9/11. For women it is really tough. We don't have a lot of pockets and besides, this is the handbag forum. I know that's of our problem, but we love our bags and it is a shame we can't get to use them. Tip: I ship a lot of things ahead by UPS or U.S. mail, to help cope with airport craziness. You know, since it's almost five years, I've been watching and waiting to see what they would do, so this looks like this was their Happy Anniversary. Sick.

15. starbucksqueen - do still try and come to the UK.....its still a very small chance any of us would get caught up in something like terrorist attack..