Telling the fake from the real

1. Maybe some jewelry experts can help hone my eye!

How do you notice the difference between gold-tone versus real gold? Or cubic zarconia from diamonds?

Just curious! :shame:

2. Ah, I love jewelry questions! :nuts:

Any thing that's real in the way of say, 14 karat gold jewelry will have 14K or 585 stamped on it. If it's 18K it is either that or 750. Platinum can have PT950 or PT900, sometimes PLAT. Sterling is either SS, or 925 or Sterling.

Any jewelry with cubic zirconia should have CZ marked on the inside of the ring or somewhere on the metal. If it's not marked, that doesn't mean it's a diamond. Legally, CZ jewelry should have the CZ marking but older pieces and some manufacturers overseas won't do it. The easiest way is to go to a jeweler, better yet a pawn shop, and have them test it. They have (forget the name) a gizmo with a small prod that gives them one reading for CZ one for diamonds.

If you really know your diamonds and have a loupe, it's easy to spot natural diamonds unless you have a D Flawless in your hands. If so: LUCKY YOU!!!!:yahoo:

3. But how can you tell when it's on the hand of the woman dining next to you at Nobu?

If you can't pick up the piece and look at it, how can you tell?

4. Well, you could be tacky and ask, but you haven't struck me as the tacky type!:angel:

5. Unfortunately for that very reason, DH hates it when I wear any real jewelry. You would be amazed by what people mistake for real when worn by certain people. But I still love and crave more!!!

6. ^^LOL! Thanks! {I think!}

I think that may what Annie was asking. . . is there not an obvious tip off when it's on someone?

7. It depends on the quality of the cubic zirconia. The cheap ones 1 ct goes for less that $30, are very easy to detect. But the high quality one are very hard to discern. You would usually need a loupe, or even a diamond detector to find out if it is a fake or not.

8. The larger the cubic, the easier. It's easier if you see someone wearing something and being animated (e.g. talking, waving their hands around). The cubics do refract the light but it just doesn't seem to "move" as much, it's really flat compared to the real deal.

If you ever get the chance to compare unset stones, you can do the line test with a loupe. Draw a line on a piece of paper, and place the stone over it. The line can be clearly seen through the cubic but because the diamond spreads the light so much more, there would be no line there.

It's REALLY difficult to tell moissanite from diamonds, older style diamond testers (thermal) were tricked by their similarity.

9. Ah, but often not if it's vintage, or antique.

Also, because diamonds are far harder than CZ, the edge of the facets (or facet lines) will generally (although, not always) look sharper, or 'crisper' on a real diamond. :yes:

10. Yep! That's what I was wondering, thanks for clarifying, Swanky.

11. The double refraction of moissanite is a dead giveaway every single time, so it's actually easier to spot moissanite than CZ. :yes: It's why I wear my moissanite studs more than my diamond ones--I love the sparkle!