Techniques/tips to combat the blues

1. Hi girls,

I have been in remission from depression for a while now and doing really well. However with a new job and everything I have been really stressed out and for me stress leads to anxiety which eventually leads to depression. I don't think I am depressed right now but I am of low mood and have the blues.

What are your techniques tips to keeping the blues at bay ? Basically a lot of the stress is work related because I am just starting and still in the "adjustment" period. I am also super tired by the time I get home because it is just so demanding.

All I know is I can't let myself slip back into depression again because it took everything in me (+medication) to get out of it.

Thanks all.

2. A routine helps me, where I include daily exercise, I pack my lunch for work and I try to meditate a few minutes a day. I also try to find the moments of "calm" within the chaos of the day, if that makes any sense. Being mindful while I tackle hard chores often helps me stay in the moment and not get as overwhelmed. Also, breaking down big tasks into small manageable steps is helpful for me. Sounds like you have a lot of adjustments going on right now, please be gentle with yourself.

3. I've been through this too! I was a Regional Manager in my previous occupation and I was under alot of stress which lead to depression. I would be under so much stress, I would grind my teeth when I did get some sleep. I finally went to see a counselor and he help me alot. Like Jellybebe said daily exersise was a key that stimulated my moods. Hard chores first and complile a list and check the tasks off. I used to be overwelmed by just sitting there thinking of all the things I used had to do. With the check off list, I just did the tasks and I got more things done that I thought I would get done in one day.... Hope this helps.... Also do things you enjoy! example going to movie, take time for yourself....

4. Physical things you can do that affect your moods....

eating healthy
    exercising
    drinking enough water (this is different for everyone)

But...on the other hand, the emotional hand, I think alot of people put a lot of pressure on themselves. You have to sit back and take a deep breath and say to yourself, "I am going to control this situation, it is not going to control me". I know that's easier said than done, but the key is trying it. You have got to remember to commend yourself and give yourself credit for all the things you DO accomplish, not just stress over the ones you don't.

Many of us fall into a trap of focusing on the stressful things and just letting the good things fall by the wayside.

Just the fact that you can see something in yourself and write about it like this is huge! Do you know the statistics on the people that cannot do that for themselves?

So, the first thing you should do is to pat yourself on the back for doing this well so far, and then remember to take things one day at a time. None of us can really do anymore than that. The days themselves come one at a time so try to pace yourself that way.

Also, if at anytime you feel that you need more than you should see someone who can talk to you and give you various behavior modification methods which can also help to empower you to feel better about yourself.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like!!!

5. Going outside for a quick walk and some fresh air always helps me get out of
    a funk. Even if I am insanely busy at work and it's pouring rain outside, I will go for a brisk walk and think about all of the positive things in my life. It seems to help.

6. Sorry hon, I know how this feels and I tried all the conventinal ways to combat it, and I couldn't. I was medically, clinically depressed and it wasn't going away, no matter what I did. They put me on a low dose of anti-depressant and I feel so much better. I look at it now as if it was really a disease, like diabetes or high cholesterol, and the only thing that really makes this better is medication.

I do hope you get to feeling better soon. I would suggest charting your moods and seeing if there's some kind of pattern. Then show it to your doctor.

7. Thankyou for all the tips ! I was experiencing some anxiety earlier regarding two things at work (even though its my day off !).

I find it helpful to have list - once you write those things off the list you can take a load off your mind and attend to them later.

Don't make work the sole focus of your life. Have other things to do. If work is the only thing that you are doing then anything negative/stressful will seem amplified because that's the only thing going on for you. You need somewhere to go/something to do when work gets too hot under the collar.

Also work is work. Don't kill yourself at someone else's expense. Take your TIME to do things, and stop rushing as doing things slower will help reduce stress levels. Don't be a martyr/hero please because unfortunately nobody will recognize your efforts. By this I mean, don't work through your lunch hour or stay half an hour later just to get the work done. Put YOUrself first rather than work.

Learn to leave work at the door. Once you walk through those doors at the end of the day you need to learn to switch off your mind and start thinking about those other things in your life that are important. Remember if the only thing you have is work then more than likely you will still think about it at home and therefore bring the stress home too !

I also recommend taking two 5 minute toilet breaks during the day. One you need to go the toilet (because you should be drinking lots of water) and two, it just lets your mind relax if only for a while.

During lunch, do something that will take your mind off the stress too. I recommend something escapist like reading a book etc which takes you into another world.

When all is said and done, work will always be there, its not going to disappear - so you shouldn't stop living your life and doing things you enjoy just because of work. Work is NOT your life and should not OVERTAKE your life. Leaving work in the workplace is something I need to master.

8. I have trouble with depression, and sometimes it just happens. I think there is a definitely a hormonal factor to it.

I did start taking B Complex vitamins on the advice of my mom, and I think that has helped. Also, I need to get adequate sleep. Another thing I do is try to tell myself positive thoughts when I start feeling negative. Like if I start to feel bad about myself I'll just pretend I don't and try to think about the good things. And sometimes it helps just to have a good cry.

9. I would strongly suggest a bit of exercise. It worked wonders for my mood! I hope you feel better soon, too. A big hug!

10. For me, it's a combination of vitamins (multi, extra B, extra C and zinc), a great therapist, taking a bit of time for myself to reflect on things at night...keeping a cool head and work and EXERCISE.

My choice of exercise is perhaps a bit unusual, but I play ice hockey. Going to the rink at night and being in a brightly lit, cold environment and working out HARD is very good for me mentally and physically, especially in the cold, dark winter months.

And EE, your post is so spot on: "...Also work is work. Don't kill yourself at someone else's expense. Take your TIME to do things, and stop rushing as doing things slower will help reduce stress levels. Don't be a martyr/hero please because unfortunately nobody will recognize your efforts. By this I mean, don't work through your lunch hour or stay half an hour later just to get the work done. Put YOUrself first rather than work.

Learn to leave work at the door. Once you walk through those doors at the end of the day you need to learn to switch off your mind and start thinking about those other things in your life that are important. Remember if the only thing you have is work then more than likely you will still think about it at home and therefore bring the stress home too !"

11. Yoga really works for me.

When I am feeling really blue yoga helps me release all those emotions. I often cry during really intense sessions, so I tend to do it alone, or warn my instructor in advance ;) But afterwards, I feel like I let go of all those feelings that were dragging me down.

12. I feel for you! I've been in one job in my life that nearly destroyed me and took months to dig myself out of the emotional grave that I felt I had fallen into. I got so bad I was only sleepin 2 or 3 hours a night. Audio books and music helped me loads because they drowned out the never ending thoughts that were keeping me awake.

Now, though I have very little stress, my dh attributes regular exercise as the main thing that improves my mood. I also think regular fresh air, which in winter can be difficult! I also take St. Johns Wort when I'm feeling particularly low.

13. I think you posted before that you withdrew from Paxil without medical approval or supervision? Your having been under some kind of treatment that required drug therapy until you yourself stopped it a few weeks ago makes me very reluctant to give you any kind of suggestion for "normal coping", which I would do for anyone else who was just experiencing a momentary low.

I seriously suggest that you see a medical professional if you feel this way right now.

14. I did speak to my doctor about it and currently he sees no need to put me back on the Anti-depressant and quite frankly I don't want to go there. I am feeling quite good at the moment but am really careful to not go down that depression spiral again so i think anyone's suggestions will be extremely helpful !

Thankyou for your concern as well - its really nice that someone noticed !

15. The thing that makes me feel best when I'm down is just being with the ones I love.