Teen charged with killing women responding to a BABYSITTING job on Craislist!!

1. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Bail set at $1 million for man accused of murder

**didn't want to paste this in other thread. That was more about Katherine as the beautiful person she was. This is more about how she died and the legal process under way. Innocent until proven guilty, but this was just a senseless crime.**

Information released today reveals that Katherine Ann Olson was shot in the back. Police found a .357 Magnum in Anderson’s house, along with blood stains and drag marks on stairs. A neighbor saw Olson's car parked in front of Anderson's house for over two hours Thursday.
    By Curt Brown, Emily Johns and Jim Adams, Star Tribune
    Last update: October 30, 2007 – 11:52 AM
    Bail has been set at $1 million in the case of Michael John Anderson, a 19-year-old man from Savage, who has been charged with second degree murder in the killing of a woman while she was answering an ad for a nanny on craigslist.org.Information released today reveals that Katherine Ann Olson, 24, was shot in the back. Police found a .357 Magnum and shell casings in Anderson’s bedroom, along with blood on the walls and mattress. Blood stains and drag marks were found on the stairs from the upper level to the lower level of the split-level home.
    Anderson lives with his parents, but today the county attorney said they do not believe anyone else was home at the time of the shooting.
    A neighbor saw Olson's gold Hyundai Elantra parked in front of Anderson's house for over two hours Thursday late afternoon.
    The car was later found in a park five blocks from Anderson's house with Olson's body in the trunk, her ankles tied with red twine and her legs partially covered with a sleeping bag. In a dumpster nearby, police found a garbage bag containing bloody towels, including one with Anderson's name on it in marker. Olson's cell phone was found wrapped in one of the towels.
    Scott County Attorney Patrick Ciliberto said after the hearing today that there was no sign of sexual assault, and no evidence that Anderson knew Olson previously. He said the case is still under investigation, and that they still don’t know what motive may have been. “She was a talented, bright young woman. Her life is over and there is no explanation for it,” Ciliberto added.
    Anderson told police that he had nothing to do with the murder, and denied having phone contact with Olson, although cell phone records indicated he had talked with her Thursday morning. Anderson also said he had not used Craig's List since January of this year, but the email in the address in the ad matched Anderson's. Anderson denied using that email address, saying he had tried to cancel that account the week before, and that his mother and three friends also had access to it.
    When confronted with phone records and other evidence, Anderson then admitted he was present when Olson was killed, but said that he did not kill her. Instead, Anderson said she was killed by a friend of his who "thought it would be funny."
    Olson's roommate was the last person to have contact with her Thursday morning, and cell phone records indicated Olson contacted Anderson's cell phone at around 9 a.m.
    In the hearing today, Anderson stared blankly ahead, his hands cuffed in front of him, wearing orange jail garb.
    His lawyer, Robert M. Speeter, said that they would wait until the next hearing on Nov. 16 to discuss lowering the bail. He added that Anderson’s parents attended the hearing, standing with a large group of the media outside a glassed-in hearing room at the jail.
    “They can’t believe he’s in this predicament. They’re very shocked.”
    Monday, a Wayzata nanny agency sent memos to 12,000 young women in its national database, urging caution online. A University of Minnesota student considered a different, perhaps safer, way to sell her $850 flute.
    As the popularity of craigslist.org and other online classified ad sites has soared in Minnesota, the killing of Katherine Ann Olson is creating new unease among the thousands of people who use such websites to find jobs, love or a buyer for their old junk.
    "This generation is growing up with Facebook, MySpace and Craigslist to the point where they have become commonplace," said Joe Keeley, president of College Nannies & Tutors. "Whether you're selling a couch or looking for a job, you need to be cautious."
    But when there is a financial interest, such as finally selling an old car or landing a job, "caution is sometimes not at the forefront of one's mind," said Craigslist spokeswoman Susan MacTavish Best.
    But experts say that fingers should not be pointed at the Internet.
    Consumers should always be savvy about meeting with strangers -- even if you have talked to them or e-mailed them -- and let common sense be your guide.
    The Olson killing is why Johanna Epley is reconsidering how to sell her flute. She uses Craigslist once in while, but the classified site's local focus made her feel safer. A week ago, she posted the $850 flute online and got two responses that she believed were shady.
    "After seeing the scams, and hearing about [the killing], I've been kind of developing a discomfort with online interaction," she said. "I think I might not try to sell my flute online anymore."
    Olson's killing, if proven to be tied to Craigslist, would be the first linked to the San Francisco-based company's site, said MacTavish Best. In Los Angeles, police are investigating the disappearance of a 19-year-old woman who might have met her abductor on Craigslist.
    For the most part, though, such sites are considered safe and useful, considering the volume of traffic: In its 12-year history, Craigslist users have posted 450 million ads.
    And Internet alternatives such as personal ads in the newspaper, bulletin boards or buying over the phone pose the same kind of risks.
    "It's not the Internet," said Nora Paul, who runs the Institute for New Media Studies at the University of Minnesota. "It's just using common sense when you go into a situation when you don't know what the whole story might be."
    Keeley said that Internet users fear getting scammed more than physically harmed, but Olson's killing might prompt a "slight awakening."
    Responding to a Craigslist ad for a part-time job, Cassandra Crawford agreed to help a photographer clean up his house in Farmington and sell equipment he no longer used. She assumed he lived or worked in town, not in the middle of nowhere.
    "As I was driving down the dirt road, I did consider the thought that he could harm me and no one would find me for a very long time," said Crawford, who doesn't scare easily and continued toward the house. "He turned out to be a very nice guy with a very friendly German shepherd. But he could have turned out to be a nutso."
    According to the Pew Internet and American Life Project, 17 percent of Internet users, or 25 million Americans, have sold something online. And visits to classified ad websites have grown 80 percent, according to the latest numbers available from 2005.
    In Minnesota, Craigslist has seen an 84 percent increase in the number of posts since January, with more than 3 million in 2007. And despite Olson's slaying, people looking for nannies continue to click on Craigslist.
    What makes that site different is that almost all the transactions happen face to face -- the site is divided regionally -- and people feel like they can trust themselves to know if they are dealing with unsavory characters.
    "I'm a trusting Minnesotan," Crawford said. "Those kinds of things don't really happen here. ... I guess we're all kind of naive."
    MacTavish Best said that Craigslist "absolutely" helps law enforcement investigate crimes that may be facilitated by the website. She wouldn't comment on whether Savage police contacted the company, because she said police typically ask the company not to comment on specific cases.
    "It's kind of hard to check people out beforehand," said Curt Dahle of Bloomington, who is selling a mountain bike on Craigslist. "You have to go with your gut instincts, to see if they're a freak or a decent person."

© 2007 Star Tribune. All rights reserved.

2. this is sooooo tragic... there is a facebook group created in her memory, and from what ppl wrote about her, she seemed really sweet and had so much going for her.

so he claims his friend killed her, thinking it "would be funny"??? ughhhhh... i cannot believe how close this hits to home. i have family living in Savage and nearby suburbs. i hope justice will prevail and he gets what he deserves.
  3. Teen charged with killing woman seeking job

She answered baby-sitting ad; he claims friend killed her

[​IMG] Scott County Sheriff
    Michael John Anderson

[​IMG] View related photos

[​IMG] Updated: 12:09 p.m. CT Oct 30, 2007

MINNEAPOLIS - A 19-year-old man suspected of killing a woman who answered an online ad for a baby sitter was charged Tuesday with second-degree murder.
    Michael John Anderson is accused of shooting Katherine Ann Olson in the back at his home in suburban Savage, according to the criminal complaint filed in Scott County District Court.
    Bail was set at $1 million.
    Olson had gone to Anderson's home Thursday to inquire about a baby-sitting job she had seen advertised on the popular Internet bulletin board Craigslist, authorities said.
    Authorities said her blood was found in Anderson's home and a gun was found in his bedroom. A neighbor saw Olson's car sitting in front of Anderson's house for more than two hours Thursday, the complaint said.
    The body of the 24-year-old Minneapolis woman was found Friday night in the trunk of her car, which was abandoned in a park about five blocks from Anderson's home. Olson's purse and a bag containing bloody towels, one of which bore Anderson's name, were found in trash nearby.
    Anderson has been in the Scott County Jail since his arrest late Friday.
    Cell phone records indicated he talked with Olson on Thursday morning, the court documents said. Anderson also said he had not used Craigslist since January, although the e-mail address in the ad matched his address. He told police his mother and three friends had access to the account.
    When confronted with evidence, Anderson admitted he was present during Olson's slaying but said the killing was committed by a friend of his who "thought it would be funny," according to the complaint.

MSN http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21546336/?GT1=10450
  4. some people, are just evil.
  5. ^i agree. that's horrible.. i don't see how people can find humor in that...
  6. I never thought Craiglist was reliable, but this is horrific !!!
  7. Me too. Unfortunately, my extended family has experienced this twice. I look at this girl, and I think of if my little cousin would have still have that innocent smile and glowing cheeks like this girl (they would have been the same age). Just weird connection in my brain, and sadness. So much potential lost:tdown:
  8. Sorry I apparently reposted!! There is already a topic like this on the forum, mod please close if you so wish,.
  9. Funny? Ugh.

This guy looks like a hideous convict anyway. Might as well hang him now and save society from future misfortune.
  10. Craigslist is not to blame. The internet is a portal that is accessible to anyone. Including monsters like this one.
  11. ^ I agree. You just have to be VERY careful if you are using something like craigslist.
  12. I agree. I am actually working a babysitting job I found through craigslist. I emailed back and forth for about a week and a half, getting information about the family and whatnot, I then talked to her on the phone, did a background check, met her in a public resturaunt for an interview, then finally met her kids. You just have to be careful!