taxes

1. im from ireland and going new york for shoppin i was enquiring bout taxes they add onto goods in new york some people said you can go to customer services in macy and bloomingdale say your a tourist and you get this discount card so in other words you cancel out the taxes does any1 know if any other stores do this and do you have spend so much before you get the discount card or do you just get it however much you spend:confused1:

2. i'm not sure if the info below is up to date, but here's what i found on the internet:

"If you go to the visitor centre with some ID proving you're a tourist you get a 11% discount card, and you can go back and get a new one every day! We went on december 26th when they had 40% and we could still take an extra 11% off!!

For every $100 you spend if you take the receipts back to the visitor centre you also get a free gift."

btw, sales tax is 8.375% so it's cheaper than europe, and with the 11% discount card, you're ahead! if you get here before end of july, you can still hit all the final cut sales.

3. Some of the maps and activities books have coupons on there too. You can find them at the hotels.

4. Yes, randr is correct about getting 11% off at Bloomingdales. Last week they gave me a 15% off card because they ran out of the 11% ones at Bloomies. You can get one everyday. All you have to show is your ID and they will put you in their computer. They look you up the next day. If you spend over $100, they will give you either a cool summer tote bag or a B keychain. The lady there was very nice and gave me both. Macy's has the same policy, although I am not sure about how much % off. Saks ships items to your address, without chargin you tax.

5. thanks ye guys for the info cause its my first time goin just one more quick question when you say go to the visitors centre where is it do you mean visitior centre in macy or where sorry now for all questions but i do really appereciate all the help

6. Yes, go to the visitor center at Macy's/Bloomingdales, just ask people at the door where it is. They will direct you to the center(s). Have fun!:tup:

7. That's really great to know. I often wondered myself. If you plan to go outside of NY, you will find that many places don't charge tax on clothing like NY does.

8. like the best state in the US, NEW JERSEY!!!

hahahah ;)

9. I didn't know until now...I always thought we can get the taxes back. Is this only applied to stores in NY?
    How about other stores like Bloomingdales/Macys/NM/Saks in other states, i.e. DC, Virginia? :graucho:

10. I didn't know until now...I always thought we cannot get the taxes back. Is this only applied to stores in NY?
    How about other stores like Bloomingdales/Macys/NM/Saks in other states, i.e. DC, Virgina? :graucho: