Tell me how you think LV relates to going "green" !!!

1. One of my friends confessed that she couldn't understand how someone like myself (a hybrid-driving vegetarian) could spend money on LV. She said just the cost of manufacturing luxury goods and the price of these goods themselves is totally contrary to being environmentally aware, or "green". I always told myself that carrying my canvas Speedy that could last 20 years was in some way not wasteful, but I am curious if my friend may have a point.

Do you think luxury goods themselves, and buying LV especially totally goes against the move to think environmentally? I'm interested in all responses. Thanks !!

2. Well these bags are handmade with either non chemically treated products, or products with very little treatment. Leather in general does not harm the environment, unlike fake leathers that the making of pollutes the environment to no end. I would hope the leathers they use are from animals that the whole animal is used, and not only killed for their skin.

I have never heard of anything specifically about LV going green, except for those "Green" storefronts, which i have still not seen IRL.

3. I'm also an earth loving vegetarian !

I'm not sure if it can really relate.. the best that I can think of, is that the processing with heavily craftsmanship involved items may have less lost involved since the hand workmanship would be able to conserve and use materials more efficiently than machine produced items.

Otherwise.. I'm not sure ! But hey, vegetarian hippie LV lovers unite !

4. what does the cost have to do with anything? what about how much gas it takes to import foods, and we do that every day. right down to imported olive oil, wines from france and spain, nuts, fruit, beef. clothes made in china, etc. And go through a lot more of those types of things than bags. Look around you, most of the things are imported, so high end hand bags are nothing in comparison.

5. Actually, leather is AWFUL for the environment. I buy all of my bags second hand for this reason. :sad:

Turning skin into leather actually requires massive amounts of energy and dangerous chemicals, including mineral salts, formaldehyde, coal-tar derivatives, and various oils, dyes, and finishes, some of them cyanide-based. Most leather produced in the U.S. is chrome-tanned; all wastes containing chromium are considered hazardous by the EPA. Tannery effluent contains large amounts of pollutants, such as salt, lime sludge, sulfides, and acids. The process of tanning stabilizes the collagen or protein fibers in skins so that they actually stop biodegrading so that leather doesn't rot right off your feet. Additionally, to raise the animals whose skin eventually becomes leather, trees are cleared to create pastureland, vast quantities of water are used, and feedlot and dairy-farm runoff create a major source of water pollution. Huge amounts of fossil fuels are consumed in livestock production.

6. I think fashion in general isn't so great for the environment. The most environmentally friendly thing is to wear everything till they get torn, mend them, and wear it again. But maybe an expensive bag comes closest. (H&M and high street fashion are meant to be disposable. Not so for LV bags).

7. leather production is actually one of absolute worst when it comes to things that harm the environment. and sadly, 99% of the time, an animal is only killed for it's skin and the rest of it is not used and goes to waste. though of course companies don't want you to know or believe that, it's a sad fact. :sad:

8. i myself did not know of any GREEN movement by LV but it would be so nice if thye did to set an example.....

are ALL LV stuff handmade? :confused1: if they r all handmade, thet have ot employ LOTS of workers..:p i assume most are assembly made?:graucho:

9. well, this is my personal take on this issue. i used to frequently purchase cheaper wallets, card cases, coin pouches, agendas, manbags, get bored with them and change them ever so often. those that i did not use anymore get thrown away or dumped into a storage box.

but eversince i picked up LV, i stopped buying the other accessories and stuck faithfully. i saved more this way, and feel that the less i buy of anything else the more it helps the environment because it equals less waste on my part. ;)

10. I did not know that about leather. I guess I have just heard the opposite. Sorry.

Handmade does not mean hand sewn. An assembly line has nothing to do with it, Hermes is the only bag company that I know that uses one craftsman per bag, and thats only on a few particular items. Like Ayla said, Im sure the manufacturing process saves energy and materials unlike lets say a sweat shop where the materials are so cheap they are disposable.

11. not to dispute what you said, but I was just wondering, do you think Louis Vuitton uses inferior leathers? I dont know where they get the leather, I dont think most people do, but I would think its not from cats and dogs and cattle who have their eyes gouged out? What about vegetable tanned leather or boiled leather? Aldehyde tanning is not the only process used. I know that by using any kind of leather period, they are in a way supporting the trade, but I am just saying they may be one of the companys that might resist temptation to put cost over quality.

12. This is an interesting question! Of course the smartass part of me requires that I respond with "if I buy an LV, my green definitely GOES," but I wonder now about the canvas bags. If you have a bag that is good quality, it lasts a long time. The problem with this theory is that many of us have more than one bag! However, these types of items can also be "recycled" by selling second-hand, whereas some other bags that are less expensive don't have any lasting value (or quality) and end up in landfills.

13. go to www.lvmh.com they have a huge section in measures they are taking to be more environmentally friendly go & check it out you'll be surprised

14. good thread, good question too.

If you ask me, luxury is meant to be WASTEFUL. It wouldn't be called luxury if all the manufacturers/producers became ethical and environmental and squimmished to save costs. Luxury is about splurging, and no matter what brand tells you that they're trying their best to be environmentally friendly (which I'm sure LV is a leader here compared to other luxury brands by cutting off an inch here for the trousers/sleeves, saving a lil here on boxes and there for thread...), overall, there is much more wasted than what is actually used. Think about Hermes--> don't they choose THE best piece of leather skin to be used (which I think would be the belly part), what happens to the rest of the animal? meh... that's 10 000$ for that leather + some handiwork.