Tequila Sunrise Fettucine!!

1. OK goddesses -

In light of my recent split with BF I am cooking and indulging myself (and others) in all the dishes he never liked :p. Not to be spiteful but I loooove spicy, southwest cooking and he never liked anything spicy.

This is a fun and beautiful-looking pasta dish, from Savor the Southwest, a cookbook by Barbara Pool Fenzl who rocks the house.

Serves 4
    1/2 C chicken stock
    2 T tequila
    2 T fresh squeezed OJ
    1 T grenadine syrup
    1/4 C mexican cream or sour cream
    2 C diced raw chicken
    1 T adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle chiles)
    2 T unsalted butter
    1/2 C chopped red onion
    1 T finely chopped jalapeno chile
    1 C diced red bell pepper (about 1 pepper)
    1 C diced yellow bell pepper (about 1 pepper)
    2 tsp finely chopped garlic
    1/4 C finely chopped cilantro
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 tsp salt (for pasta cooking)
    12 oz fettucine
    2 T chopped cilantro (optional, for garnish)

do ahead: chicken-chile and mexican cream mixtures can be done up to 4 hours ahead. Just bring to room temp before adding to the sateed vegetables.

In a small saucepan, combine the chicken stock, tequila, OJ and grenadine. Over med heat reduce the mixture to 1/3 C. Let cool. Stir in the mexican cream (or sour cream) and set aside.

In a nonreactive bowl, toss the diced raw chicken and adobo sauce. Set aside [pursegrrl note: I actually use a 4C pyrex measuring cup for this because it's easy to see how much chicken you have and easy to dump into your skillet later]

In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add teh onion, jalapeno, bell peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cilantro and cook 1 minute more. Add the chicken-chile mixture and the stock-cream mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked and the sauce is thick, about 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the 2 tsp salt and fettucine. Cook until al dente, about 8-10 minutes. Drain well but do not rinse.

Toss the saue with the drained fettucine and divide among 4 plates. Garnish with additional chopped cilantro if desired.

Cheers! :wlae:

2. Sounds great!!

3. That dish sounds so pretty!

I am a wimp when it comes to chilis so I am going to have to come up with some substitures.

I love pomegranate. I make use pomegranite juice on turkey. Grenadine and chicken sounds like a natural!
    Why I haven't I thought of that combo before? :noggin:

4. ^^ no worries there, Prof! You can eliminate the spicy stuff such as the adobo sauce and jalapeno and it's still a great dish! The red and yellow peppers are mild, especially after sauteeing, and it does look pretty with the red onion too. If you don't like cilantro you could always substitute Italian flatleaf parsley too!

5. Lord, I hope I don't become intoxicated by eating this! Still, I'm going to try it. This recipes sounds good.:drool:

6. Sounds good. I have printed off your recipe so I can give it a try.